Re: Justman on SEARCH

    Message 1 of 210 , Mar 28, 2010
      --- In probe_control, Jim Alexander wrote:
      > I never thought I'd have the opportunity to hearĀ
      > words come from Justman's own lips regarding SEARCH...

      Jim: I could only put so much information into the Files upload. Justman's mention of "Search" came on the heels of his comments regarding the pilot movie "Assignment Munich," which later became the series "Assignment Vienna."

      Imdb on "Assignment Munich":
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068228/

      Imdb on "Assignment Vienna":
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068042/

      Justman worked on the "Munich" pilot as executive producer, but because the MGM series kept being postponed, he decided to work with Leslie Stevens at Warner Brothers on "Search."

      At first he didn't seem to remember the name of the series and he didn't recall Hugh O'Brian, but this is understandable as all that was some 30 years earlier and Search never reaired after the NBC run save for the Search pilot, of which Justman had no connection. (You can tell from the YouTube video that Justman and the interviewer occasionally refer to printed material.)

      His observation that "it would've been better if Leslie Stevens had been able to give more time to it" is fair and diplomatic.

      From viewing the other interview segments, I notice that Justman tends to be upbeat with very few negative comments about other individuals. I wish he could have explained why "Search" sometimes puzzled him and seemed empty to him. This contrasts with John Strong's rather enthusiastic recollections about the show.

      Notice also that TV Legends refers to Justman's section as a 9 part interview, yet only 8 segments are posted. (Not quite four hours of online video.) Segment 9 is apparently missing?

      Part One of the Robert Justman interviews:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKu6MOlA4NI
      Message 210 of 210 , Oct 7, 2016
        It's interesting. They'd removed the keyboards from the consoles. (Those scenes happened so fast in "Swarm" that I hadn't noticed it before.) They've also removed the silver "discs" that were on the sides of the consoles, presumable where one of the side consoles like those on Cameron's, Gloria's and Keach's would be mounted. (Though in 'Search' and even "Probe", those 'mounting discs' were on all of the consoles.)

        In the 'back to back' image you can see those discs aren't there, and in the 'side by side' image, the consoles wouldn't have been able to butt up against each other if those discs were in place.

        And of course, since this was an Irwin Allen production, everything is surrounded by recycled 'Time Tunnel' et al Sage panels and other such props, and that "black abyss" behind it all leaving the viewer to wonder just how large that complex really is. (Like some of his alien sets in 'Lost In Space': remove the boundaries, expand the imagination - though by that time I think it was a matter of budget cuts; set walls would cost money, and the greebles needed to decorate those walls even more. So, without walls in the spaceships, there are no walls in the imagination as to how large the ship is, and the cost of it all is less. Allen really was a genius.)

        But since pieces of the Probe Control consoles are found scattered in parts of the 'Quark' set, and sets of other productions later in the 1970s, I wonder if any of the consoles have survived up to today relatively intact. (The same goes for the big view screen.)

        Thanks for sharing those grabs with us, John!