OT Article On The Magician

  • Actingman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 20, 2008
      I got this from another list, and I couldn't help thinking that an
      article on Search might run along similar lines.

      http://edrobertson.com/the_magician.htm
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 20, 2008
        Thanks for making the link available, John. Looks to be an interesting piece. I think I'll print it out and enjoy it at my leisure. ;)

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
          Definitely an interesting piece.

          I loved The Magician, and treasure my copies of the repeats done on Sci Fi Channel. It was of the same era as Search and I do believe that it suffered a similar fate. Over my last 30 years of viewing television, I find that the landscape is strewn with these shows (Anyone watch Strange Luck?) that tried to go where no show had gone before, only to be beaten back by the tide of mediocrity that is enforced by the business needs of the entertainment medium at the time.

          Oddly, now that the reigns have loosened a little and cable gives writers the chance to be Risk Takers, they still all seem to herd in the same directions(more flesh, more vulgarity, substituting for better writing and imagination).

          But it makes you wonder what Joe Stefano or Leslie Stevens would accomplish in the modern state of the medium.

          Michael B

          mjb1964@...
          "The difference between Fiction and Reality is that Fiction must be Plausible."

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2008
            Well said, Michael.