Apollo carrotts

    Message 1 of 40 , Sep 22, 2010
      From:
      probe_control@yahoogroups.com on behalf of lambulambu (LambuLambu@...)

      Sent:
      22 September 2010 16:28:27

      To:
      probe_control@yahoogroups.com

      You're subscribed to this mailing list. Unsubscribe

      Hey, Geoff,

      Interesting about your hot weather a week after an Apollo launch. Over here it seemed like we had almost a solid week of rain after such a launch. I always attributed it to the liquid H2 and O2 used as the fuel - mixing together with a propulsion byproduct of, well, lots of water - hence the rain. I'm sure there was more to it, but no one was able to give a rational explanation for the odd post launch weather.

      Years ago, in the early '90s when I was aboard the Cutter Harriet lane, we spend almost three solid years sailing between Haiti and Guantanamo Bay (Gitmo) dealing with the migration crisis. I almost had no winters for three years, with the average Gitmo temp being 98F with Caribbean humidity. By the time I transferred off of the Lane I was able to stand on her flight deck, in Gitmo, in July at high noon when we held Quarters, and I could wear my "Onslo" jacket and not sweat. (Onslo being from "Keeping Up Appearances" and his heavy olive green foul weather jacket.) After the Lane I worked at what was COMDAC (COMmand, Display And Control) Support Facility. This was like a cryogenic chamber and I nearly froze to death - the average building temp was 55-60F. The labs were even colder. So between the Lane and COMDAC I had my metabolism destroyed. Now my comfort zone is between 70 and 80F: below that I feel a chill; above that I sweat various bits of my anatomy off.

      I'm sorry that Hulu link didn't work over there. If I remember the dialog correctly, Nelson makes a note to Reisner that the professor's (who was working with the plankton) wife's name was Karen. Reisner wanted to know what that had to do with anything. Nelson asked if his wife's name was Karen then why was he shouting "Anna!"? Nelson said he wasn't calling for his wife, but trying to say what was wrong with the plankton, only he couldn't finish speaking before the plankton killed him. Nelson believed the word the professor was trying to say was "Anna-roobick" (again no idea how to spell it: I'd love to see the script for that episode). So far I haven't been able to find that word - using every spelling I can think of - in any dictionary or on the internet. So, I'm guessing the word was a "techno-babble" term used for the story to describe what was making the plankton grow so huge when it got warm.

      "Knight Rider 2000" was the movie with the red car KITT (after he spend some time in the light blue 1957 Chevy). "Knight Rider 2010" was the Mad Max world, and the car, with a murdered woman's digitally recorded "spirit" loaded into its computer, finally appeared in the last 30 minutes or so of the movie. Interesting concept, but overall that one was a vast disappointment. And yes, I believe you're right in saying that red-car KITT's abilities were brought into Mustang KITT, including the aquatic capabilities.

      And I checked the link to the imdb on Angela Lansbury. I wasn't doubting you that she and Bruce (of M:I fame) were siblings. I just thought it humorous that when you wrote it, you'd gotten the relationship backwards:
      (Quote from your post: On Sep 22, 2010, at 6:23:14 AM, "Geoff Willmetts" <gfwillmetts@...> wrote: Angela Lansbury is Bruce Lansbury�s brother. He produced Mission: Impossible.)
      Sorry for the small print, but that's how it copied over. You no doubt meant to say that she was Bruce's sister, or that he was her brother. (Just trying to make a counter-joke to yours about me and medication).

      Keep scaring the locals! (And yes; I'm still alive, but I think starting to just barely hang on. You are formidable. You really make me think quite hard on things.)

    • David Marks
      Message 40 of 40 , Nov 9, 2010
        Yes, in "The Six Million Dollar Man - Wine, Women, and War" follow-up
        movie Oscar Goldman began as a stiff character exerting his power
        on Austin.  Rudy Wells explains that Goldman was really a good man,
        and Steve should give him a chance.  It was later that Goldman learns
        to play it more straight with Steve rather than being duplicitous after
        one particular altercation.