Re: [probe_control] Re: Probe Control blueprints or floorplan?

    Message 1 of 47 , Apr 30, 2010
      Geoff and all,

      Considering the amount of empty space between the Probe Control Units,
      the level of background noise in the individual Units may have been enough
      to mask out anything happening in the other Units' areas. That, coupled
      with the "local" chatter between techs and probe agents they're working with,
      may have provided enough ambient noise to effectively drown out any "Code
      10" conversations from the neighboring Probe Control Units.

      Consider this as justification to the above. After all, once you've
      declared a Code 10 and cleared out "your" Probe Control Unit, your ambient
      noise has been lowered because the consoles and other unessential devices
      have been shut down. (Remember how all consoles went completely dark when the
      techs left after calling a Code 10?) So what is left is the controller
      (Cameron, for Probe Control Unit 1), and the probe agent on the screen. This
      means that you can turn down the levels of the sound coming from the
      speakers, possibly even listening to the agent through a speaker on your specific
      console rather than the "main" speakers used when Control is in full ops
      (wherever those speakers are hidden: overhead?).

      So, emptying your Control and lowering your volume would allow you to
      maintain your case's Code 10, and with full ops continuing within the other
      Control Units they'd never be able to eavesdrop on what your case was
      doing (at least not easily).

      Just speculation, but I think worthy of strong possibilities.

      End Run,
      Dino

      In a message dated 4/30/2010 7:06:02 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      gfwillmetts@... writes:

      Hello everyone

      There is one basic flaw between the pilot episode showing other units in
      the background and the main series which tends to suggest that even with the
      lights down there was only a single unit there. When absolute secrecy is
      required, how would that stop people in the other units listening in unless
      everyone there as well also left for a tea break?? No one would get any
      work done at that rate.

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES
      HARDER
      Between 42-48 million hits a month!!!

      WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1
      most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site
      on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: LambuLambu@...
      Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 23:43:56 +0000
      Subject: [probe_control] Re: Probe Control blueprints or floorplan?

      Greetings, All,

      I've been playing around with this idea since I was a kid watching the
      first-run episodes. I worked out floor plans to the best of my memories, and
      then corrected many errors once I cound the Probe Control site and this
      group.

      You see, I've been tooling around for years with a science fiction story.
      It's sort of a mix between "Get Smart", "Operation Petticoat", and "Star
      Trek". It's about a crew who finds their own starship in storage "awaiting
      disposition", where's it's been for over 100 years. And as the crew is forced
      to rebuild their ship on their own (because one of the admiral hates
      them), they scrounge for supplies anywhere they can. (And no, the ship does not
      end up being painted pink.)

      Their XO is an alien who happens to be an old Earth history buff, and
      stumbles across a storehouse full of equipment that "was once used by a covert
      organization in the mid to late 20th century." He manages to "acquire"
      enough consoles, equipment racks, an a main view screen to rebuild their ship's
      bridge.

      A later miscommunication with the painting crew that comes in to finish
      things up leaves the bridge deck, ceiling, and walls (except for the wall
      with the lift doors) all black... (Can you see where this is going now?)

      Anyway, you are about to reap the rewards of my doodling (and scrutinizing
      and redoodling, and rescrutinizing...). I've removed all the additions
      that ended up on the starship's bridge and left behind the basic Probe Control
      layout.

      I've created a new Album in the Photos section called "Probe Control Floor
      Plans". In it you will find "ProbeControl01.jpg" which is what I just
      threw together to get the feel of the Pilot "Probe" version, based on what
      units we could see in the appropriate scenes. (I know I got some of them pretty
      close, and others are sheer guess work.)

      The other image is "ProbeControl01a.jpg" which is the "Search" series
      version (and the basics of my starship's bridge). I've gone with a "happy?"
      medium on that one concerning the "extra" equipment. In the early "Search"
      episodes there were only the six main consoles. Shortly after they added the
      four non-descript "corner" consoles (two by the lift doors, and two on the
      other side near Keach's console, when the camera shot at that angle). By the
      end of the "nice" 15 episodes they had added more of the B220 consoles and
      some cabinets that basically closed off any open space between the B205
      tape drives and the non-descript corner consoles by the lift doors.

      Also, those non-descript consoles had changed positions: at first one
      faced the lift wall with its partner angled away from the wall; then both
      consoles were shifted to still be angled with relation to each other, but both
      facing "backwards" away from the view screen. So in my guesstimate of the
      floor plan of the first 15 series episodes Probe Control I opted for the
      early addition of the corner consoles. (Incidentally, since that lift wasn't
      nearly as huge inside as the greyish walled thing it was in, I imagined that
      was where the rest rooms were and created a layout for them. After all,
      those Probe Control techs must have had to "go" sometime, especially Cameron
      the way he kept pouring those cups of coffee into himself sometimes!)

      One thing you'll notice between the Pilot and Series versions is the
      difference in scale. For some reason when I went to convert the Pilot image to
      jpeg it wouldn't take. I'll keep working on that and if I get it figured out
      I'll repost that one to give a better sense of the size of the operation.

      And then, just for the heck of it, I put together a best guess floor plan
      of the <yick> last 8 episodes "please pass the sun glasses because this is
      way too bright" Probe Control, using the images from "Moment of Madness" as
      a guide; that episode seemed to show the most angles and aspects of the
      room. This image is labeled as "ProbeControl02.jpg". (And who knows? If I
      ever get that SF story really off of the ground I may decide to use that
      bright Probe Control layout for a space station control center where the
      starship's crew has one of their only true friends, running block and pulling for
      them.)

      So there is it. Someone asked, and I just happened to have it there and
      ready to share. Ready now for the praise and pounding. (Oh, if only someone
      could have been there with camera and measuring devices in hand. Wait! Once
      I get my TARDIS working again, I'll do just that: get measurements and
      layouts of both for everyone!

      End Run,
      Dino

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, John <actingman6@...> wrote:

      > Of course, even then, you would have to decide if it was the higher
      budget
      > Control of the pilot, where you saw people and consoles in all
      directions in
      > the distance (causing some structural logic problems in the best
      tradition
      > of say the outside vs inside Jupiter 2 and the layout of the berthed
      flying
      > sub and control room in the color episodes Seaview) and the lower budget
      > first 15 episodes where you had the plain caty-cornered consoles on each
      end
      > of the tape/ control machines row and a flashing light unit set up in the
      > backgrounds.
      >
      > On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 3:52 PM, robertjsawyer <robertjsawyer@...>wrote:
      >

      > > Anybody every drawn blueprints or a floorplan of the original PROBE
      Control
      > > (the dimly lit one; not the mess after they turned on the lights).
      Would

      Message 47 of 47 , May 15, 2010
        VTTBOS seems off-line this morning.

        I suspect that computer software makes cleaning up old blueprints a lot easier this days.

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: LambuLambu@...
        Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 22:02:53 -0400

        Thanks for the sites. I've been to Mike's VTTBOS before, but I never knew
        about the others. (And along with "Lost In Space" "Voyage" was one of my
        most favorite shows as a kid. I think maybe it's because my father always sat
        and watched them with me, so it was a nice time for me.)

        (If I was the evil murdering kind I'd kill to own that studio model!). As
        it is I'm quite happy with my old Aurora Seaview model (second release, done
        in the grey plastic). I'm partial to the 8-window movie/1st season version
        anyway. I'm sure that LUCKY SLOB who owns the studio model went through
        great pains to clean up those plans. I've seen some original plans of other
        models that were just as old and they were almost illegible. He deserves a
        medal.

        Size wise, I would equate Seaview to the Red October (or any "Typhoon"
        class sub). It's the only way you'd be able to fit everything Irwin Allan
        wanted to fit inside it.

        Dino

        In a message dated 5/14/2010 3:46:32 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
        swhite228@... writes:

        You guys should take a look over at HobbyTalk where there are a few threads
        on the Seaview.

        The best one is the Seaview plans thread where a guy who owns the studio
        blueprints of the sub has gone to great lengths to clean them up and post
        the originals as well as copies that are correct to the model(s) built.
        -------------- Original message from STEPHEN RUSELL
        <_stephenrusell@..._ (mailto:stephenrusell@...) >: --------------

        Dino:

        If U want Seaview specs, see these sites:

        IANN.net

        Mikes VTTBOS site.

        Have Fun