Hello All

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 2 5:02 AM
      Hello Jim Don and ALL,

      Thought I would drop in and let all know that after careful
      consideration I have decided to part with a Scanner and Neck Chain
      Attachment that I intended on keeping for myself.

      Sorry but it will Not include a chain do to the fact that the chains
      I did have were included with the previous Scanners.

      It will include the engraved back - plate "SEARCH 1972 -2007 35 YRS"

      I will list it when I can, there are some health problems in the
      family. I will keep the Probecontrol board informed.

      Thanks,

      Have A Great Day ALL.

      Mike
      kc8nqa

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Alexander"
      <probecontrol@...> wrote:

      > Anyone who's interested... DEEP DISCOUNT has a widescreen THE
      CHAIRMAN for $14.64 with free shipping:

      > http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5746220
      >
      > It doesn't mention 'Extras' though. Hmmmmmmm.
      >
      > Thanks--
      >
      > Jim Alexander

      Hill
      > (who played Shelby, the nearest equivilent to Cam in the movie)
      passed
      > away 22 Oct 2006.
      >
      > Plotwise, the movie reminds me a lot of "The Bullet" because the
      agent

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 3 6:22 PM
        Thanks for letting us know, Mike! My best wishes to your family members in ill health. You've been very successful in getting very good prices for your past scanners, and I hope you do as well with THIS one! Thanks for letting the group know.

        <probecontrol@...> wrote:

        > Anyone who's interested... DEEP DISCOUNT has a widescreen THE
        CHAIRMAN for $14.64 with free shipping:

        > http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5746220
        >
        > It doesn't mention 'Extras' though. Hmmmmmmm.
        >
        > Thanks--
        >
        > Jim Alexander

      • Mike
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 3 7:33 PM
          Hello Jim, ALL,

          Thank you Jim for the best wishes - it is my mom the is not doing well.
          We are all hopeing for her recovery so we can have here back home soon.
          It has been hard on us all these last few days.

          Anyway, I did indeed list that Scanner if anyone is interested?

          http://cgi.ebay.com/Prop-Hero-Scanner-Replica-Search-Series-1972_W0QQite\
          mZ180092378749QQihZ008QQcategoryZ155QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte\
          <http://cgi.ebay.com/Prop-Hero-Scanner-Replica-Search-Series-1972_W0QQit\
          emZ180092378749QQihZ008QQcategoryZ155QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt\
          em>

          Or of course, a Search for: Prop Hero Scanner.

          I wanted to get it list earlier but just couldnt get around to it til
          now.

          I also put a plug in for the Probecontrol Board. [:)]

          Thanks again Jim, ALL,

          Mike

          ------------------

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 25, 2012
            Hello everyone

            At long last I�ve been able to watch �The
            Chairman�. I have vague memories of the beginning but can�t remember why I
            never saw it all the way through back in the early 70s. Presumably, I didn�t
            have control of the TV set at the time.

            I can understand the �Search� connection
            now although do wonder how they rigged Hathaway for medical telemetry but I
            suspect it was more to cover the ending when he couldn�t speak aloud.

            There�s still a matter of a quandary of
            how the device was powered but I guess they didn�t think of it back then.

            Oh, I thought it was a good film even if
            it could have done with a better name. Anyone listened to the audio commentary yet??

          • secretconcierge
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 25, 2012
              Movie came out in 1969, & yes we was wired then for audio only.
              Radical concept for Then But today doable.
              Gensis for TV show Search??

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone
              >

              > At long last I've been able to watch `The
              > Chairman'. I have vague memories of the beginning but can't remember why I
              > never saw it all the way through back in the early 70s. Presumably, I didn't
              > have control of the TV set at the time.
              >

              > I can understand the `Search' connection
              > now although do wonder how they rigged Hathaway for medical telemetry but I
              > suspect it was more to cover the ending when he couldn't speak aloud.
              >

              > There's still a matter of a quandary of
              > how the device was powered but I guess they didn't think of it back then.
              >

              > Oh, I thought it was a good film even if
              > it could have done with a better name. Anyone listened to the audio commentary yet??
              >

              > Geoff
              >

              > ********* GF Willmetts ****************************
              > Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
              > THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER
              > Between 42-48 million hits a month!!!
              >

              > WE DON'T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-
              >
              > AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

            • David Marks
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 25, 2012
                I always look for an excuse to chat about "The Chairman."  It was based on the book of the same title by J. Richard Kennedy.  This film was was one of those rare instances in which it surpassed the book.  The title wanted to make clear the threat that Red China's Chairman Mao Tse-tung posed to the free world.

                I first saw "The Chairman" in December 1973 when I was beginning Christmas break in high school.  Our part of the States was beset with a blizzard.  My parents wanted to watch a Gregory Peck movie.  First, I quickly saw a thread of similarity to SEARCH by virtue of the Q-23 implant and the Operation Minotaur control center.  Second, there was the biochemistry and biophysics contributing to the plot.  The MacGuffin was a climate inhibiting enzyme which Gregory Peck must extract for the free world.  At the time I was learning much about biochemistry in school.  There were biochemical teasers at work for me.  Of course, there was the cybernetics at work for Operation Minotaur.  I loved the tense minutes as John Hathaway was making his escape from the PRC to the Mongolian border.  The mag tape Shelby and his British assistant had a skull-and-crossbones on the casing. They were playing it slowly in the thirty-second countdown for detonation.

                Oh yes, I didn't recognize it in 1973 until I was able to rewatch "The Chairman" in 1980.  Ziena Merton plays the part of Hong Kong temptress Ting Ling.  This is a very different part for her prior to Sandra in "Space 1999."

                Thank you for posting about "The Chairman."  I should think SEARCH owes much to this movies.

                     End Run,

                     David in MA

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 25, 2012
                  I believe the book was written in 1966.  However, Kennedy did not offer an explanation on powering the device.  It was explained as classified to his version of John Hathaway.

                       End Run,

                       David in MA

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 26, 2012
                    Hello David

                    The problem with �The Chairman� as a title
                    is its too generic. It looks like a board of directors, even back in the 70s
                    (on TV not cinema by the way when I think I saw the opening). I think I would
                    have gone for a title more appropriate to Hathaway�s predicament for the film.
                    After all, it was also released under the title �The Most Dangerous Man In The
                    World� which is also vague. Who does it refer to: Hathaway or Mao?? Is there
                    any major differences between the book and film before I go after the former??

                    I saw a couple of the extras on the DVD yesterday
                    including a more explicit scene with Ziena Merton
                    which I presume was in the rest of the world cut?? Back in those days there
                    were very few oriental or oriental looking actresses, let alone actors, over
                    here and these three were the most regularly used. Eric Young appeared all over
                    the place, including �The Champions� pilot and the SF film �Invasion� where I
                    remembered him most from. Burnt Kwouk was already legendary.

                  • David Marks
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 26, 2012
                      Greeting Geoff,

                      By the standards of the 1960s it was enough to say "Chairman" or "Chairman Mao" to
                      inspire shock and awe.  Mao Tse-tung or Mao Zedong was seen by many as a threat
                      to peace during that period especially after the split with the USSR.  President Lyndon
                      B. Johnson had a morbid dread for Red China and Chairman Mao.  The movie's title
                      was not as generic as you might think.  For many, the life and times of Mao Tse-tung
                      is legendary.  It has been known that the present Chinese leadership would ask Henry
                      Kissinger about Mao Tse-tung, Chou En-lai, and Deng Tsiao-Ping (I use the old standard
                      for the Chinese personages).

                      I myself read the Kennedy book about four years after I first saw the movie.  I found it
                      very wanting and tasteless in comparison to the movie.  First, there are significant
                      differences between the protagonists.  In the book John Hathaway is a young
                      academic impersonating the son of a magnate who is granted permission to visit
                      Red China and meet the Chairman.  The movie version made is easier for Hathaway
                      to be a biochemist with the knowlege to solve the problem and extract the McGuffin
                      to the free world.

                      It is a very different China after Mao Tse-tung.  The Bamboo Curtain had been
                      dismantled.

                           End Run,

                           David in MA

                      --- On Sun, 2/2

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 26, 2012
                        Hello David

                        I was around back then don�t forget. I don�t
                        think we Brits felt as intimidated by Mao as your lot were, probably because we
                        were keeping an idea on the Soviet Union as well.

                        From the sounds of things, the book was
                        adapted to fit Gregory Peck.

                        To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                        From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

                        To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 26, 2012
                          Greetings Geoff,

                          Apologies.  I had mis-guesstimated you age.

                          I don't believe Kennedy had Gregory Peck in mind.  His protagonist was
                          much younger than the Gregory Peck character.  Further, there was not
                          so great an emphasis on technology as there was in the movie.

                               End Run,

                               David in MA

                                I was around back then don’t forget. I don’t
                          think we Brits felt as intimidated by Mao as your lot were, probably because we
                          were keeping an idea on the Soviet Union as well.

                                From the sounds of things, the book was
                          adapted to fit Gregory Peck.

                          WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

                          To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                          From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

                          To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>