Re: [probe_control] The Chairman

  • probecontrol@sigecom.net
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 28 11:50 AM
      As you say David, THE CHAIRMAN is a fine thriller, and a
      great recommendation. Listmember Don Harden and I have
      discussed this exellent film in the past.

      Thanks for the suggestion--

      Jim Alexander

      =====================================

    • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
        Glad to help.

        End Run,

        David

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
          --- In probe_control, yorktowncmdr@... wrote:
          > "The Chairman" has come within our realm of discussion as a
          progenitor to SEARCH. For those interested in having a DVD of this
          taut thriller it is available from sendmemovies.com.

          Hi: AMC Movie Channel runs "The Chairman" from time to time, but I
          suspect the film is edited. I have an AMC recording of it, but it'd
          be nice to get an unedited version. Also sad to say that Arthur Hill
          (who played Shelby, the nearest equivilent to Cam in the movie) passed
          away 22 Oct 2006.

          Plotwise, the movie reminds me a lot of "The Bullet" because the agent
          must retrieve a complex formula from a foreign country, then is faced
          with having to make a seemingly impossible escape.

          I've always liked to refer to "The Chairman" as the unofficial first
          pilot for "Search," the same way I've always referred to "Forbidden
          Planet" as the unofficial first pilot for "Star Trek." :-)

          IMDb on "The Chairman":
          imdb.com/title/tt0064148/
        • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
            Greetings Again,

            >Hi: AMC Movie Channel runs "The Chairman" from time to time, but I
            >suspect the film is edited. I have an AMC recording of it, but it'd
            >be nice to get an unedited version. Also sad to say that Arthur Hill
            >(who played Shelby, the nearest equivilent to Cam in the movie) passed
            >away 22 Oct 2006.

            I will add that both Encore and Fox Movie Channel would run "The Chairman"
            from time-to-time, thankfully, free of commercials. Arthur Hill's passing got
            by me. How did that happen. Sorry to hear about it.

            The DVD has some bonus features too. There is a deleted scene involving more
            with Hathaway in his hotel suite with Ting-Ling played by Zienia Merton
            (Sandra in "Space 1999). Let me say we can see much more of Zienia Merton ;)

            >Plotwise, the movie reminds me a lot of "The Bullet" because the agent
            >must retrieve a complex formula from a foreign country, then is faced
            >with having to make a seemingly impossible escape.

            It's a good comparison for Hathaway's escape from the PRC. It also touches
            upon biophysics and biochemistry for the story's backdrop.

            >I've always liked to refer to "The Chairman" as the unofficial first
            >pilot for "Search," the same way I've always referred to "Forbidden
            >Planet" as the unofficial first pilot for "Star Trek." :-)

            That's my sentiment about "The Chairman" too. I even feel that the movie is
            better than the J. Richard Kennedy book. Once again the addy to find the
            movie is as follows: http://www.sendmemovies.com I am a very happy customer.

            End Run,

            David

            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2007
              Anyone who's interested... DEEP DISCOUNT has a widescreen THE CHAIRMAN for $14.64 with free shipping:

              http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5746220

              It doesn't mention 'Extras' though. Hmmmmmmm.

              Thanks--

              > "The Chairman" has come within our realm of discussion as a
              progenitor to SEARCH. For those interested in having a DVD of this
              taut thriller it is available from sendmemovies.com.

              Hi: AMC Movie Channel runs "The Chairman" from time to time, but I
              suspect the film is edited. I have an AMC recording of it, but it'd
              be nice to get an unedited version. Also sad to say that Arthur Hill
              (who played Shelby, the nearest equivilent to Cam in the movie) passed
              away 22 Oct 2006.

              Plotwise, the movie reminds me a lot of "The Bullet" because the agent
              must retrieve a complex formula from a foreign country, then is faced
              with having to make a seemingly impossible escape.

              I've always liked to refer to "The Chairman" as the unofficial first
              pilot for "Search," the same way I've always referred to "Forbidden
              Planet" as the unofficial first pilot for "Star Trek." :-)

              IMDb on "The Chairman":
              imdb.com/title/tt0064148/

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 2, 2007
                Hello Jim Don and ALL,

                Thought I would drop in and let all know that after careful
                consideration I have decided to part with a Scanner and Neck Chain
                Attachment that I intended on keeping for myself.

                Sorry but it will Not include a chain do to the fact that the chains
                I did have were included with the previous Scanners.

                It will include the engraved back - plate "SEARCH 1972 -2007 35 YRS"

                I will list it when I can, there are some health problems in the
                family. I will keep the Probecontrol board informed.

                Thanks,

                Have A Great Day ALL.

                Mike
                kc8nqa

                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Alexander"

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Thanks for letting us know, Mike! My best wishes to your family members in ill health. You've been very successful in getting very good prices for your past scanners, and I hope you do as well with THIS one! Thanks for letting the group know.

                  <probecontrol@...> wrote:

                  > Anyone who's interested... DEEP DISCOUNT has a widescreen THE
                  CHAIRMAN for $14.64 with free shipping:

                  > http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=5746220
                  >
                  > It doesn't mention 'Extras' though. Hmmmmmmm.
                  >
                  > Thanks--
                  >
                  > Jim Alexander

                • Mike
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 3, 2007
                    Hello Jim, ALL,

                    Thank you Jim for the best wishes - it is my mom the is not doing well.
                    We are all hopeing for her recovery so we can have here back home soon.
                    It has been hard on us all these last few days.

                    Anyway, I did indeed list that Scanner if anyone is interested?

                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Prop-Hero-Scanner-Replica-Search-Series-1972_W0QQite\
                    mZ180092378749QQihZ008QQcategoryZ155QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIte\
                    <http://cgi.ebay.com/Prop-Hero-Scanner-Replica-Search-Series-1972_W0QQit\
                    emZ180092378749QQihZ008QQcategoryZ155QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewIt\
                    em>

                    Or of course, a Search for: Prop Hero Scanner.

                    I wanted to get it list earlier but just couldnt get around to it til
                    now.

                    I also put a plug in for the Probecontrol Board. [:)]

                    Thanks again Jim, ALL,

                    Mike

                    ------------------

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 25 11:24 AM
                      Hello everyone

                      At long last I�ve been able to watch �The
                      Chairman�. I have vague memories of the beginning but can�t remember why I
                      never saw it all the way through back in the early 70s. Presumably, I didn�t
                      have control of the TV set at the time.

                      I can understand the �Search� connection
                      now although do wonder how they rigged Hathaway for medical telemetry but I
                      suspect it was more to cover the ending when he couldn�t speak aloud.

                      There�s still a matter of a quandary of
                      how the device was powered but I guess they didn�t think of it back then.

                      Oh, I thought it was a good film even if
                      it could have done with a better name. Anyone listened to the audio commentary yet??

                    • secretconcierge
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 25 11:43 AM
                        Movie came out in 1969, & yes we was wired then for audio only.
                        Radical concept for Then But today doable.
                        Gensis for TV show Search??

                        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:

                        > Hello everyone
                        >

                        > At long last I've been able to watch `The
                        > Chairman'. I have vague memories of the beginning but can't remember why I
                        > never saw it all the way through back in the early 70s. Presumably, I didn't
                        > have control of the TV set at the time.
                        >

                        > I can understand the `Search' connection
                        > now although do wonder how they rigged Hathaway for medical telemetry but I
                        > suspect it was more to cover the ending when he couldn't speak aloud.
                        >

                        > There's still a matter of a quandary of
                        > how the device was powered but I guess they didn't think of it back then.
                        >

                        > Oh, I thought it was a good film even if
                        > it could have done with a better name. Anyone listened to the audio commentary yet??
                        >

                        > Geoff
                        >

                        > ********* GF Willmetts ****************************
                        > Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
                        > THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER
                        > Between 42-48 million hits a month!!!
                        >

                        > WE DON'T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-
                        >
                        > AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

                      • David Marks
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 25 2:24 PM
                          I always look for an excuse to chat about "The Chairman."  It was based on the book of the same title by J. Richard Kennedy.  This film was was one of those rare instances in which it surpassed the book.  The title wanted to make clear the threat that Red China's Chairman Mao Tse-tung posed to the free world.

                          I first saw "The Chairman" in December 1973 when I was beginning Christmas break in high school.  Our part of the States was beset with a blizzard.  My parents wanted to watch a Gregory Peck movie.  First, I quickly saw a thread of similarity to SEARCH by virtue of the Q-23 implant and the Operation Minotaur control center.  Second, there was the biochemistry and biophysics contributing to the plot.  The MacGuffin was a climate inhibiting enzyme which Gregory Peck must extract for the free world.  At the time I was learning much about biochemistry in school.  There were biochemical teasers at work for me.  Of course, there was the cybernetics at work for Operation Minotaur.  I loved the tense minutes as John Hathaway was making his escape from the PRC to the Mongolian border.  The mag tape Shelby and his British assistant had a skull-and-crossbones on the casing. They were playing it slowly in the thirty-second countdown for detonation.

                          Oh yes, I didn't recognize it in 1973 until I was able to rewatch "The Chairman" in 1980.  Ziena Merton plays the part of Hong Kong temptress Ting Ling.  This is a very different part for her prior to Sandra in "Space 1999."

                          Thank you for posting about "The Chairman."  I should think SEARCH owes much to this movies.

                               End Run,

                               David in MA

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 25 2:28 PM
                            I believe the book was written in 1966.  However, Kennedy did not offer an explanation on powering the device.  It was explained as classified to his version of John Hathaway.

                                 End Run,

                                 David in MA

                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 26 4:03 AM
                              Hello David

                              The problem with �The Chairman� as a title
                              is its too generic. It looks like a board of directors, even back in the 70s
                              (on TV not cinema by the way when I think I saw the opening). I think I would
                              have gone for a title more appropriate to Hathaway�s predicament for the film.
                              After all, it was also released under the title �The Most Dangerous Man In The
                              World� which is also vague. Who does it refer to: Hathaway or Mao?? Is there
                              any major differences between the book and film before I go after the former??

                              I saw a couple of the extras on the DVD yesterday
                              including a more explicit scene with Ziena Merton
                              which I presume was in the rest of the world cut?? Back in those days there
                              were very few oriental or oriental looking actresses, let alone actors, over
                              here and these three were the most regularly used. Eric Young appeared all over
                              the place, including �The Champions� pilot and the SF film �Invasion� where I
                              remembered him most from. Burnt Kwouk was already legendary.

                            • David Marks
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 26 10:30 AM
                                Greeting Geoff,

                                By the standards of the 1960s it was enough to say "Chairman" or "Chairman Mao" to
                                inspire shock and awe.  Mao Tse-tung or Mao Zedong was seen by many as a threat
                                to peace during that period especially after the split with the USSR.  President Lyndon
                                B. Johnson had a morbid dread for Red China and Chairman Mao.  The movie's title
                                was not as generic as you might think.  For many, the life and times of Mao Tse-tung
                                is legendary.  It has been known that the present Chinese leadership would ask Henry
                                Kissinger about Mao Tse-tung, Chou En-lai, and Deng Tsiao-Ping (I use the old standard
                                for the Chinese personages).

                                I myself read the Kennedy book about four years after I first saw the movie.  I found it
                                very wanting and tasteless in comparison to the movie.  First, there are significant
                                differences between the protagonists.  In the book John Hathaway is a young
                                academic impersonating the son of a magnate who is granted permission to visit
                                Red China and meet the Chairman.  The movie version made is easier for Hathaway
                                to be a biochemist with the knowlege to solve the problem and extract the McGuffin
                                to the free world.

                                It is a very different China after Mao Tse-tung.  The Bamboo Curtain had been
                                dismantled.

                                     End Run,

                                     David in MA

                                --- On Sun, 2/2

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 26 12:09 PM
                                  Hello David

                                  I was around back then don�t forget. I don�t
                                  think we Brits felt as intimidated by Mao as your lot were, probably because we
                                  were keeping an idea on the Soviet Union as well.

                                  From the sounds of things, the book was
                                  adapted to fit Gregory Peck.

                                  To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                                  From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

                                  To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 26 3:58 PM
                                    Greetings Geoff,

                                    Apologies.  I had mis-guesstimated you age.

                                    I don't believe Kennedy had Gregory Peck in mind.  His protagonist was
                                    much younger than the Gregory Peck character.  Further, there was not
                                    so great an emphasis on technology as there was in the movie.

                                         End Run,

                                         David in MA

                                          I was around back then don’t forget. I don’t
                                    think we Brits felt as intimidated by Mao as your lot were, probably because we
                                    were keeping an idea on the Soviet Union as well.

                                          From the sounds of things, the book was
                                    adapted to fit Gregory Peck.

                                    WE DON’T CHOOSE OUR RANK POSITIONS, OTHERS PUT US THERE:-

                                    To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com

                                    From: Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...>

                                    To: "chat search" <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>