Location shooting for 'Search'

    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 20, 2009
      Hi Geoff and everyone: I'm enjoying the discussion of the different
      shooting locations which were used in Search.

      A few years ago, back when this was egroups and you could post photos
      in messages, we had some articles showing how some sets and locations
      were used and reused.

      As an example, some have noticed that the buildings used for Harbison's
      headquarters in "The Packagers" were reused a few episodes later as
      Vollmer's bank in "Numbered for Death." They did what they could to
      use different camera angles and such, but it was the same location.

      The interior of Harbison's headquarters was used a few episodes later
      as Arlene Morrison's apartment in "Clayton Lewis," etc.

      The small town square and clock tower of "Back to the Future" is one of
      the areas which survived the fire at Universal Studios during June 2008.

      The theater marquee area which was used as a train station in "The
      Bullet" was part of the streets of New York on the Universal backlot,
      and was one of the areas damaged/destroyed by last year's fire. Has
      anyone heard news as to whether or how they plan to rebuild the
      backlots?

      One thing to do is to make vidcaps of these locations as they appear in
      different shows and movies and post the Search comparisons to the
      current site at http://probecontrol.artshost.com/

      Or we can start a "locations" folder in the Photos section and start
      collecting comparison pics there.

      -----------------------------

      --- In probe_control, <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:

      > Just how many Mexico sets are there then?? My luck they were all made
      from the same mould although other than the brickwork, they would have
      been redressed a lot as well. That's largely why I wondered when it was
      put up.

      > One of the other long-standing sets is the small town that appeared
      in the original `Twilight Zone' and in the `Back To The Future' films.

      Message 34 of 34 , Jan 28, 2014
        It's funny, the first image that came to mind when you mentioned giant basement rock was a flashback episode of the Dick Van Dyke show about shopping for a house and looking at one that had a giant rock in the basement, that simply could not be blasted away when they built the house.

        On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM, LambuLambu@... <LambuLambu@...> wrote:

        Yeah... I'm familiar with Riverdale. It is a bit of distance from where I was. If you're looking at Google street maps, in my intersection, the house on the lower left corner was where I grew up. Every member of the family started out their family on the top floor of that house when they got married. I was the exception; I got the bottom floor because cousins had moved into the top floor after my mother moved us from there to Pennsylvania. My great aunt passed away a few months before my wife and I got married, and told my grandmother - who bought the house from her a year or so before - that she wanted us to have her apartment.

        That bottom floor was like living in a castle. When they built the house, they tried to blast a huge rock that was taking up most of the lot. All they succeeded in doing was hollowing out the rock, so they used that as the foundation. So that bottom floor has walls that are over a foot thick and solid rock! I remember the family talking about it. It took weeks just to drill and blast out openings for the doors and windows.

        If you use Google's street view where you're standing on the street looking at the house, it doesn't look anything like it did when I grew up in it. The entire bottom floor has been changed and the small gardens that were in the front next to the stairs and along the side of the house have been turned into concrete. I'd love to get the original floor plans of that house so I can one day build a "replica" when I finally settle down, but I have no idea where to even start looking for plans like that. It was a great two-family house that my grandmother had renovated into a three-family back in 1973, and for most of the spring leading up to the renovations, I had built a "PROBE Control" out of cardboard boxes in the large, empty front room on the second floor! My friends and fellow 'Search' fans had loads of fun playing about in there while we had it (from about April to the end of July).