Re: [probe_control] The Virginian on the Western Channel

  • Carol Jackson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
      MAN-don't we WISH!!! Then a whole bunch of new people could get turned on to it!! There are a WHOLE lot more SEARCH fans than I ever thought there were! in the comments for the SEARCH clips that are on YouTube seems like a lot of people there liked it too. What I find REAL interesting is that people who DID see it, REALLY liked it, and the memory has stuck with them. I'm just as passionate about SEARCH ALL THESE YEARS later as I was then. Seems like the rest of you are too!
      Carol

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
        The other alternative is to email Warner and ask them to release the series from their DVD on Demand service. The least they could do is start with the pilot. They've released the pilot of Man From Atlantis for goodness sake!

        John

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hello John

          I had The Man From Atlantis on a commercial video tape years ago so its not that surprising that its come out on DVD. Mind you, if they were serious about doing a release they'd have blocked it in with all the episodes.

          By the by, anyone have any idea why the next seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man & Bion Woman haven't come out yet??

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: videoking@...
          Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:31:55 +0000
          Subject: [probe_control] Re: The Virginian on the Western Channel

          The other alternative is to email Warner and ask them to release the series from their DVD on Demand service. The least they could do is start with the pilot. They've released the pilot of Man From Atlantis for goodness sake!

          John

          --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Carol Jackson <c-jackson@...> wrote:

          > MAN-don't we WISH!!! Then a whole bunch of new people could get turned on to it!! There are a WHOLE lot more SEARCH fans than I ever thought there were! in the comments for the SEARCH clips that are on YouTube seems like a lot of people there liked it too. What I find REAL interesting is that people who DID see it, REALLY liked it, and the memory has stuck with them. I'm just as passionate about SEARCH ALL THESE YEARS later as I was then. Seems like the rest of you are too!
          > Carol
          > ---- Hutch2006@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Hey, if that classic 1962-71 western drama series "The Virginian/The Men
          > > From Shiloh" had being aired on the Encore Western Channel this year,
          > > maybe the short lived one season adventure show "Search" can be aired
          > > next on the Encore Mystery Channel or something..
          > >
          > > Rick

        • David Marks
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
            As I remember "Virginian" had a nine year run, but
            for reasons not clear to me James Drury left "Virginian".
            NBC wanted to continue it with the remaining
            series regulars which was retitled as "Men From
            Shiloh" for the 1970-1971 TV season.

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
              As I remember "Virginian" had a nine year run, but
              for reasons not clear to me James Drury left "Virginian".
              NBC wanted to continue it with the remaining
              series regulars which was retitled as "Men From
              Shiloh" for the 1970-1971 TV season.

              Drury was part of Men from Shiloh. According to wikipedia. MFS was supposed to
              be "jauntier" than the Virginian, but the fans didn't like it.

              BTW: how many people know Percy Faith wrote the theme for The Virginian?
            • dmanmetz@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                From my undersatnding the Men from Shiloh was kinda like a sequel to the Virginan. It was suppose take place a couple of years later in the 2oth century. The expectations where high, but fans where let down by the new story format and the development of the beloved characters. Take a look at the write ups for the Men from Shiloh. I've seen three episodes and I liked them. The one episode we want to see is episode 11 titled "Follow the Leader". That is a Grover episode, I mean Trampas episode and the guest star on that episode is Nick Bianco, I mean Tony Franciosa. (LOL). Well, enjoy.

                Chris

                http://www.thevirginian.net/shiloh.html

                http://www.tvparty.com/recvirginian2.html

                http://www.leemajors.co.uk/t/mss.html ( This is Lee Major's page with the two articles combined, it also has photos from the Men from Shiloh)

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                  The show today was a great show with Hugh O'Brien as the guest star.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                    As I am on two Virginian groups, I know James Drury, whom I've met here in Ireland and in Houston, where he lives, would have been happy to continue playing The Virginian. It was the demographics that ended the show along with other westerns and rural based comedies like The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres, the people the sponsors were trying to sell their products to weren't the folk who were watching these shows, popular though they were, so they got the chop!

                    The fans of The V didn't like the fact that most of the episodes took place away from Medicine Bow and Shiloh, there wasn't the interaction between the cast as before, no family atmosphere, as before, different costumes, different music (by Ennio Morricone, hence the spagetti western feel) The alternating lead idea worked ok for The Name of The Game and Search, but not for a long established show with a format the viewers were used to.

                    Nic.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                      Interesting. Thanks for sharing your opinions and impressions, Nic and David.

                      Jim Alexander