Search YouTube Videos (+World Sec. Bldg.)

    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
      Finally got to see the Search Mego figure YouTube videos. Very nice job on those. :-)

      I also found antimatterguy's vid regarding the 'then and now' views of the hero scanner prop and World Securities buildings. This vid not only contains views of both buildings as they appear in the pilot and series, but also views of the buildings from apparent home video taken in 2008. Thanks also go to Carol Jackson for alerting me to this one.

      Search Scanner & World Securities Bldg. 1972 and 2008 views
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRrYaeE3bE&feature=related

      If my previous posts about the building locations helped, let me know. However if someone lives near either area, the buildings are probably easy to pick out as they are so distinctive. :-) Thanks again to antimatterguy for going through the trouble to make this video and for posting it.

      I wonder how he managed the vids of the two buildings? I hope it wasn't a special trip he made. Maybe he happens to work between San Fran and L.A., or got a friend in either location to send him some video?
    • Kenneth Caslis
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi there,

        Well I live in the southern California area so the second WS building
        is only a 45 min. trip for me. And I just took a quick flight to San
        Fan to tape the first building.

        Thank you for the compliments on my videos, I hope to post more this
        fall. Including better video of both buildings and some other
        locations used in other episodes.

        -Ken

        On Aug 3, 2009, at 10:33 PM, dghprobe3 wrote:

        > Finally got to see the Search Mego figure YouTube videos. Very nice
        > job on those. :-)
        >
        > I also found antimatterguy's vid regarding the 'then and now' views
        > of the hero scanner prop and World Securities buildings. This vid
        > not only contains views of both buildings as they appear in the
        > pilot and series, but also views of the buildings from apparent home
        > video taken in 2008. Thanks also go to Carol Jackson for alerting me
        > to this one.
        >
        > Search Scanner & World Securities Bldg. 1972 and 2008 views
        > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRrYaeE3bE&feature=related
        >
        > If my previous posts about the building locations helped, let me
        > know. However if someone lives near either area, the buildings are
        > probably easy to pick out as they are so distinctive. :-) Thanks
        > again to antimatterguy for going through the trouble to make this
        > video and for posting it.
        >
        > I wonder how he managed the vids of the two buildings? I hope it
        > wasn't a special trip he made. Maybe he happens to work between San
        > Fran and L.A., or got a friend in either location to send him some
        > video?

      • JIM ALEXANDER
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
          Many, MANY thanks, Ken! Great job--and it is truly appreciated by those of us who'll likely never see'em in person.

          Jim Alexander

          =====================

          Hi there,

          Well I live in the southern California area so the second WS building
          is only a 45 min. trip for me. And I just took a quick flight to San
          Fan to tape the first building.

          Thank you for the compliments on my videos, I hope to post more this
          fall. Including better video of both buildings and some other
          locations used in other episodes.

          -Ken

          On Aug 3, 2009, at 10:33 PM, dghprobe3 wrote:

          > Finally got to see the Search Mego figure YouTube videos. Very nice
          > job on those. :-)
          >
          > I also found antimatterguy's vid regarding the 'then and now' views
          > of the hero scanner prop and World Securities buildings. This vid
          > not only contains views of both buildings as they appear in the
          > pilot and series, but also views of the buildings from apparent home
          > video taken in 2008. Thanks also go to Carol Jackson for alerting me
          > to this one.
          >
          > Search Scanner & World Securities Bldg. 1972 and 2008 views
          > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuRrYaeE3bE&feature=related
          >
          > If my previous posts about the building locations helped, let me
          > know. However if someone lives near either area, the buildings are
          > probably easy to pick out as they are so distinctive. :-) Thanks
          > again to antimatterguy for going through the trouble to make this
          > video and for posting it.
          >
          > I wonder how he managed the vids of the two buildings? I hope it
          > wasn't a special trip he made. Maybe he happens to work between San
          > Fran and L.A., or got a friend in either location to send him some
          > video?

        • parrottm76262
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
            --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, JIM ALEXANDER <probecontrol@...> wrote:

            > Many, MANY thanks, Ken! Great job--and it is truly appreciated by those of us who'll likely never see'em in person.
            >
            > Jim Alexander
            >
            > =====================
            What Jim said! This is so great to see. I know some people think it takes the magic away when you see where shows were actually filmed, but I don't. For me, it makes it more real. Kuddo's!

            Martin from Texas
          • JIM ALEXANDER
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
              Martin wrote:
              >... This is so great to see. I know some people think it takes the magic away when you see where shows were actually filmed, but I don't. For me, it makes it more real.
              ===========
              I agree with Martin! I LOVE seeing footage from today of 'yesterday's' filming locations. I love seeing how they've changed (or haven't). :)

              One of the greatest thrills in my life was standing in the exact spots where Kirk fought the Gorn in the Classic Star Trek episode 'Arena .' I know. I'm a geek. ;) I enjoyed seeing how the Desilu crew kept most of their cameras within a few feet of each other and just pointed them in different directions when filming different scenes. For instance, the bombed 'fort' in the beginning of the episode is just a stone's throw away from the spot where Kirk first encounters the Gorn (and in the story, they're supposed to be literal light years away from each other).

              And while in California, I toured Warner Bros. Studios, and it bothers me to this day that I took a tour tram right alongside the soundstage (clearly marked, which I didn't realize at the time) where SEARCH was filmed! Auuuggghh !

              So, anyone who wants to bring on more 'location' videos has MY enthusiastic support! :)

            • mitchsand@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                Hello,

                I recently read Grayson Hall of Dark Shadows fame biography. In it she filmed an episode of Search with Doug McClure and Burgess Meredith and it was never aired. Any idea if it ran in syndication and is available/title?
                Thanks,
                Mitch

              • JIM ALEXANDER
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Mitch wrote:
                  >... I recently read Grayson Hall of Dark Shadows fame biography. In it she filmed an episode of Search with Doug McClure and Burgess Meredith and it was never aired. Any idea if it ran in syndication and is available/title?
                  ==========
                  Hey, Mitch---

                  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but...

                  This has been discussed on the list before, and as I recall, the only place it's mentioned is in Hall's bio. We've never been able to establish any other circumstance of such a thing existing. No scripts, no film clips, no other actors mentioning they were involved with it. Nothing. It seems odd that Hall would mention it if it never occurred, but... we've never been able to prove it.

                  I am curious about the exact phraseology of the mention in the book. Do you think you could share it with us, please?

                • dmanmetz@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                    ???? Could she have been the girl in the Orange Dunbuggy with Grover the beginning?of episode 8: In Search of Midas? For those who may not remember, there was slide posted a few years back with Grover and young lady in a Dunbuggy from, which?I think was suppose to be the scene?where Probe Control notifies Grover to come for an emergency mission. That scene was edited out of that episode.

                    Chris

                  • Hutch2006@webtv.net
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                      Perhaps that must be it

                      Rick
                    • JIM ALEXANDER
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                        Thanks for giving it a shot, Chris. But...

                        You said 'young lady'? :) Hall was 60 in 1972. ;)

                        http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0355621/

                        Jim Alexander

                        ======================

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                          Her newsletter mentioned she was booked to do it. That is what they are
                          going on. The authors contacted me years ago asking about it...but it was
                          before we had all the episodes...so I wasn't sure.

                          They had mentioned something about her referencing it in a bitter way later
                          on...but not why.

                          My educated guess is that McClure was supposed to get an eighth episode, but
                          the network or the studio pulled the plug on it...so she never got to do it,
                          although she was booked for it...which is why she was bitter.

                          But it is a guess until we find someone who can tell us definitely.

                        • mitchsand@bellsouth.net
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                            From Grayson's Bio:

                            "One obscure job involved a short-lived program entitled Search co-starring Burgess Meredith and Doug McClure. While some episodes have aired, her work has not surfaced. She brushed off discussions of it, hence one believes it to have been an unpleasant experience"

                            Mitch
                            -------------- Original message from JIM ALEXANDER <probecontrol@...>: --------------

                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                              Very, very interesting! The phraseology sure makes it sound like she actually did the work, eh?

                              Thanks for supplying the paragraph, Mitch!

                              How's the REST of the biography?

                              I was always a big DARK SHADOWS fan (in fact, I just downloaded 32 DARK SHADOWS radio episodes the other night).

                            • mitchsand@bellsouth.net
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                                The book was very good and ws actually hard to put down. Grayson did most of her work in the NY theatre. Her career never really took off because she would not move to California. She had hoped after Iguana more things would come her way, but did not. Grayson was promised the Mrs. Robinson part in The Graduate that eventually went to Anne bancroft and that hurt. Also she was to play the part that Joan Crawford played in "I Saw What You Did", however she was paid off for that one. Family life was her top priority.

                                She enjoyed DS and was friends with quite a few of her castmates until her death. When she looked back on the show when it ran in syndication she thought she was horrible. Never attended any of the DS conventions because they were in california. The first one on the east coast was in late 1984 and she was going to go to that one but she was too sick. 6 months after she was diagnosed with lung cancer she passed away in early 1985.

                                It really is a great read....

                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                                  --- In probe_control, John <actingman6@...> wrote:
                                  > My educated guess is that McClure was supposed to get an eighth
                                  > episode, but the network or the studio pulled the plug on it

                                  Hi John: You may have something there.

                                  If "Search" had been a more popular series, might NBC have ordered one or more 'optional' episodes?

                                  "Search" only had 23 episodes in it's single season. I looked over the imdb episode guide for "Cannon," which was the higher-rated competition, and William Conrad routinely filmed 24 episodes a year, including the 1972-73 season. I'm sure there are other examples from 1972.

                                  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066636/episodes

                                  It is possible that at least one more "Search" episode could have been filmed, but it was nixed when NBC decided to cancel.

                                  In some of the TOS "Star Trek" books, there were mentions that at least two more third season episodes were in the early planning stages in case NBC were to exercise it's option for more episodes.

                                  In other words, there could have been two other new episodes produced after "Turnabout Intruder." It was reported that Shatner was slated
                                  to direct the last of the two episodes. But NBC cancelled the series, and that was that.
                                • dmanmetz@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 4, 2009
                                    Ahhh, yes that would most definitely eliminate the young girl in the Dune Buggy. (LOL)

                                    Chris

                                    I recently read Grayson Hall of Dark Shadows fame biography. In it she filmed an episode of Search with Doug McClure and Burgess Meredith and it was never aired. Any idea if it ran in syndication and is available/title?
                                    Thanks,
                                    Mitch

                                  • tjveil
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Sep 26, 2009
                                      Just caught up on this discussion of Grayson Hall and the "missing" Search episode.

                                      It's entirely possible there were episodes that didn't air. But I think there are two other possibilities.

                                      One is that she was in an episode that did air, in a smaller part that was left on the cutting room floor.

                                      The other -- and this does happen from time to time -- is that her part was shot, found inadequate for whatever reason, and then re-cast and re-shot. (That would fit with the comment about it possibly being an "unpleasant experience.") This most famously happened to an actress who was originally supposed to fill the "Mrs. Peel" role in The Avengers. They shot the season's first episode with her, decided she was not right for the part, and went back and re-shot the episode with Diana Rigg. (And the rest, as they say, is history.)

                                      ________________________________

                                      ------------ -- Original message from JIM ALEXANDER <probecontrol@ wowway.com>: ------------ --

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
                                        Hmmmm.  That 'recast and reshot' theory is very interesting, tjveil.  And I think it's a sound suggestion.

                                        You'd think the producers/casting director would be familiar enough with Hall's work to've known if she fit the part well enough.  But, I guess stranger things have happened.

                                        Thanks--

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
                                          --- In probe_control, tjveil wrote:
                                          > ...One is that she was in an episode that did air, in a smaller part
                                          > that was left on the cutting room floor.
                                          >
                                          > The other -- and this does happen from time to time -- is that her
                                          > part was shot, found inadequate for whatever reason, and then re-cast
                                          > and re-shot...

                                          Hi: The other possibility which was brought up by Actingman was that it could have been an additional 'optional' episode that may have been in the planning stages, but was nixed when NBC cancelled the series.

                                          Network 'options' for additional series episodes
                                          http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/probe_control/message/5585

                                          We haven't run into any filmclips of Grayson Hall so far. But from what we have seen, Lincoln Enterprises apparently also did not finish cutting all the film they had. And Lincoln had no filmclips from the last eight episodes because it was the Bob Justman connection that got them the filmclips from the first 15.

                                          Another possibility that hasn't been mentioned could be that she was set to do the role, but something got overruled and she was replaced before she could even get before a camera.

                                          There was the "Star Trek" example where John Drew Barrymore was originally cast as Lazarus in "The Alternative Factor," but failed to show up for shooting and had to be replaced at the last minute by Robert Brown, causing the episode to go two days over schedule.

                                          http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708451/trivia

                                          And there was "Back to the Future," which was shot once with Eric Stolz as Marty McFly, then re-shot with Michael J. Fox in the role.

                                          http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22Back+to+the+Future%22+%22Eric+Stolz%22&btnG=Search&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g-sx2

                                          I'm not saying this happened with Ms. Hall, it's just another example of what can and does happen sometimes.

                                          Wish we had more clues on this. All we have is that it was to have been a Doug McClure episode. Burgess Meredith was mentioned, so would she have had scenes in Probe Control? It would have been nice to have had the name of another guest star, or the director's name, or something like that, but we don't.

                                          So we are reduced to speculation.

                                          The only other possibility of nailing this down would be if papers relating to "Search" were being stored at UCLA or some other university, maybe a memo could be found on this. But only certain categories of writers and researchers are allowed access to materials of this nature. And it could like looking for a needle in a haystack.

                                          Or someone could ask John Strong in a future interview if he remembers anything about Grayson Hall? (Hint, hint.)
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 27, 2009
                                            And...think of the later Grover episodes...what role could she have played?