Re: The Virginian on the Western Channel

  • nicholasf
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 25 2:32 PM
      As I am on two Virginian groups, I know James Drury, whom I've met here in Ireland and in Houston, where he lives, would have been happy to continue playing The Virginian. It was the demographics that ended the show along with other westerns and rural based comedies like The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres, the people the sponsors were trying to sell their products to weren't the folk who were watching these shows, popular though they were, so they got the chop!

      The fans of The V didn't like the fact that most of the episodes took place away from Medicine Bow and Shiloh, there wasn't the interaction between the cast as before, no family atmosphere, as before, different costumes, different music (by Ennio Morricone, hence the spagetti western feel) The alternating lead idea worked ok for The Name of The Game and Search, but not for a long established show with a format the viewers were used to.

      Nic.

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 25 2:37 PM
        Interesting. Thanks for sharing your opinions and impressions, Nic and David.

        Jim Alexander