RE: [probe_control] Re: Comets, Eggs, and Vincent (Oh my!)

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2010
      Hello Dino

      Space travel doesn�t match up to any metaphor. I suspect when long distance space travel is worked out it won�t be anything like SF depicts it neither. Not even sure airports would match come to that. You�d have to go to gate 300 more like.

      Re: American omelettes. Wouldn�t make much difference to me. Eggs give me headaches. We can�t get over some of the names you chaps call your food. I mean, eggs over easy is just lightly cooked eggs.

      Re: grammar. It helps if reading is in your blood. �So many books, only one life-time� is my mantra. It helps to have good diction and listening to how things sound.
      Probably the biggest problem I see amateurs and pros make is confusing �either� and �neither�.

      I presume you�ve got at least a skeleton plot laid down before writing?? Doesn�t mean you can�t deviate but then you�ll know that it affects as well.
      Something that happens with a lot of amateur writers is they run out of steam half-way through. If they can�t keep their interest in the story then how can a reader?? When I do my stories, I like to surprise the audience so it keeps me on my toes.

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: LambuLambu@...
      Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 12:46:32 -0400
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] Re: Comets, Eggs, and Vincent (Oh my!)

      Geoff,

      I understand what you said before about catching a ride on a comet,
      and the aspect of never returning home because it would basically take
      several lifetimes. I was just using the comet-hopping in relation to the
      underground as a metaphor, but after your response I believe I should have used an
      airport instead. Like you say, comets are not that close together (as
      trains would be). Hopping comets to get to places and back home again is more
      akin to landing at Gate 2 of a huge airport and trying to make your
      connecting flight which leaves from Gate 23, which at some airports I've been is a
      brisk 10-minute walk, even walking along the moving walkways (which gives the
      effect of running). Unless your timing is perfect you'll miss that
      connecting comet, and that's if you even have a way of getting to it.

      American omelettes? I'm not sure which box you've seen, but the omelettes
      my wife makes are the traditional sort. She fills the pan with lightly
      scrambled eggs, waits for them to firm up, then adds the fillings, and when she
      feels the time is right folds it in half to finish cooking. She may flip
      it once if needed. What you described sounds more like scrambled eggs with
      stuff thrown in. I've seen that on all of the ships I've been stationed on.
      People who are usually in a hurry and can't be bothered to wait for the
      omelette will usually ask for - and I've heard the order to the cook - "A ham,
      sausage, and cheese omelette, but scramble it up so it cooks faster." (My
      thoughts: why not just order "Scrambled eggs with ham, sausage, and
      cheese"? If you're in that much if a hurry it would certainly be faster to say.)
      Personally, I prefer the traditional omelette.

      Vincent Price also lent his voice to "The 13 Ghosts of Scooby Doo"
      back in the mid 1980s. (I'd forgotten about that one.) And now Cartoon
      Network's new series "Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated" is tipping the hat by
      having Shaggy and Scooby watching "Vincent Van Ghoul Movies". Vincent Van Ghoul
      was a main character in "13 Ghosts" who was voiced by Price and even
      looked like him. The actor voicing Van Ghoul in "Mystery Incorporated" does a
      decent job of capturing Price's unique vocal qualities, and the character's
      appearance is that of the Van Ghoul character of "13 Ghosts".

      When it comes to my grammar checker, I basically ignore it where the
      dialogue is concerned. I take second looks at sentences where the checker
      highlights something, and decide whether or not it really needs altering. If
      I can't decide which way sounds (reads) better, I have a sort of failsafe
      which I use... ("Honey? Would you read these two sentences and tell me which
      one sounds better?") My wife is a great help there. She's read thousands
      of books (literally) in her lifetime and continues reading almost
      constantly. She sadly grew up with a father who believed television was an instrument
      of the devil and refused to have one (he was more than a little
      unbalanced) so she took to books and stayed with them even after moving away from
      home to live with her older sister. She's read just about every genre you
      could imagine, including documentaries and travel guides.

      I agree with you on the comma before 'but' issue. Sometimes a sentence
      just doesn't read right with that comma in there. (The same goes for a
      comma before 'which', which is also one of those "American" grammar
      differences. Sometimes putting that comma in just doesn't help with the flow of the
      intended thought.)

      I'm also working on a different story, a historical fiction about a
      woman lighthouse keeper and her betrothed who is the first mate on a clipper
      ship. This one is in a more serious tone than the SF story and is set in
      1880. I go back and forth between the two which gives me a fresh perspective
      on each as I re-read them. I do find that allows me to go back to one
      without having to step back for several months; I can go back after just a few
      weeks and see something that I missed the last time or doesn't make sense
      now. Flip-flopping like that also helps keep my thought processes active, and
      with the medication I've to take for my chronic injury is a good thing.

      Dino.

      In a message dated 10/7/2010 6:14:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gfwillmetts@... writes:

      Hello Dino

      Where I live is on the edge of a deep valley so a lot of the bad weather
      will go over head and hit the other end of town although if we get it, the
      rest is in as much trouble.
      Unless your Net connection uses electricity lines, it�s always likely to
      be affected by climate change.

      Re: 2061. It�s not one of Clarke�s greatest books. I think he made a
      mistake of keeping bringing back characters from the first book and upgrading
      the technology far too quickly. Thinking about it, Clarke wasn�t the first
      to suggest comet riding. Some chap called Jules Verne chose a similar route.
      Unfortunately, there are no railways in space. Very few comets are close
      to each other in space and most go outside of the solar system. If you
      planned a round trip you�d never survive. Halley�s Comet takes over 80 years so
      you could barely rock around the clock. :-)

      I�m still puzzled by the American omelette not being a complete piece.
      What I�ve seen on the box we would call scrambled eggs.

      �Theatre Of Blood� was about four years prior to Phibes. Vincent Price, as
      you say, was really talented with an unmistakable voice.

      Re: grammar checkers. There are option controls to allow colloquial speech
      or you would be doomed writing dialogue. They should only be used as a
      guide not run your word processor. If they were bright, then they�d do their
      own writing.

      Re: telepathy. This is the point I was making about recognising body
      language of the people you know about you. A lot of it is unconscious signs. I
      mean, you would know if someone was getting angry and not just by them
      raising their voices.
      As a clinical empath, I can link into anyone near me. Some have higher
      empath reactive response than others and just think they know me which is
      always weird for strangers. I can raise you on the phone link, I can think of
      someone I haven�t seen for a while and within two weeks see them in town.

      Re: writing. The best technique for doing a self-edit is once you�ve
      finished a draft, to go away from it for a week or so and come back with fresh
      eyes. A lot of the mistakes stick out like sore thumbs. I can do that over a
      shorter interval if I�m writing more than one piece at the same time.
      Modifying from a UK perspective to a US one if I�m submitting abroad isn�
      t that difficult. A lot of UK publishers are owned by US publishers these
      days. I doubt if an American publisher would insist on a comma before a �but�
      unless it needed it. The trick is to listen to the sentence. If the tone
      changes, like here for instance, then you know where to put the commas in.

      By the by, I used that example of the scuba gear in my editorial this
      month. Let�s hope not too many people try it for real although head dipping for
      crabs is fun.

      Always remember the human body is the worse case of parallel evolution.

    • galacticprobe
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
        Geoff,

        Sorry to be out of touch for so long, but military retirements take up a lot of time: physicals, paperwork, getting with the VA (Veterans' Affairs) people to review records, then going through evaluations to see how much disability you're eligible for. Add to that this vertigo problem that still plagues me as well as a bum leg from that sciatic nerve damage and the meds I'm taking for it all... Fun in a bucket.

        Space travel? I doubt I'll ever do any thanks to my physical state. So I won't be comet hopping (or running from any gate to another; I barely make it walking - I can't run even if I had to). So I'll be planted on Terra Firma until someone kindlt drops a fully operational Police Box on my front doorsteps.

        Eggs: The whole "over easy" terminology simply means the eggs are cooked slightly on one side, and then flipped over to lightly cook the other, usually when someone feel that "sunny side up" doesn't cook the white part enough. However, an over easy egg still has some gooey whites, just not as much as a sunny side up.
        Over medium - a term I never heard until I got stationed in Virginia - is an over easy egg cooked until only the yoke is soft and everything else is firm (my personal favorite.) Over hard is cooked with a broken yoke so nothing is soft, and those are usualy cound on those egg sandwiches.

        Books: I've read quite a few. Not as many as my wife has, mind you, as she's read just about every book written in the English language. I do share your disdain with the misuse of words: neither and either are amongst them. People I went through school with - I know they had to pass the same english and grammer tests that I did - are now misusing words like there, their, they're... "I went to there house for dinner last night." "Their going to the concert tomorrow." And then there is the "your" and "you're" issue. "Your not going with me this time." "That's you're shirt." I won't even get into their horrid disregard for punctuation or capitalization. These people are nearing 50 years old and they're writing like pre-schoolers! Aaaugh!

        As for the SF story I'm working on, I do have a plot outlined. Serious-minded people partially restore an old starship which ends up developing a personality of her own, and is somewhat unreliable, unless there is a crisis; then she operates flawlessly. The crew is sent on a search and rescue mission, and learn that their good friend of years ago had been used as a pattern for a hybernating race of killer androids to revive themselves. Then the crew has to find a way to destroy the androids before the androids destroy Earth and every other planet, turning the inhabitants into "fuel" for their machinery. I wouldn't say that the crew meets with repeated pratfalls, but as they battle the androids they do find themselves in situations so absurd that you can't help but laugh at them. It's a sort of "Star Trek" meets "Get Smart" meets "Operation Petticoat."
        It starts with a somber battle that shows the main characters' feelings and devotion to each other, and the humor aspect creeps in as the story moves along. It's got serious action, some starship battles, weapons shootouts with the androids, and some really bad jokes from one of the characters in dire situations. (As his friends point out to him, they know just how much danger they're in by how bad his jokes get.) It's still a work in progress, and my wife who's read hundreds of SF (and fantasy) books is helping me along with it. So hopefully one day I'll see it on bookstore shelves to augment my retirement pension.
        And because I do need to step away from it now and again, to clear my head, I'm also working on a story set in the 1880s (Historical Fiction, I think it falls into) involving a lady lighthouse keeper and her beau who is the first mate aboard a clipper ship. This one is a bit more serious, but there is still some humor in it (the comic relief sort).

        Dino.

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 1, 2010
          Hello Dino

          Glad you�re surviving. Life sometimes takes over.

          Re: space travel. Who says you need to take your body with you?? I don�t think you need a police box. A TARDIS is a different kettle of fish though. As I think I�ve commented, I have a non-operational one. Shame I can�t get fissionable material through customs.

          Re: Eggs. My lot just cook until its done. Do you ever get the thought that your compatriots might be food snobs with such description as to how they want their food cooked??

          Re: Books. Unless your wife is an immortal, then I doubt if she�s read everything. I kinda impressed Bob Greenberger by reading his Essential Superman Encyclopaedia last month but I�ve read such lengthy tomes in the past. By the by, those of you into DC material, it�s a useful reference and I only found four spelling mistakes.

          Re: Your SF story. I think that�s been done a couple times in the Star Trek shows. If you know the plots, make sure you don�t follow the same solutions.
          Don�t think book writing makes big bucks. For time spent, assuming you can find a buyer, you�ll be lucky to break even.

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: LambuLambu@...
          Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 17:14:19 +0000
          Subject: [probe_control] Re: Comets, Eggs, and Vincent (Oh my!)

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
            Geoff,

            Personally, I'd like to keep my body with me if I ever made any space
            travel otherwise I think I'd end up falling into the Cyberman category (the only
            thing creepier than my Aunt Muriel, or a Dalek speaking German). And a
            TARDIS was what I was alluding to with my Police Box reference; I kind of like
            that shape. Mine is also inoperable. That is, really broken; all I've got
            left of it (so far) is the Fresnel lens from the top, and its demat circuit
            which is missing a few pieces. So I'm stuck.

            Some of my compatriots are definitely food snobs. All you need do is walk
            into a Starbuck's Coffee shop to realize that as some 60+ bimbo-wannabe
            walks in dressed like someone in her 20s to order a half caramel macchiato,
            half chocolate mocha, with one "squirt" of cinnamon and half soy milk, with
            half skim... (And yes, I've seen that just the other day. From the back she
            made you think, "Oooh?" But once she turned around it made you go
            "Eeeewwww!" Or to quote Monty Python: "Run away! Run away!"

            My wife isn't quite an Immortal (how I wish) but she has been an avid
            reader since age five. Her father was rather unstable in the head and truly
            believed that a TV was nothing more than a government device used for spying on
            people (like a two-way mirror, specifically used on him) because he was
            trying to get military disability retroactive to his WW II service and they
            didn't want to "pay up". (He was a cook in the Navy "Sea Bees" and never
            suffered any injuries in the line of duty. He was also convinced that people
            were sneaking into his house while he slept to poison his food, so he put
            padlocks on every cabinet and the fridge, and rarely slept so he could keep
            watch.) He was also a bit of a religious freak (no offence intended to any
            religious members of the group) and aside from the spying device believed
            that Satan created the TV for the government's use. He never allowed one in
            the house so my wife learned to read very early on and to this day she can
            read through several books a week, and that's just in the evenings after she
            settles in for the night after supper. On a weekend when she's not working
            she can blast through a book that's an inch thick in a day! Her preference
            is mysteries, but she's read SF, fantasy, documentaries, modern and
            historical romance... You name it, she's probably read it. In high school, with
            the exception of the heavy scientific books she'd read every book in the
            school library before the end of 11th Grade. (Not sure what that equates to in
            UK schools, but it's the 3rd of four years over here.)

            As for my book, I'm definitely steering away from the "Trek" plots. I know
            things like this have been done before which is why I've been working on it
            so much. When I first started it there was no "Next Generation" (et al,
            which debuted a few months after I started) or "Babylon 5" or a new
            "Galactica", and as luck would have it some of those had ideas along the lines I had
            dreamed up. So, more alterations get made. And you're right; finding a
            buyer isn't easy these days unless you happen to be related to someone in the
            publishing business. (What I need is an Alistair Deacon on my side!) Also,
            I hadn't planned on getting rich on it. (I wouldn't complain if it
            happened, but a Tolkien, Stephen King, or J. K. Rowling I will never be.) A
            little more than breaking even, maybe, but I don't think I'll do more than that.
            For all I know it may never go anywhere, but it allows me a little fun.

            Dino.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2010
              Hello Dino

              Re: out of body space travel. You�ve obviously not read any of Frederick Pohl�s Heechee books.
              I was joshing you about the TARDIS. Despite its look, most generations just call it and even the real thing, a TARDIS these days over here. It was probably the first most surreal-looking time machine.

              As I don�t drink any coffee or tea variants, I�ve never been in such places but I always have a memory of Sally from �Third Rock From The Sun� throwing the froth away from such concoctions.

              You mean there isn�t people watching me through the TV set?? Your wife�s father obviously read �1984�. Does that mean John Logie Baird was Satan??
              As I understand, our British Museum is supposed to keep copies of all books printed and its in excess of a billion hence your wife is unlikely to have read them all.

              Re: your story. I just picked the commonest place where I�d seen the plot. You�ll probably find all major SF TV shows have touched on it from time to time. This is why it pays to keep attention as to what is out there. Just because you started before seeing such shows doesn�t give you any priority over the idea other than making sure it has an original and different solution or outcome.
              I think I�ve commented before that it would probably help your cause more with building up your name by having it seen in short stories in various mags first to show that you have a following to any publisher you approach. To have so much hope on a single first novel is actually the bigger risk.
              Most neo-writers see selling a book as a means to a little money if not some wealth although if you really want to do that, don�t write Science Fiction. You�d make better money from romance.

              To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
                Geoff,

                You're right; Frederick Pohl isn't an author I've read, at least not yet.
                I'll have to look into some of his works.

                As far as the TARDIS goes, I applaud the BBC winning the legal battle
                against the Metropolitan Police to claim the rights to the image of the Police
                Box, especially since the Beeb kept the image going for more than 40 years
                after the Met demolished 99% of all Police Boxes in Britain. (Several
                friends of ours also refer to those blue Port-a-loos as TARDISes.)

                John Logie Baird? I'll check with the wife on this one. Her best friend
                from high school is a Baird (at least until she got married) and she might
                know something if there is a relation. (And this is a mild torment for me...
                the two girls in high school I wanted most to marry just had to be best
                friends, and this I didn't learn until after I started dating my wife. It was
                one of those introduction moments of "It's you?!"... "It's you!") And
                actually, according to my wife, as far back as she could remember, her father
                read nothing but the Bible. (The DaVinci Code is nothing in conspiracy
                theories compared to what he felt was hidden in books.)

                Speaking of books, I'll ask my wife if she has any idea how many she's read
                so far. It may not be a billion, but it may come close. If she stops to
                sit for more than a few seconds, she's got a book in her hands. I seriously
                hope she never gets into the British Museum; if she finds those books I'll
                never see her again. (Darned shame about that Library of Alexandria, though,
                but I had to do SOMETHING to get her out of there!)

                Dino.

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
                  Hello Dino

                  Fred Pohl is one of the few grand masters of SF still alive. I�m sure others here will give you some recommendations. Apart from the HeeChee books, a standalone of his called �Man Plus� will probably give you the most nightmares.

                  Re: TARDIS. It did kinda help that that the police no longer use police boxes like that. The inside of the traditional box was used to take a break in.

                  Baird was a Brit so I doubt if they�re even distant cousins cos it�s a common names. Your wife�s father would have gotten on well with Margaret White, Carrie�s mother if you or she knows the books.

                  You have to have a special library card to get into the British Museum library but you�re not allowed to get them off site.

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2010
                    Geoff,

                    I don't do well with nightmares, so... I may pass on Fred Pohl (like I
                    stay away from Stephen King!).

                    I managed to download quite large plans of the original Police Boxes a
                    while back. The inside looked rather functional, and comfortable: desk,
                    phone, stool. It's a shame they did away with them.

                    Baird might be a fairly common name, but there could still be some
                    relation along the lines. I've been playing about on Ancestry.com and just
                    learned that I've got lineage stemming from Stokes, Kerwin, O'Sullivan,
                    McLaughlin, and McNamara, who all came from Ireland (paternal grandmother's
                    side), along with a Corcoran from Canada. I haven't even scratched the Italian
                    part (paternal grandfather) and found out that my great-grandfather's mother
                    was French (surname Antoinette, I forget the provence she came from). And
                    then there's my mother's side: German, Swiss, and Slovak. So who knows? My
                    wife worked with a woman whose maiden name was Stallone; three guesses who
                    her cousin is? And when I was teaching Electronics for the Coast Guard, one
                    of my students was a Campbell: first cousin of Doug Campbell (Howie of
                    "The Fall Guy" TV series, and the resemblance was amazing!). Relation can pop
                    up anywhere.

                    If I didn't know better, I would say that someone based Carrie's
                    mother on my father-in-law. Things were that scary. There were times when I was
                    dating my wife that I went to visit her at her house and was greeted at the
                    door by her father, who, as I entered the house, gave me a piece of paper
                    on which was written "Say nothing. Write everything down. I've just
                    discovered this house is being wiretapped." I had to stay for at least 20 minutes,
                    or the people "watching" his house would be convinced that I'd come for
                    some evidence that he was holding and was then going to deliver it to some
                    "authority" which would be able to shut down "their" operation. (We never knew
                    who "they" were. It was almost like living "The Prisoner"!) My wife wanted
                    to go out of the house with me, but wasn't allowed because he knew she
                    would be followed, and through the places she went with me "they" would figure
                    out what he was up to, and try to kill him in some fashion. Even the local
                    police had been bought and were in on it, as were the doctors at the
                    hospital who would certify that his death was from "natural causes" after they
                    poisoned him (by sneaking into his house at night). He didn't even come to
                    our wedding because he knew the priest was also "on the payroll". (I don't
                    think my wife was ever so happy as on our wedding day and she got to move
                    out!)

                    Getting into the British Museum Library? No problem! Psychic paper:
                    I'm looking at it now. It says I'm an inspector for the Ministry of Museum
                    Libraries, to be granted full access to all areas and documents. (Huge wink!)
                    Besides, if we were able to get in, my wife wouldn't care if the books
                    couldn't leave. She'd find a suitable chair and plant herself in it, and not
                    get up until either she finished the book, or nature called.

                    Dino.