The Virginian on the Western Channel

  • dmanmetz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
      Happy New Year to all!!! Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. Well here is a late Christmas present for the group. Encore Western Channel started showing the Virginian as Jan 1, 2010. I missed the Virginian mini marthon on Jan 1st, but starting today, the Virginian will be airing Monday thru Friday at 4:30PM. So, for those of us who forgot how Doug McClure (AKA CR Grover, AKA Trampras) rose to stardom in the 1960's, here our chance to revist past. I am curious to know if the Western Channel picked up the last season (1970-1971) of the Virginian when it was retitled "The Men from Shiloh" As a lot of us know, the last season adopted the rotating whee formatl like Search with it's stars James Drury, Doug McClure, Stewart Granger, and future Six Million Dollar Man, Lee Majors. Also, the Virginian, Volume 1 of the first season will be released in March 2010. Well, enjoy and Happy New Year Again.

      Chris

    • JIM ALEXANDER
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
        Thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

        And Happy New Year to the group, as well--

        Jim Alexander
        ==============================

      • Hutch2006@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
          Hey, if that classic 1962-71 western drama series "The Virginian/The Men
          From Shiloh" had being aired on the Encore Western Channel this year,
          maybe the short lived one season adventure show "Search" can be aired
          next on the Encore Mystery Channel or something..

          Rick
        • Carol Jackson
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
            MAN-don't we WISH!!! Then a whole bunch of new people could get turned on to it!! There are a WHOLE lot more SEARCH fans than I ever thought there were! in the comments for the SEARCH clips that are on YouTube seems like a lot of people there liked it too. What I find REAL interesting is that people who DID see it, REALLY liked it, and the memory has stuck with them. I'm just as passionate about SEARCH ALL THESE YEARS later as I was then. Seems like the rest of you are too!
            Carol

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
              The other alternative is to email Warner and ask them to release the series from their DVD on Demand service. The least they could do is start with the pilot. They've released the pilot of Man From Atlantis for goodness sake!

              John

              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                Hello John

                I had The Man From Atlantis on a commercial video tape years ago so its not that surprising that its come out on DVD. Mind you, if they were serious about doing a release they'd have blocked it in with all the episodes.

                By the by, anyone have any idea why the next seasons of The Six Million Dollar Man & Bion Woman haven't come out yet??

                To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                From: videoking@...
                Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:31:55 +0000
                Subject: [probe_control] Re: The Virginian on the Western Channel

                The other alternative is to email Warner and ask them to release the series from their DVD on Demand service. The least they could do is start with the pilot. They've released the pilot of Man From Atlantis for goodness sake!

                John

                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Carol Jackson <c-jackson@...> wrote:

                > MAN-don't we WISH!!! Then a whole bunch of new people could get turned on to it!! There are a WHOLE lot more SEARCH fans than I ever thought there were! in the comments for the SEARCH clips that are on YouTube seems like a lot of people there liked it too. What I find REAL interesting is that people who DID see it, REALLY liked it, and the memory has stuck with them. I'm just as passionate about SEARCH ALL THESE YEARS later as I was then. Seems like the rest of you are too!
                > Carol
                > ---- Hutch2006@... wrote:
                > >
                > > Hey, if that classic 1962-71 western drama series "The Virginian/The Men
                > > From Shiloh" had being aired on the Encore Western Channel this year,
                > > maybe the short lived one season adventure show "Search" can be aired
                > > next on the Encore Mystery Channel or something..
                > >
                > > Rick

              • David Marks
                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                  As I remember "Virginian" had a nine year run, but
                  for reasons not clear to me James Drury left "Virginian".
                  NBC wanted to continue it with the remaining
                  series regulars which was retitled as "Men From
                  Shiloh" for the 1970-1971 TV season.

[...]

                • David Backlin
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                    As I remember "Virginian" had a nine year run, but
                    for reasons not clear to me James Drury left "Virginian".
                    NBC wanted to continue it with the remaining
                    series regulars which was retitled as "Men From
                    Shiloh" for the 1970-1971 TV season.

                    Drury was part of Men from Shiloh. According to wikipedia. MFS was supposed to
                    be "jauntier" than the Virginian, but the fans didn't like it.

                    BTW: how many people know Percy Faith wrote the theme for The Virginian?
                  • dmanmetz@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                      From my undersatnding the Men from Shiloh was kinda like a sequel to the Virginan. It was suppose take place a couple of years later in the 2oth century. The expectations where high, but fans where let down by the new story format and the development of the beloved characters. Take a look at the write ups for the Men from Shiloh. I've seen three episodes and I liked them. The one episode we want to see is episode 11 titled "Follow the Leader". That is a Grover episode, I mean Trampas episode and the guest star on that episode is Nick Bianco, I mean Tony Franciosa. (LOL). Well, enjoy.

                      Chris

                      http://www.thevirginian.net/shiloh.html

                      http://www.tvparty.com/recvirginian2.html

                      http://www.leemajors.co.uk/t/mss.html ( This is Lee Major's page with the two articles combined, it also has photos from the Men from Shiloh)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2010
                        The show today was a great show with Hugh O'Brien as the guest star.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                          As I am on two Virginian groups, I know James Drury, whom I've met here in Ireland and in Houston, where he lives, would have been happy to continue playing The Virginian. It was the demographics that ended the show along with other westerns and rural based comedies like The Beverly Hillbillies and Green Acres, the people the sponsors were trying to sell their products to weren't the folk who were watching these shows, popular though they were, so they got the chop!

                          The fans of The V didn't like the fact that most of the episodes took place away from Medicine Bow and Shiloh, there wasn't the interaction between the cast as before, no family atmosphere, as before, different costumes, different music (by Ennio Morricone, hence the spagetti western feel) The alternating lead idea worked ok for The Name of The Game and Search, but not for a long established show with a format the viewers were used to.

                          Nic.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Feb 25, 2010
                            Interesting. Thanks for sharing your opinions and impressions, Nic and David.

                            Jim Alexander