Re: [probe_control] Trek effect

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hello Martin and the others on this discussion point about Star Trek

      Although the original Star Trek was in continual repeats, back in the early
      70s a new series wasn't even considered. I suspect someone had the idea that
      if the sound effects were used it would keep the memory alive longer. Shame
      it didn't work. :-) I mean ST-TNG and the films didn't use the old effects
      noises at all.

      �Search� wasn�t the only series that did this. The computer that checked
      out Steve Austin�s bionics in �The Six Million Dollar Man� first season was
      Colossus from �The Forbin Project�.

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
      SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      Got a favourite clothes shop, bar or restaurant? Share your local knowledge
      http://www.backofmyhand.com
    • Brooks Cook
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hello Everyone,

        Yet another possibility is that none of these production folks on the
        original Star Trek, or Search, or any of these old, yet still popular
        today programs - none of these guys could've foreseen that their
        shows would be beloved, watched over and over and become part of pop
        culture, every aspect of every show, script, and yes, even sound
        effect would be so well known and scrutinized some 40 years later!

        So while working on Search in the early 70s, the ol' boys just
        figured, hey we have this cool data bank of sfx, let's use this one!
        It sounds "high-tech". But after 40 years of watching Trek, the
        audience (nowadays) can instantly, e'er so confidently say, "oh
        that's the tricorder effect..." or whatever.

        These guys in the 60s were just hoping to make it work with their
        rush schedules, praying their weekly checks cleared and that they
        didn't screw up too badly with how fast things were going. You know,
        making the mortgage. Who knew they'd (seriously) be making history!
        And we'd remember rush decisions they made all those years ago?

        God bless 'em.

        :)