OT: Modesty Blaise

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
      Geoff asked:
      > Just an odd query. Are any of you people out there Modesty Blaise fans??
      ===================
      I've read some of the BLAISE strips. Tried recently to watch the
      semi-recent MY NAME IS MODESTY movie, and just couldn't finish it. ;)

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
        Hello everyone

        Those of you with more than a passing interest in Modesty Blaise are aware that there is an expensive Companion book in either of its formats. The hardback deluxe over here is about £170. The softcover is £55. [You'll have to do your own conversions but roughly £1: $2). Probably way beyond all of us. It covers everything about Modesty in both book and comicstrip.

        Anyway, I've been watching the prices on and off waiting for it to drop. One of our bigger bookshops website, WH Smiths, is offering the deluxe version for about £8.00. Now either they've made a massive mistake or they just want to get rid of the book. The softcover hasn't dropped in price yet.

        I dunno how this would affect you folk on your side of the pond or even if they deliver abroad if interested but its certainly worth spreading the word. I have ordered my own copy and they'll be delivering to my local Smiths so I don't even have to pay postage. Mind you, a 450 page large hardback is going to be a little weighty. As a deluxe volume, they can't have that many in their warehouse.

        Hello Bob

        Did you ever see the ‘My Name Is Modesty’ from Miramax??

        Hello Jim

        I read somewhere that there was a hardback of ‘Search’ the first book. I’ll see if I can find the detail.

        Try the film again. You’ve got to admire the young Modesty trying to open the tin with a tin opener bashing it.

        THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
        THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

        WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

        Telly addicts unite!
        http://www.searchgamesbox.com/tvtown.shtml
      • Bob Greenberger
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
          Hey Geoff,

          Never did see "My Name is Modesty" and sounds like I missed nothing. And I
          never knew about a Companion book which I would love to own but sounds
          pricey. Like you, I'll have to watch the pricing.

          As for SEARCH in hardcover -- nothing I've seen or heard about. Given the
          era of tie-ins when this came out, a hardcover would have been quite the
          anomaly.

          Bob
        • probecontrol@wowway.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
            > As for SEARCH in hardcover -- nothing I've seen or heard about. Given the
            > era of tie-ins when this came out, a hardcover would have been quite the
            > anomaly.

            Agreed.

            The only other quasi-TV tie-in that I can recall 'around' this period was Martin Caidin's CYBORG IV, which was published in both paper and hardback at around the same time (that's from memory, and I hope my facts are correct).

            Thanks, Bob--

            And thanks Geoff--for the MODESTY BLAISE heads-up.