fun with license plates

  • Carol Jackson
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2009
      The Comet easily passed it's required state inspection at age 40, and I had all the required documentation to get it's current redesigned SEARCH license plates, including the card that said the new SEARCH plates were at the office I requested they be sent to. I approached the license office with fear and trepidation. The people lined up outside, waiting for the license office to open, and I swapped horror stories. They opened 5 minutes late, a sign of what was to come. When finally my turn came the lady confirmed I had all my required paper work.I foolishly thought I might get out with out any trauma. She entered my information into her computer, and went to get the Comet's plates. She returned with the Somerset's plates. "LOCKWD" right?" she said. "No!" I hollered. "That's not due till December! That's the Somerset!" She checked the card. "Yeah 1969 Mercury Comet, SEARCH" she said. "But this is the only one back there for Richard Nemeth Trust" (they are titled to my Dad) I said "I'm going to be really upset if the Comet doesn't get that license plate. It's had it since 1979, and it means something to me." She went and looked again and found it. I paid for them, and told her "Now don't loose those LOCKWD plates! I'll be back for them in December!!"Any body want to bet what's going to happen in December?? And that is why I haven't tryed for a SEARCH themed license plate for my 3rd car!!
      Carol Jackson
    • nicholasf
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 22, 2009
        Hi,Carol,
        That Comet is the one based on the Ford Maverick, isn't it? Not the Ford Falcon based one. I have a model kit of the Maverick. Is the Somerset an English Austin from the early 50's? That's the only car named a Somerset that I know.

        Nic.