Re: [probe_control] Re: Apollo carrotts

    Message 1 of 40 , Oct 1, 2010
      Hey, Geoff,

      Turns out that we didn't lose power during that storm we had, but it
      lasted for days and we did lose the Internet service and cable TV.
      Thankfully there was nothing we wanted to watch, but not being able to get at
      e-mails was a pain. It just came back about an hour ago.

      Catching a ride on a comet tail? Brilliant! Propellant, possible source of
      water (via melting ice) as well as other usable gases: seriously,
      brilliant. I wonder if anyone in the NASA programs is looking into that.

      No hair on these palms! Even when I did (read as "forced to") go to those
      pancake breakfasts I stayed away from those unusual things. (Those killer
      pancakes from that "Star Trek" episode, like the one that attached itself to
      Spock's back, looked more appetizing than my neighbor's.) I try to avoid
      her like the plague, but I stay friendly with her poor husband. (Talk about
      an exact match for the Bucket Woman and poor Richard!) This man is a saint.
      If you were both trapped in some freezing place he would willingly give you
      his coat, shirt, and anything else to help keep you warm without caring
      about himself. She's just the opposite; it's all about her. (I winder if
      she's related to Hillary Ramrod Clinton?) Definitely would not be lunching on
      that one!

      I saw Honor Blackman on a Graham Norton episode not all that long ago and
      she is still a handsome woman. (Almost made me wonder if she has some
      picture hidden in her attic.) Old age? She's doing it exceedingly well. I'd love
      to meet her one day, even if only long enough to shake hands so for that
      brief moment she would know that I exist.

      Hulu has nothing on Diana Rigg's "Diana" series, and neither does Guba (for
      what that's worth). Wikipedia only mentions it. Even the IMDB doesn't have
      much. This link (_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069574/_
      (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069574/) ) only says 6 episodes, but I think that only covers
      what aired in 1973 because this link
      (_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069574/episodes_ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069574/episodes) ) lists all 15,
      including the 1974 episodes, with a link to each episode. From what I can
      remember, it was a "Mary Tyler Moore"esque show. I'll have to check out
      "Theatre of Blood". Netflix time!

      And I do read a good number of books, though they're mostly
      documentary-type: nautical history. I've read many of David R. MacGregor's books on
      sailing ships. However, I've also read Mary Stewart's "Merlin" series (The
      Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, The Last Enchantment). Also over the last few
      years I've found Terry Pratchett unnaturally addictive. He's a genius. His way
      of describing a character - his appearance, thoughts, mannerisms, etc.,
      can make me laugh so hard I have to stop reading long enough to compose
      myself before I can continue. I've read a few other fiction and non-fiction
      books, so I try to put some of the different styles into practice as I'm
      transcribing my thoughts to paper - sort of like taking what you've learned in
      various school classes and putting it into practice. Still, for a newbie like
      me, it's not all that easy. I'm probably going to be spending some time on
      the SFCrowsnest site now that I'm on terminal leave and waiting for my
      official retirement date: more learning from there. As for grammar, I'm rather
      good at it (at least according to my word processor's grammar checker),
      that is, until the characters' dialogue comes into play. People very rarely
      speak grammatically correct. That's when my grammar checker goes into
      overload!

      Texting: Hopefully this will pass quickly, like the CB Radio did. And
      mobiles for stirring rods? Hadn't thought of that one. Small bricks for throwing
      at people, yes, but not stirring. Sure, they're great for emergencies, and
      the next time some anal-pore nearly runs me off of the road because he's
      too busy yacking on his mobile, he just may need to phone in an emergency
      after I get my hands on him.

      Telepathic and mind reading? We still haven't figured out this one yet. We
      haven't been able to determine if I'm just picking up on the thoughts
      around me, or it I'm broadcasting mine to others. All we know is that I and
      whoever is in close proximity to me think the same obscure things at the same
      time. Even out of the blue if I comment on something, someone else says
      "Hey, I was just thinking about that!" So, am I picking up on them, or is it
      vice versa? We just don't know.

      As for no one being truly human... I consider that a compliment.

      And I may start doing just what you suggest: typing my replies in a word
      processor and using that "save" button quite often. It would prevent quite a
      few headaches.

      Cheers,
      Dino.

      In a message dated 9/29/2010 3:07:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gfwillmetts@... writes:

      Hello Dino

      Re: Saturn 5 and other rockets. The entire purpose of propellant is to
      push, not to try to catch anything in the process. In space, you need far less
      for course correction. It would be easier to hook a ride on a comet tail.
      Plenty of propellant that way.

      Re: missing pancakes. The fact that you have hair growing on the palms of
      your hands has nothing to do with it. Never pays to get too friendly with
      neighbours. Just in case you’re going to lunch on them sometime.

      Even in old age, Honor Blackman is still a nice lady and still acting.
      Never saw that sit-com with Diana Rigg and it isn’t out on DVD. Reading
      McNee’s autobiography, he pointed out that she had great comic timing. Did
      you ever see her in ‘The Assassination Bureau’ or ‘Theatre Of Blood??

      Re: writing. At this stage in your life, you must develop the habit of
      reading a lot. You’d hate to see how many books I read monthly.

      Txting isn’t likely to last, well not outside of mobile phones. Modern
      slang rarely lasts more than a couple years without some sort of
      re-enforcement.

      I take it you know mobile phones make good stirring rods.

      You never stop learning with writing. It’s a long learning curve. Grammar
      is writing’s main tool. I’ve even done a page on the subject on
      SFCrowsnest of all the common problems I’ve seen over the years. It’s not rocket
      science and easy to do. Honest.

      Re: Confectionary. We don’t have Tootsie Pops over here. Those things look
      more like gob-stoppers only we don’t have them stuck on a stick.

      There is a significant difference between telepathy and mind reading.
      Telepathy is communication so they can ‘hear’ and respond the same way. Mind
      reading is just picking up their conscious thoughts.
      Be lucky. I’m clinically empathic.
      I tend to go by the General Semantics interpretation of labels. They’re
      imprecise and very little fits the exact definition. Ergo, no one is truly
      human.

      You should do what I do. Copy and paste to a word processor file and save
      regularly,

    • David Marks
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 9, 2010
        Yes, in "The Six Million Dollar Man - Wine, Women, and War" follow-up
        movie Oscar Goldman began as a stiff character exerting his power
        on Austin.  Rudy Wells explains that Goldman was really a good man,
        and Steve should give him a chance.  It was later that Goldman learns
        to play it more straight with Steve rather than being duplicitous after
        one particular altercation.