Network 'options' for additional series episodes

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
      --- In probe_control, John <actingman6@...> wrote:
      > My educated guess is that McClure was supposed to get an eighth
      > episode, but the network or the studio pulled the plug on it

      Hi John: You may have something there.

      If "Search" had been a more popular series, might NBC have ordered one or more 'optional' episodes?

      "Search" only had 23 episodes in it's single season. I looked over the imdb episode guide for "Cannon," which was the higher-rated competition, and William Conrad routinely filmed 24 episodes a year, including the 1972-73 season. I'm sure there are other examples from 1972.

      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066636/episodes

      It is possible that at least one more "Search" episode could have been filmed, but it was nixed when NBC decided to cancel.

      In some of the TOS "Star Trek" books, there were mentions that at least two more third season episodes were in the early planning stages in case NBC were to exercise it's option for more episodes.

      In other words, there could have been two other new episodes produced after "Turnabout Intruder." It was reported that Shatner was slated
      to direct the last of the two episodes. But NBC cancelled the series, and that was that.
    • dmanmetz@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
        Ahhh, yes that would most definitely eliminate the young girl in the Dune Buggy. (LOL)

        Chris

        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 26, 2009
          Just caught up on this discussion of Grayson Hall and the "missing" Search episode.

          It's entirely possible there were episodes that didn't air. But I think there are two other possibilities.

          One is that she was in an episode that did air, in a smaller part that was left on the cutting room floor.

          The other -- and this does happen from time to time -- is that her part was shot, found inadequate for whatever reason, and then re-cast and re-shot. (That would fit with the comment about it possibly being an "unpleasant experience.") This most famously happened to an actress who was originally supposed to fill the "Mrs. Peel" role in The Avengers. They shot the season's first episode with her, decided she was not right for the part, and went back and re-shot the episode with Diana Rigg. (And the rest, as they say, is history.)

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
            Hmmmm.  That 'recast and reshot' theory is very interesting, tjveil.  And I think it's a sound suggestion.

            You'd think the producers/casting director would be familiar enough with Hall's work to've known if she fit the part well enough.  But, I guess stranger things have happened.

            Thanks--

            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
              --- In probe_control, tjveil wrote:
              > ...One is that she was in an episode that did air, in a smaller part
              > that was left on the cutting room floor.
              >
              > The other -- and this does happen from time to time -- is that her
              > part was shot, found inadequate for whatever reason, and then re-cast
              > and re-shot...

              Hi: The other possibility which was brought up by Actingman was that it could have been an additional 'optional' episode that may have been in the planning stages, but was nixed when NBC cancelled the series.

              Network 'options' for additional series episodes
              http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/probe_control/message/5585

              We haven't run into any filmclips of Grayson Hall so far. But from what we have seen, Lincoln Enterprises apparently also did not finish cutting all the film they had. And Lincoln had no filmclips from the last eight episodes because it was the Bob Justman connection that got them the filmclips from the first 15.

              Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned could be that she was set to do the role, but something got overruled and she was replaced before she could even get before a camera.

              There was the "Star Trek" example where John Drew Barrymore was originally cast as Lazarus in "The Alternative Factor," but failed to show up for shooting and had to be replaced at the last minute by Robert Brown, causing the episode to go two days over schedule.

              http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708451/trivia

              And there was "Back to the Future," which was shot once with Eric Stolz as Marty McFly, then re-shot with Michael J. Fox in the role.

              http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Back+to+the+Future%22+%22Eric+Stolz%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g-sx2

              I'm not saying this happened with Ms. Hall, it's just another example of what can and does happen sometimes.

              Wish we had more clues on this. All we have is that it was to have been a Doug McClure episode. Burgess Meredith was mentioned, so would she have had scenes in Probe Control? It would have been nice to have had the name of another guest star, or the director's name, or something like that, but we don't.

              So we are reduced to speculation.

              The only other possibility of nailing this down would be if papers relating to "Search" were being stored at UCLA or some other university, maybe a memo could be found on this. But only certain categories of writers and researchers are allowed access to materials of this nature. And it could like looking for a needle in a haystack.

              Or someone could ask John Strong in a future interview if he remembers anything about Grayson Hall? (Hint, hint.)
              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
                And...think of the later Grover episodes...what role could she have played?