DVD Recording Cleared Up

  • Stephen Russell
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 2, 2007
      I was Recording DVDs BUT NOT Finalizing them.

      I never knew about Finalizing discs.

      Did same like for old VHS tapes.

      or audio tapes.

      U record, ID & send off etc.

      My Cyberhome does NOT automatically Finalize Blank DVDs.

      FYI for all with DVD Recorders at Home.

      Be nice if newer models had this feature BUT then those CR codes to
      block Recording????

      Anyone encounter that on theyre DVDs????

      Cant record show or U record & finalize BUT DVD wont play??

      Just thinking.

      Be bad news for Probe Control & VC Cameron for some data on agents.
    • sms99992000
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
        Stephen,

        Yes, those of us who learned to use CD writing technology on "old"
        (pre-Windows XP) personal computer operating systems had known about
        finalizing CD's. As Geoff mentioned previously, the reason for the
        finalizing option is to not "waste" a CD/R if you intended to write more
        data to it from the same, or another computer with a CD/RW drive. This
        was especially important back in the day when CD/R's were $1.00 or more
        a piece (and CD/RW's didn't even exist). With the advent of Windows XP
        (which "dumbs down" the process into terms like "make this CD readable
        in other computers") and also home DVD recorders, you've got to dig a
        little bit in the manual to get a better understanding of what that
        process means.

        I've got a cheap-o ($100 at Wally Mart as a Xmas gift) Memorex DVD
        recorder which can also use DVD/RW discs for recording. There is an
        option called "make edit session compatible" in the same menu as
        "finalize" which will allow DVD +RW discs to be read on other players
        (that are not recorders). I have not yet tried this option, but in
        theory, it should allow me to read the DVD +RW disc in a regular player,
        then go back and put it in the recorder and open an edit session again
        to re-write the disc.

        Steve Schneider
        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen Russell"
        <stephenrusell@...> wrote:

        > I was Recording DVDs BUT NOT Finalizing them.
        >
        > I never knew about Finalizing discs.
        >
        > Did same like for old VHS tapes.
        >
        > or audio tapes.
        >
        > U record, ID & send off etc.
        >
        > My Cyberhome does NOT automatically Finalize Blank DVDs.
        >
        > FYI for all with DVD Recorders at Home.
        >
        > Be nice if newer models had this feature BUT then those CR codes to
        > block Recording????
        >
        > Anyone encounter that on theyre DVDs????
        >
        > Cant record show or U record & finalize BUT DVD wont play??
        >
        > Just thinking.
        >
        > Be bad news for Probe Control & VC Cameron for some data on agents.

      • STEPHEN RUSELL
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3, 2007
          Thanks for your feedback, But I use DVD Recorder to TV, Never the PC.
          Yes I have Windows XP Home on PC.