Re: 70s SFTV

  • probecontrol@sigecom.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 20, 2006
      There's a discussion of older genre shows that's just started
      on Yahoo's Science-Fiction 'Talk' list. I don't know whether
      I'd classify SEARCH as science-fiction necessarily, but it
      was great that Mr. Fergus (from the absolutely indispensible
      www.epguides.com) submitted it as the 1972's entry. ;)

      Jim Alexander
      =====================================

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 20, 2006
        Hello Jim

        Back in 1972 who would have thought that a TV camera could be so small or
        have hearing aid implants like that, so yeah, technically it would be SF.

        Then again, who would think we could clone sheep now??

        Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
        http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
        THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
        THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

        AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
        SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
        DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
        SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

        http://www.msn.co.uk/newsletters
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 20, 2006
          Geoff wrote:
          > Back in 1972 who would have thought that a TV camera could be so small or
          > have hearing aid implants like that, so yeah, technically it would be SF.
          ================
          I can't argue with that, Geoff. :)

          And that's what SF has been so successful at: Predicting the future so
          accurately so often.

          Jim
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 21, 2006
            Hello Jim

            Not entirely sure about SF predicting the future. It tends to extrapolate
            the present.
            I mean, nothing was really predicted about computers as they are today just
            mauraudering AIs dominating the world. Mind you, Search did get their uses
            pretty accurately, didn't it??

            If SF was correct and ignored financial restraint, then today would be an
            Arthur Clarke reality sans the monolith.

            Shame about faster than light travel let alone time travel. :-)

            Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
            http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
            THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
            THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

            AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
            http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
            SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
            http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
            DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
            http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
            SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
            http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

            Windows Live� Messenger has arrived. Click here to download it for free!