'Enhanced Search'?

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 22, 2006
      Hi: I've been enjoying what I've been seeing lately with the
      CGI "Enhanced Star Trek" TOS episodes. Kudos to Mike Okuda and
      everyone else involved in the project.

      I like that they've remained true to the spirit of the original, yet
      at the same time tweaking some of the old effects thereby giving the
      shows more visual texture. One example was our first look at the
      castle in "Catspaw." In the original, we had a close angle on the
      castle door opening with fog effects all around.

      In the enhanced version, we still see the same shot of the door
      opening in fog, but the camera angle has pulled FAR back showing the
      structure of the ENTIRE castle along with some of the planet's
      surface, plus clouds in the sky overhead. Another neat and unexpected
      example is where they let the Gorn blink his eyes now and again
      in "Arena." Like wow!

      With this in mind, could a similar "CGI makeover approach" help to
      bring "Search" back as a TV Land-type rerun? What would we suggest
      either changing, enhancing, or updating in the way of SPFX? Or should
      everything be left alone?

      Myself, I NEVER would have thought that colorizing the first season
      of "Gilligan's Island" would have been worth doing, but it apparently
      eventually paid off for Ted Turner Enterprises and WTBS. So I guess
      anything is possible. :-)
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 22, 2006
        http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/probe_control/message/4191

        Having read Randy's post above, where he clears up what he meant by
        hokeyness, I can see that doing any kind of simple SPFX makeover will
        never do for Search.

        Star Trek TOS can be revisited with new FX because it has certain
        timeless qualities, despite the fact that aspects indicate the late
        1960's, such as hairstyles, mini-skirts, Klingons standing in for the
        VietCong, no women in command, etc.

        The problem with Search is what actor Peter Mark Richman mentioned to
        us a while back. The show is dated. The clothes, the haircuts, the
        big cars, the catch phrases of the time, women's lib being a new
        thing -- the whole nine yards. The Search reruns might play better
        on SpikeTV in connection with old James Bond movie marathons than
        anywhere else.

        I once mentioned that if Leslie Stevens were still with us, he would
        take his Search idea, apply it to 2006, but then project forward some
        25 years for his concept today.

        Unless you were there in 1972-73, you don't know what it meant to
        those of us who were following it. You truly had to be there. My
        nieces and nephews certainly see Search as something quaint and old-
        fashioned except for the 'advanced for its time' technology angle.