Re: [probe_control] Star Trek SFX in Search?

    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 27, 2007
      Yeah. As a kid, I remember it tickled me to hear that. ;)

      The 'Bridge background' sound effect is also used in 'The Adonis File' when Probe Control is assisting Lockwood in the sabotaged helicopter.

      Jim Alexander

      =============================
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 27, 2007
        Hello Jeff Hass

        Considering Bob Justman was an associate producer, getting the sound effects
        wouldn't have been difficult.

        Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
        http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
        THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
        THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

        AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
        SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
        DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
        SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

        Can you see your house from the sky? Try Live Search Maps
        http://maps.live.com
      • Dean G.
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 28, 2007
          Greetings, All,

          Sorry; I just couldn't pass on this one. Those Trek sound FX have
          been finding their way into some unusual places. Just listen to an
          episode of "Futurama", or any of the original (that's 1980s' version)
          of "He-man and the Masters of the Universe." (Yes, I had a kid in
          the '80s and he loved He-Man, as well as "Thundercats.") Strangely,
          more FX are heard in He-man than in Futurama. I also remember hearing
          the weird sound Spock's scanner scope made in an episode of "Riptide"
          (another from the '80s).

          Does this mean sounds aren't copyrighted?

          End Run,
          Dino

          --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Alexander"

        • Richard_1968@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 28, 2007
            What about the same Star Trek lookalike sounds in the Search eppy "In
            Search Of Midas?"

            Rick
          • ronaldheld
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 29, 2007
              Did Bob Justman has some of the TOS sound crew with him at that time?

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Richard_1968@... wrote:

              > What about the same Star Trek lookalike sounds in the Search eppy "In
              > Search Of Midas?"
              >
              > Rick

            • martin allen
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 29, 2007
                I was wondering if this topic would ever come up...
                To all concerned: yes, you are indeed hearing certain sound effects from one of our favorite Space Operas in episodes of Search and here is why: the actual effects reel is/was the property of the Glen Glenn Sound Company--(read the closing credits of any ST episode) I say is/was because for all I know now, Glen Glenn has long since been bought out by Paramount--or at least, parts of it have...
                If you need further proof of my claims, find yourself a copy of the Star Trek sound effects CD--you will hear a whole lot of oddly familiar sound-cues--and I can say this from still only having the pilot and the easiest three episodes on tape/dvd...I have a long memory for little details like that, and I can recall hearing a lot of these sound fx from the original broadcasts- If you still don't believe me, check out a piece of celluloid drive-in trash called 'Space Monster' from 1965--the kind of brain-freezing crap that you can only imagine coming on the tube during some sort of pre-cable Southern California TV nightmare, which is exactly where I saw it--this unwashed hound actually has the complete sound fx sequence of the Enterprise bridge in it...I wonder how many shades of purple Gene Roddenberry turned when he found out...
                While I'm at it--anybody out there have any information on the GAF View Master reels (of the episode 'The Gold Machine')?
                Martin

                ronaldheld <ronaldheld@...> wrote:
                Did Bob Justman has some of the TOS sound crew with him at that time?

                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Richard_1968@... wrote:

                > What about the same Star Trek lookalike sounds in the Search eppy "In
                > Search Of Midas?"
                >
                > Rick

              • jeffhaas2sorrent
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, martin allen <zippytkat@...> wrote:

                  > While I'm at it--anybody out there have any information on the
                  GAF View Master reels (of the episode 'The Gold Machine')?
                  > Martin

                  You mean the Viewmaster episode of Search? I have it somewhere.
                  Bought it when I was a kid.

                  Jeff
                • actingman6@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                    And you can view the images and read the booklet here:

                    http://probecontrol.com/Merchadise/ViewMaster/viewmaster.html

                    On 9/30/07, jeffhaas2sorrent <jeffhaas2sorrent@...> wrote:

                    > --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com <probe_control%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > martin allen <zippytkat@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > While I'm at it--anybody out there have any information on the
                    > GAF View Master reels (of the episode 'The Gold Machine')?
                    > > Martin
                    > >

                    > You mean the Viewmaster episode of Search? I have it somewhere.
                    > Bought it when I was a kid.
                    >
                    > Jeff

                  • Richard D. Perez
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 30, 2007
                      I've got it, along with my VMs of Hawaii Five-O, Star Trek, Time Tunnel,
                      and Voyage To The Bottom of the Sea.