Re: [probe_control] OT Article On The Magician

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 29 5:15 AM
      Well said, Michael.

      From: Michael Beacom
      To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2008 7:12 AM
      Subject: Re: [probe_control] OT Article On The Magician

      Definitely an interesting piece.

      I loved The Magician, and treasure my copies of the repeats done on Sci Fi Channel. It was of the same era as Search and I do believe that it suffered a similar fate. Over my last 30 years of viewing television, I find that the landscape is strewn with these shows (Anyone watch Strange Luck?) that tried to go where no show had gone before, only to be beaten back by the tide of mediocrity that is enforced by the business needs of the entertainment medium at the time.

      Oddly, now that the reigns have loosened a little and cable gives writers the chance to be Risk Takers, they still all seem to herd in the same directions(more flesh, more vulgarity, substituting for better writing and imagination).

      But it makes you wonder what Joe Stefano or Leslie Stevens would accomplish in the modern state of the medium.

      Michael B

      mjb1964@...
      "The difference between Fiction and Reality is that Fiction must be Plausible."