Probe Control Re-imagined

  • Dean G.
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 19, 2007
      Greetings, All,

      I know it's probably been ages since I've had anything to
      contribute (no, it HAS been ages). So, since the group has been
      UNUSUALLY quiet this month I thought I'd share some interesting
      possibilities with everyone.

      Since every so often the topic of 'how would Probe Control look
      if "Search" was revived as a modern series?' comes up, I bring it up
      now and I pass on something that came to my attention courtesy of
      NASA Tech Briefs:

      http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm

      Personally, I can see several of these as strong contenders (mind
      you, each of the following would need a few modifications to lighting
      to give it the true feeling of our beloved Probe Control):

      the "GE Operations Center" could present the feel of Probe Control
      from the pilot movie - containing several Probe Control Units;

      the "Security Console" would give it that "bridge of the Galactica"
      feeling (either Galactica actually);

      the "Global Command Center Console", layout-wise, best captures the
      general arrangement of the original Probe Control;

      now take the back chair away from the "Call Center Console", add it
      to the "Security Console" above as Cameron's console, and you
      complete the feeling.

      Now, while "Control Room Console and Mobile Video
      Wall", "Monitoring Station", and "Military Command Console" each have
      their merits, I couldn't get past their having a strong feeling of
      being in a Batcave, regardless of lighting.

      End Run,
      Dino
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 19, 2007
        Pretty cool, Dino! Thanks for sharing!

        Jim Alexander

        ============

        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
          I vote for the GE center design. Perfect for a 'command center' look.

          Dean G. wrote:

          > Greetings, All,
          >
          > I know it's probably been ages since I've had anything to
          > contribute (no, it HAS been ages). So, since the group has been
          > UNUSUALLY quiet this month I thought I'd share some interesting
          > possibilities with everyone.
          >
          > Since every so often the topic of 'how would Probe Control look
          > if "Search" was revived as a modern series?' comes up, I bring it up
          > now and I pass on something that came to my attention courtesy of
          > NASA Tech Briefs:
          >
          > http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm
          > <http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm>
          >
          > Personally, I can see several of these as strong contenders (mind
          > you, each of the following would need a few modifications to lighting
          > to give it the true feeling of our beloved Probe Control):
          >
          > the "GE Operations Center" could present the feel of Probe Control
          > from the pilot movie - containing several Probe Control Units;
          >
          > the "Security Console" would give it that "bridge of the Galactica"
          > feeling (either Galactica actually);
          >
          > the "Global Command Center Console", layout-wise, best captures the
          > general arrangement of the original Probe Control;
          >
          > now take the back chair away from the "Call Center Console", add it
          > to the "Security Console" above as Cameron's console, and you
          > complete the feeling.
          >
          > Now, while "Control Room Console and Mobile Video
          > Wall", "Monitoring Station", and "Military Command Console" each have
          > their merits, I couldn't get past their having a strong feeling of
          > being in a Batcave, regardless of lighting.
          >
          > End Run,
          > Dino

        • STEPHEN RUSELL

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
              My choice is the Military Command Center style look with Huge HD Flat TV monitor.
              like in 70s serial, spread out in the floor etc.
              Nice, tight look.

              "Dean G." <LambuLambu@...> wrote:
[...]

            • search_fan
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                - -- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Dean G." <LambuLambu@...> wrote:

                I ofter wonder what Leslie Stevens brilliant mind would have come up
                with with new technology and curret conditions in the world story wise
                for SEARCH.
                Carol Jackson

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                  Hello Dino

                  The problem is that series like 'Alias' and our own [Spooks] (usa title: MI5) use similar trechniques to Search to keep up with their agents.

                  Geoff********* GF Willmetts **************************** Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER WE DON�T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:- AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ ***************************************************

                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.comFrom: richardperez@...: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:42:46 -0500Subject: Re: [probe_control] Probe Control Re-imagined

                  I vote for the GE center design. Perfect for a 'command center' look.Dean G. wrote:>> Greetings, All,>> I know it's probably been ages since I've had anything to> contribute (no, it HAS been ages). So, since the group has been> UNUSUALLY quiet this month I thought I'd share some interesting> possibilities with everyone.>> Since every so often the topic of 'how would Probe Control look> if "Search" was revived as a modern series?' comes up, I bring it up> now and I pass on something that came to my attention courtesy of> NASA Tech Briefs:>> http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm > <http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm>>> Personally, I can see several of these as strong contenders (mind> you, each of the following would need a few modifications to lighting> to give it the true feeling of our beloved Probe Control):>> the "GE Operations Center" could present the feel of Probe Control> from the pilot movie - containing several Probe Control Units;>> the "Security Console" would give it that "bridge of the Galactica"> feeling (either Galactica actually);>> the "Global Command Center Console", layout-wise, best captures the> general arrangement of the original Probe Control;>> now take the back chair away from the "Call Center Console", add it> to the "Security Console" above as Cameron's console, and you> complete the feeling.>> Now, while "Control Room Console and Mobile Video> Wall", "Monitoring Station", and "Military Command Console" each have> their merits, I couldn't get past their having a strong feeling of> being in a Batcave, regardless of lighting.>> End Run,> Dino>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                    Yes, but I don't know anyone who has gone so far as to suggest
                    implanting receiving devices in one's head!

                    Geoff Willmetts wrote:
> [...]
                    >

                    > I vote for the GE center design. Perfect for a 'command center' look.Dean G. wrote:>> Greetings, All,>> I know it's probably been ages since I've had anything to> contribute (no, it HAS been ages). So, since the group has been> UNUSUALLY quiet this month I thought I'd share some interesting> possibilities with everyone.>> Since every so often the topic of 'how would Probe Control look> if "Search" was revived as a modern series?' comes up, I bring it up> now and I pass on something that came to my attention courtesy of> NASA Tech Briefs:>> http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm > <http://www.techinteriors.com/installations.htm>>> Personally, I can see several of these as strong contenders (mind> you, each of the following would need a few modifications to lighting> to give it the true feeling of our beloved Probe Control):>> the "GE Operations Center" could present the feel of Probe Control> from the pilot movie - containing several Probe Control Units;>> the "Security Console" would give it that "bridge of the Galactica"> feeling (either Galactica actually);>> the "Global Command Center Console", layout-wise, best captures the> general arrangement of the original Probe Control;>> now take the back chair away from the "Call Center Console", add it> to the "Security Console" above as Cameron's console, and you> complete the feeling.>> Now, while "Control Room Console and Mobile Video> Wall", "Monitoring Station", and "Military Command Console" each have> their merits, I couldn't get past their having a strong feeling of> being in a Batcave, regardless of lighting.>> End Run,> Dino>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                  • Charley Kline
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                      The concept also appeared in the 1969 Gregory Peck movie "The Chairman" but with much less finesse. Although I think I agree we haven't seen anything like that recently, unless you count cyberpunk vehicles like "The Matrix" which accomplish similar goals with way more far-out technology.

                      /cvk

                      Yes, but I don't know anyone who has gone so far as to suggest

                      implanting receiving devices in one's head!

                    • Merlin David Avatar
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                        Ok then, how about the "NORAD" mock-up used in the old
                        movie "Wargames". I think that too has possibilities although it too
                        would have to be updated. There are also several "control Rooms"
                        from various James Bond movies that could fill the bill.

                        But as my good friend Dennis Miller is fond of saying: "That's just
                        MY opinion, but I could be wrong."

                        Of course, anything that would bring a revival of our Favorite
                        series, even as a mini-series of one-time movie.

                        Merlin

                        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Willmetts

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                          Greetings, All,

                          Along these lines (and a bit OT), has anyone seen any of the SciFi
                          Channel's latest rendition of "The Bionic Woman"? The guys at
                          the "home office" can track Jamie through the GPS/Lo-jack in her
                          bionics, see what she sees through her bionic eye, and hear what she
                          hears through her bionic ear. The ear, I think, however, only works
                          one way - they still have to talk to her via cell phone or the like
                          for her to hear them. (Although, when she doesn't answer the phone,
                          like Probe Control, they can send a feed-back through her ear to get
                          her attention.)

                          How's that for a quasi-probe agent with updated implants?

                          End Run,
                          Dino

                          --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Perez"

                        • probecontrol@sigecom.net
                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 20, 2007
                            You're right, Dino. The new Jaime Sommers isn't all that far away from being outfitted like a Probe Agent via her 'anthrocytes.' :)

                            > Greetings, All,
                            >
                            > Along these lines (and a bit OT), has anyone seen
                            > any of the SciFi
                            > Channel's latest rendition of "The Bionic Woman"?
                            > The guys at
                            > the "home office" can track Jamie through the
                            > GPS/Lo-jack in her
                            > bionics, see what she sees through her bionic eye,
                            > and hear what she
                            > hears through her bionic ear. The ear, I think,
                            > however, only works
                            > one way - they still have to talk to her via cell
                            > phone or the like
                            > for her to hear them. (Although, when she doesn't
                            > answer the phone,
                            > like Probe Control, they can send a feed-back
                            > through her ear to get
                            > her attention.)
                            >
                            > How's that for a quasi-probe agent with updated
                            > implants?
                            >
                            > End Run,
                            > Dino
                          • ronaldheld
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 22, 2007
                              Until I read it here, i did no see the analogue that exist between
                              the new Bionic Woman and Search.

                              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Merlin David Avatar"
                              <AVATAR_MERLIN@...> wrote:

> [...]
                              > true feeling of our beloved Probe Control):>> the "GE Operations
                              > Center" could present the feel of Probe Control> from the pilot
                              > movie - containing several Probe Control Units;>> the "Security
                              > Console" would give it that "bridge of the Galactica"> feeling
                              > (either Galactica actually);>> the "Global Command Center Console",
                              > layout-wise, best captures the> general arrangement of the original
                              > Probe Control;>> now take the back chair away from the "Call Center
                              > Console", add it> to the "Security Console" above as Cameron's
                              > console, and you> complete the feeling.>> Now, while "Control Room
                              > Console and Mobile Video> Wall", "Monitoring Station",
                              and "Military
                              > Command Console" each have> their merits, I couldn't get past their
                              > having a strong feeling of> being in a Batcave, regardless of
                              > lighting.>> End Run,> Dino>> [Non-text portions of this message

                            • STEPHEN RUSELL
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 25, 2007
                                I think the movie The Chairman was the seed for Search & Probe Control but they used only Radio communications & Biomed implants to track Gregory Peck in China.
                                Pure Hi Tech then for 1969.
                                Pecks controllers had no Visual means to communicate.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 26, 2007
                                  I think it is a testament to SEARCH that Fred Harpman was hired by NBC
                                  to redesign their news sets. I'd love to see an updated NewsCenter4
                                  design. But, we can only dream.....

                                  STEPHEN RUSELL wrote:

                                  > I think the movie The Chairman was the seed for Search & Probe Control
                                  > but they used only Radio communications & Biomed implants to track
                                  > Gregory Peck in China.
                                  > Pure Hi Tech then for 1969.
                                  > Pecks controllers had no Visual means to communicate.
                                  >

                                  > Charley Kline <cvkline@... <mailto:cvkline%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                  > The concept also appeared in the 1969 Gregory Peck movie "The
                                  > Chairman" but with much less finesse. Although I think I agree we
                                  > haven't seen anything like that recently, unless you count cyberpunk
                                  > vehicles like "The Matrix" which accomplish similar goals with way
                                  > more far-out technology.
                                  >
                                  > /cvk

                                • Mike
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 27, 2007
                                    <richardperez@...> wrote:

                                    > I think it is a testament to SEARCH that Fred Harpman was hired by
                                    NBC
                                    > to redesign their news sets. I'd love to see an updated
                                    NewsCenter4
                                    > design. But, we can only dream.....
                                    >
                                    > STEPHEN RUSELL wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I think the movie The Chairman was the seed for Search & Probe
                                    Control
                                    > > but they used only Radio communications & Biomed implants to
                                    track
                                    > > Gregory Peck in China.
                                    > > Pure Hi Tech then for 1969.
                                    > > Pecks controllers had no Visual means to communicate.
                                    > >

                                    > > Charley Kline <cvkline@... <mailto:cvkline%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
                                    > > The concept also appeared in the 1969 Gregory Peck movie "The
                                    > > Chairman" but with much less finesse. Although I think I agree
                                    we
                                    > > haven't seen anything like that recently, unless you count
                                    cyberpunk
                                    > > vehicles like "The Matrix" which accomplish similar goals with
                                    way
                                    > > more far-out technology.
                                    > >
                                    > > /cvk

                                    Implanting devices direct into the brain is now a reality
                                    - have you seen the Discovery Chnl - they have implanted a camera
                                    that is in the eye glasses of a blind person, VIA a small computer,
                                    to the brain, that lets a blind person see? Bout a year ago. WOW - I
                                    think anything from the old SPY Shows may be possible very soon? Or
                                    already is?

                                    I have found through Searching the internet, a Very small camera -
                                    the size a a pencile eraser - that would fit inside the LENS of one
                                    of my Scanners, with a Xmitter 1/2INCH x 1/2 INCH x 1/8 INCH that
                                    will also fit inside a Scanner Case - yes, I have have thought about
                                    making a Scanner with them in it that Really works. (Not top on my
                                    list-but would that be way COOL?)

                                    Hi ALL, hope you all had a great Thanksgiving. If I dont check into
                                    the board? - All have a Merry XMas and a Safe an Happy New Year!

                                    Good Day,
                                    kc8nqa,
                                    Mike :)
                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 3, 2008
                                      Hi All,
                                      Just wanted to say,hope you ALL had a Great Holidays.

                                      Been really busy lately - Holidays an all.

                                      Hope All had a Great Thanksgiving an a Great Christmas, also a Happy
                                      an Safe NewYear.

                                      kc8nqa,
                                      Mike S.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 4, 2008
                                        Mike S. wrote:
                                        Just wanted to say,hope you ALL had a Great Holidays. Been really busy lately - Holidays an all. Hope All had a Great Thanksgiving an a Great Christmas, also a Happy and Safe NewYear.