It Takes a Thief

    Message 1 of 30 , Mar 6 6:51 PM
      --- In probe_control, Geoff Willmetts wrote:
      > Considering Robert Wagner's popularity, I'm surprised 'It Takes A
      > Thief' hasn't come out on DVD yet.

      A few years ago, NBC-Universal put out a list of shows they were going to release over time, and "It Takes A Thief" was on the list. The series currently appears on RTN - Retro TV Network out of Little Rock, Arkansas.

      RTN can be found on various of the new "substations" that can be found on the new digital TV dial. If you have a digital TV or one of those digital converter boxes, you can pick up RTN if it is available in your area.
      Message 2 of 30 , Mar 7 11:04 AM
        Hello Jim

        Maybe Al Mundy is back in prison. :-)

        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
        From: probecontrol@...
        Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:22:15 -0600
        Subject: Re: [probe_control] Plus Leslie Stevens' earlier work

        > Considering Robert Wagner's popularity, I'm surprised 'It Takes A Thief'
        > hasn't come out on DVD yet.

        ===============

        I completely agree, Geoff. I don't get why it hasn't, either.

        That's why I'm making my own set. ;)

        Jim

        Message 3 of 30 , Mar 7 11:14 AM
          Hello Don

          @

          That was The X-Files episode I was referring to. Didn�t we all agree that Spotnitz had to be a fan cos of the number of references.

          @

          The Six Million Dollar Man borrowed Colossus to test Austin�s bionics.

          @

          In those days, computers were seen as a magical gadget which persisted right into the time of Knight Rider. I mean, who would believe computers would be used at home.

          @

          Let�s re-phrase the question: how many films and TV series prior to Search had such control rooms but not belong to NASA??

          @

          It might have escaped your notice but I live on the other side of the pond.

          @

          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
          From: dghprobe3@...
          Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 02:51:47 +0000
          Subject: [probe_control] It Takes a Thief

          Message 4 of 30 , Mar 7 1:13 PM
            > Maybe Al Mundy is back in prison. :-)
            ===============
            Perish the thought! Al Mundy is WAY too cool to spend his days rotting in
            prison! ;)

            Jim
            Message 5 of 30 , Mar 7 7:15 PM
              --- In probe_control, Geoff Willmetts wrote:
              > Let's re-phrase the question: how many films and TV series prior to
              > Search had such control rooms but not belong to NASA??

              Because of the prior associations of the top production people, probably the biggest influences on "Search" were "Outer Limits" (Leslie Stevens and others) and "Star Trek" (Bob Justman and others). Then there is "The Man From UNCLE" (Anthony Spinner and others).

              Then look backward from each of those and see that the monster movies of the 1950's heavily influenced "Outer Limits," while movies like "Forbidden Planet" influenced "Star Trek," and UNCLE was spawned by the James Bond movies. Many mission control settings and/or agent electronically tied to a home base in each.

              What we see is that many productions borrow lightly or heavily from other sources. Shakespeare once said there are only a handful of plots, and that writers simply mix things up and change them around a bit. Then again, if Westinghouse knew nothing about trains, he couldn't have invented the air brake.

              Also recall that "Star Trek" producer Roddenberry wanted the starship technology to be presented casually. As in whenever Captain Kirk would pick up a phaser, he would not start a technical explanation of what the device was, he would simply use it. The same way Joe Friday would use a revolver to fire back at an attacker, he simply used the revolver. I have a feeling Leslie Stevens wanted the surveillance technology to be presented on "Search" just as casually. We make the assumption that someone somewhere has this technology and makes use of it.

              Where "Search" had a slight edge was that it was also partly an outgrowth of Leslie Stevens' research into his book, "EST - A Steersman's Handbook," which looked into upcoming revolutionary technological issues and how they may affect mankind, similar to Alvin Toffler's "Future Shock."

              But in 1972, Stevens may have been just a little too ahead of his time, making "Search" difficult for most viewers to identify with. "Nobody can do all that," was probably the reaction of most people as they reached for the dial. But there were many who had the same reaction to the first transmissions of "Star Trek" in 1966. :-)

              In retrospect, the "Search" producers probably should have gone ahead with the notion that this was about private investigators of the future, but it wasn't because some episodes state 1972 as the approximate setting.
            • STEPHEN RUSELL
              Message 6 of 30 , Mar 7 7:38 PM
                I agree.
                Sample Control Rooms are:
                TIC TOC Time Tunnel
                Outer Limits
                Twilight Zone?
                Lost in Space Alpha Control
                WarGames
                Colussus: had White House mega control bunker, 1970 movie.
                Search should have been placed in mid 1990s. era?

                Message 7 of 30 , Mar 8 11:33 AM
                  Once a thief...

                  :-)

                  geoff

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                  From: probecontrol@...
                  Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 15:13:09 -0600

                  > Maybe Al Mundy is back in prison. :-)
                  ===============
                  Perish the thought! Al Mundy is WAY too cool to spend his days rotting in
                  prison! ;)

                  Jim

                • Lydia Hruschak
                  Message 8 of 30 , Mar 8 6:18 PM
                    No, I think he's pushing reverse mortgages. ;)

                    I just started watching It Takes A Thief again recently on Hulu. I had forgotten how good the opening credits were, particularly in the second and third seasons. That Dave Grusin theme, along with the graphics, were pretty sophisticated for the time. Heck, they stand up very well today.

                    I recall reading that there was an effort a couple of years ago to do an It Takes A Thief feature film with Will Smith in the title role. I've nothing against Will Smith, but I just don't see him as Al Mundy. And since we've heard nothing since, I have to assume the film is in development limbo.

                    ________________________________
                    From: probecontrol@...
                    Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 20:22:15 -0600

                    ===============

                    Message 9 of 30 , Mar 8 6:52 PM
                      >... I just started watching It Takes A Thief again recently on Hulu. I had forgotten how good the opening credits were, particularly in the second and third seasons. That Dave Grusin theme, along with the graphics, were pretty sophisticated for the time. Heck, they stand up very well today.
                      ====================
                      I completely agree. A lot of the attraction I have for the series stems from the great Grusin theme, and RJ's extreme likeability.
                      ====================
                      >... I recall reading that there was an effort a couple of years ago to do an It Takes A Thief feature film with Will Smith in the title role. I've nothing against Will Smith, but I just don't see him as Al Mundy. And since we've heard nothing since, I have to assume the film is in development limbo.
                      ====================
                      Correct! It was about three years ago this month that it was big news:

                      http://news.softpedia.com/news/Will-Smith-to-Star-in-It-Takes-a-Thief-20172.shtml

                      I'm with you regarding Will Smith, though he can certainly play "charming" well. ;) If it'd gotten made, the studio might have considered putting the original series out on DVD.

                      Message 10 of 30 , Mar 9 11:59 AM
                        Hello Lydia

                        Maybe Mundy is in government with all the other tricksters. :-)

                        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                        ===============

                        I completely agree, Geoff. I don't get why it hasn't, either.

                        That's why I'm making my own set. ;)

                        Jim

                      • probecontrol
                        Message 11 of 30 , Mar 18 5:19 PM
                          STEPHEN RUSSELL wrote:
                          > My uncle now deceased co starred in IT TAKES A THIEF (his name in show was DOVER) but his real name was JOHN L RUSSELL from 50s LAWMAN.
                          > Yes that Lawman from WB TV Westerns era.
                          =====================
                          I was walking past my video shelves while ago and saw a familiar face on the spine of my JASON OF STAR COMMAND: The Complete Series DVD set. John Russell! He played 'Commander Stone' on the series!

                          Pretty cool!

                          Jim Alexander
                        • STEPHEN RUSELL
                          Message 12 of 30 , Mar 18 5:51 PM
                            Plus he played an Indian in YELLOWSTONE KELLY in the 60s.
                            & the Bad dude in PALE RIDER, his last Western in 1985.
                            Yes PALE RIDER.

                            I was walking past my video shelves while ago and saw a familiar face on the spine of my JASON OF STAR COMMAND: The Complete Series DVD set. John Russell! He played 'Commander Stone' on the series!

                            Pretty cool!

                          • Lady Talara
                            Message 13 of 30 , Mar 21 12:48 AM
                              << STEPHEN RUSSELL wrote:
                              My uncle now deceased co starred in IT TAKES A THIEF (his name in show was OVER) but his real name was JOHN L RUSSELL from 50s LAWMAN. Yes that Lawman from WB TV Westerns era. >>

                              << I was walking past my video shelves while ago and saw a familiar face on the spine of my JASON OF STAR COMMAND: The Complete Series DVD set. John Russell! He played 'Commander Stone' on the series! Pretty cool! Jim Alexander >>

                              I have the series too Jim. Yes he was great as Comdr. Stone.

                              Cat