[probe_control] PRO-- BE!?!?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8 12:23 PM
      >... What the "BE" stood for in the acronym "PROBE" has got to >be the show's biggest mystery. One would think that Leslie >Stevens had some idea in mind, but whatever it was has been >lost to antiquity. My first idea, as a youngster, was that the "BE" >stood for "By Electronics". But that doesn't quite have the >gravity one would expect. "Bio-Electronics" comes closer to the >essential idea; but it doesn't quite ring true, either. Any other >ideas out there, guys?
      While I LOVE the 'ring' that BIO-ELECTRONICS has (and I WISH that utterly-cool phrase/concept was what it REALLY meant!), I agree when you say that it doesn't seem to really fit the words that come before it.

      BY ELECTONICS works well, and makes sense to me. Revealing that aspect might also might be the reason that LOCKWOOD is not able to share the last part of what PROBE stood for, with Ullie, in the Pilot. In other words, he'd have had to explain early-on (since it is apparent that Lockwood eventually reveals the capabilities of the Scanner to her in the final moments of the TV Movie) what the 'by electronics' meant, even earlier. Streeter is shown the 'inside' of PROBE CONTROL, but Ullie was never as fortunate.

      We may never know what the 'BE' meant, but 'by electronics' is just as plausible as anything...

      I LIKE it! :)

      Jim Alexander
      jima@...
    • actingman-jc@worldnet.att.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8 10:13 PM
        Except as we know, or will know depending on who's reading this, they
        didn't always keep it a secret. In The Murrow Disappearance, Lockwood
        tells the bad guy who's holding the gun all about the scanner and the
        witnesses who are watching if he shoots Lockwood. Of course this is a
        definite need to know basis. There's an interesting point to that, but I
        don't want to say it and spoil it for Adam when he returns stateside and
        gets to see the episode for the first time in 27 years. In Honeymoon To
        Kill, the woman they were searching for is in Control at the end of the
        episode, as are two policeman who come for Grover (so he gets taken away
        and Cameron escorts the lady to dinner...in other words...a humorous
        ending.) They of course don't want to go around advertising how it all
        works (would hamper the investigation), but at the same time I don't see it
        as top secret. The government has to know some of what they are
        doing...Probe is using the public airwaves...meaning licensing of
        frequencies, etc. It is propritary info, but we know that doesn't
        last. In Let Us Prey, the bad guy knew all about the electronics
        involved. In Goddess of Destruction, the Oriental underworld knew to take
        Grover's scanner and hit him in the jaw so he couldn't signal while he was
        meeting with the head of the organization. I think it is just as possible
        that Lockwood's statement that "B-E" is a secret was nothing more then a
        joke on his part. Part of an acronym is a secret?

        John

        My permanent address is actingman@...