Search shooting location - Lake Toluca

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 24, 2009
      There are two new pics in Photos, in the 'ShootingLocations' folder.

      I saw one of the James Garner interview videos on YouTube where he discusses 'The Rockford Files.' He mentioned the first episode, "The Kirkoff Case," which featured James Woods and the fact that their scenes were filmed at Lake Toluca in Los Angeles.

      Garner discusses Rockford and Lake Toluca on YouTube (approx. 28 minutes):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxb7SgKQCBU

      I remembered the Rockford episode and recalled that the same area was used in the 'Search' episode "The Clayton Lewis Document."

      This was the sort of backyard patio area with a table and chairs next to a lake. Scenes were also filmed inside the house for both shows.

      Doubtful that a fan could obtain access to see the house or lake area or take pictures unless you knew the people who lived there.

      It is more possible that a Google or other online 'street view' could be found of the front of the house in question, that is, if the appearance of the house hasn't changed since 1973-74. If I find something along these lines, I'll post something.

      Anyway, comparison pics are in the Photos section. If the top link above does not work, go to 'Photos' and open the 'ShootingLocations' folder.
    • JIM ALEXANDER

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 24, 2009
          I did make a small mistake in my original post. James Garner's reference to Toluca Lake and James Woods was in Part 5 of the YouTube series, not Part 4.

          By this point, the interview had gone beyond Rockford Files and into Garner's projects afterward. He worked with James Woods in "Promise," and it was here that Garner referred back to Rockford since Woods appeared in the Rockford episode, "Kirkoff Case."

          Garner Part 5 refers to Toluca Lake near 10:45 point:
          www.youtube.com/watch?v=7r6DCmtEDpQ

          And the area is indeed named "Toluca Lake," and not "Lake Toluca." :-)
        • DBoysen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 25, 2009
            That makes more sense. Toluca Lake is basically part of Burbank. Just outside the gates of W.B. studio. But now I'm interested in where, since I don't know of any actual "lakes" in Toluca Lake. I'll have to watch "Clayton Lewis Docs" again.

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 25, 2009
              The first season of "The Rockford Files" is also out on DVD, and "The Kirkoff Case" was the first regular episode (after the initial pilot movie).

              I added a map and a couple of pics I found online of a few signs saying "Toluca Lake." Hopefully this might help folks who live nearby who may wish to find the area.

              In "The Clayton Lewis Document," we did not get to see much of the exterior of the house. You get to see what may be a back porch area behind Julie Adams, and you see stonework and an arch as Bianco leaves the house, and you see a bad guy behind the window as Bianco drives away.

              Then again, you don't get to see any of these particular areas in the Rockford episode, just the lake area with table and chairs, and that wood paneled room with the same fireplace.

              I'll add those Search vidcaps to the Photos 'ShootingLocations' folder.

              I tried doing a Google "street view" of the house around the lake area. Some of the houses are obscured by walls, garages, and trees, so you can't see much. And some of the houses appear to have been remodeled and/or modernized.

              -----------------------

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, DBoysen@... wrote:

              > That makes more sense. Toluca Lake is basically part of Burbank. Just outside the gates of W.B. studio. But now I'm interested in where, since I don't know of any actual "lakes" in Toluca Lake. I'll have to watch "Clayton Lewis Docs" again.

              (snip)

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 25, 2009
                The Internet Movie Database lists 44 titles with location shooting at Toluca Lake. However, Search is not among the titles.

                If the link below is not reproduced correctly, you should be able to highlight the full link, and then paste it into your browser window. Or go to the main site at imdb dot com and put Toluca Lake into their search engine.

                http://www.imdb.com/List?endings=on&&locations=Toluca%20Lake,%20Los%20Angeles,%20California,%20USA&&heading=18;with+locations+including;Toluca%20Lake,%20Los%20Angeles,%20California,%20USA

                More from wikipedia:

                en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toluca_Lake,_Los_Angeles,_California

                And Google maps (I added a couple more maps to that Photos 'ShootingLocations' folder):

                http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Toluca+Lake,+Los+Angeles,+CA&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=Toluca+Lake,+Los+Angeles,+CA&gl=us&ei=yiO9SpvsIdOA8Qbr1_iuAQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1