RE: [probe_control] OT: Fake American accents

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2009
      Hello Harlan

      Our actors are just better at copying than your lot. :-)

      Looking at how our lot are picking up parts on American shows attests to this.

      One of the actors in 'The Mentalist' has a Walsh accent normally and comes from over here. Simon Baker himself is Australian.

      We're still puzzled by how you lot can't use a knife and fork at the same time.

      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      From: skipster61@...
      Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:21:16 -0400
      Subject: [probe_control] OT: Fake American accents

      <Along those lines, for those who weren't aware, the actress who played
      Jaime Summers is actually British (she used her real "accent" in one episode

      where she posed as an exchange student), and she's appearing in the next
      "Doctor Who" special airing this Sunday on BBC America: "Doctor Who: Planet
      of
      the Dead.>"

      I noticed the trend for Brits and Aussies using American accents. They are
      seamlessly "American" in the way they do it. I saw the Doctor Who Easter
      Special "Planet of the Dead" and when I saw Michelle Ryan (Bionic Woman's
      new "Jaime Sommers") using a fluent English accent, I was amazed. I guess
      her previous boss, David Eick, who chose a Brit (Jamie Bamber) to play Lee
      Adama on the new "Battlestar: Galactica", didn't think we would notice. We
      didn't.

      Off the Off Topic and back to SEARCH: Does anyone else remember the 1966
      flick "Assault On A Queen"? Tony Franciosa showed up in this caper about
      mercenaries who want to rob the HMS Queen Mary on the high seas using a
      U-boat. If I remember correctly, Tony's character pretended to be British,
      but didn't do so well. His character had to learn a few lines with a
      British accent, and he flubbed. For Lieutenant, He was supposed to say
      "Leh-tenant" but instead says "Loo-tenant". The officer says to him "Are
      you Canadian?" Trying to stay in character, he answers "Yes sir, how ever
      did you know?"

      Ah those wacky Americas trying to sound British!!!!