[probe_control] Nice to See Some Activity

  • CDR R. A. Benson, USNR
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2000
      Whew! You guys have been busy on these boards since I've been in
      transit to the South Pacific. I'm glad to see that, since I would hate
      to see this board die from neglect.

      For John and Bryan: I tried to send you my new screen name since
      reporting to Commander, Seventh Fleet (since I am forced to use a new
      server; my AOL account will be in limbo until I return stateside); but
      our Outlook is down on board the ship to-night.

      I knew of Albert Popwell's death. There is a film/television magazine
      called PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO
    • CDR R. A. Benson, USNR
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 8, 2000
        ________

        For John and Bryan: I tried to send you my new screen name since
        reporting to Commander, Seventh Fleet (since I am forced to use a new
        server; my AOL account will be in limbo until I return stateside); but
        our Outlook is down on board the ship to-night. I'll get that off to
        you as soon as I can. Suffice it to say, I arrived safely, and am back
        in the sea-going saddle, again.
        ________

        I knew of Albert Popwell's death. There is a film/television magazine
        called PSYCHOTRONIC VIDEO--its content runs from adequate to cheesy;
        but it has one redeeming asset: it runs an obituary column that covers
        the names of actors/actresses/performers who wouldn't show up in the
        newspaper columns. I learned of Mr. Popwell's death that way.

        I always thought he was a man of considerable acting talent, when you
        consider the gulf between his erudite, scholarly "Griffin" and the
        street hoods he played in the first three "Dirty Harry" films. He
        played roles at either end of the spectrum with authority.
        ________

        I was hoping that the copies of the SEARCH episodes which Bryan was
        making for me would arrive at my home in time to screen at least some
        of them before I left. Unfortunately, they did not. I expect they
        will be waiting for me when I return home on leave sometime around late
        April, early May; and I can comment on them, again.
        ________

        What the "BE" stood for in the acronym "PROBE" has got to be the show's
        biggest mystery. One would think that Leslie Stevens had some idea in
        mind, but whatever it was has been lost to antiquity. My first idea,
        as a youngster, was that the "BE" stood for "By Electronics". But that
        doesn't quite have the gravity one would expect. "Bio-Electronics"
        comes closer to the essential idea; but it doesn't quite ring true,
        either. Any other ideas out there, guys?

        Fair winds and following seas,

        Adam Benson