Re: 2nd 'World Securities' building LOCATED

  • ronaldheld
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2007
      Good work, thanks.

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Alexander"
      <probecontrol@...> wrote:

      > I see now that one can select North-South-East-West views of the
      building! Very cool!

      > Jim
      > ====================

      LOCATED

      > Now THAT'S a cool shot!!! Too bad the only shadow in the picture
      is right over the parking garage, which is one of the more distinct
      details of the structure.

      > MANY THANKS, Don and Eric!
      >
      > Jim Alexander
      > =============================

      v=2&cp=pp9gkc548mgr&style=o&lvl=1&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-
      1000&scene=6953274&encType=1

      > =====================
      > From: dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@...>
      > Date: 2007/07/06 Fri PM 08:57:36 CDT
      > To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [probe_control] 2nd 'World Securities' building LOCATED
      >
      > Folks, I have finally located the 2nd building that was used
      > in "Search" for the "World Securities" building. It is called the
      > Central Civil West Courthouse and the address is 600 S.
      Commonwealth
      > Ave. in Los Angeles. Obviously I will need to update my article
      on
      > the World Securities buildings, but I wanted everyone to have
      access
      > to the raw information first.
      > http://probecontrol.com/articles/wsbldg/WldSec1b.htm
      >
      > More information, photos, maps, plus links:

      > http://www.you-are-here.com/modern/courthouse.html
      > Nice photo of the Central Civil West Courthouse glass tower,
      > reminiscent of the type of angle we saw of the building
      in "Search."

      > http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=il&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=%2B%
      22600%
      > 20South%20Commonwealth%22
      > Above link gives you a Google map of the building location. Once
      > there, you can also click to see an aerial view, but you will see
      > nothing but the very top of the building and its surroundings.
      You

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2007
        Thanks to Eric for providing the link, and to Jim for the info on how
        to tweak the images further. Once you get to the site, if you see an
        onscreen display saying "Loading," you're okay. Just let it load.
        Once a building image appears, you can then move around the views of
        the building.

        Interesting how the flat glass of the building acts as a mirror. When
        viewed from a height, as in the local.live.com link, the dark streets
        are reflected. When seen from street level, as in the "Search"
        series, it reflects the sky, making the building appear blue.

        Hopefully some of the list members who live near the area can one day
        send us some clear pics of the building, maybe showing us aspects you
        can't see beneath the trees in these online photo sites.

        I can see where Grover entered and left "World Securities building"
        via the parking garage in "Short Circuit." You can see an arrow
        painted on the ground where the garage entrance is. If you look
        carefully at the parking attendent's booth in the garage in the "Short
        Circuit" episode, you will see an overhead sign saying "Exit to
        Commonwealth Ave" or similar. But if you blink your eyes, you can
        miss it. But this confirms that the parking garage seen in "Short
        Circuit" is part of the same building.

        When Grover left with the Mega Trans package, he raced down
        Commonwealth and made a right turn apparently onto Wilshire
        Boulevard. The area behind "World Securities building" was/is
        Lafayette Park and a number of parking lots, and the area looks
        similar today.