OFF TOPIC - So That's What Mike Has Been Doing!

  • Skip Brown
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
      Hey everyone.

      It's been a while since I have posted here. The recent news of Joseph
      Stephano's passing (co-producer with Leslie on "Outer Limits") was something
      I was going to post, but I see that Jim already got to that one. Of course,
      our prayers go to his family.

      On an off-topic, one of our list members Mike Okuda has been a busy little
      bee. I for one, am shocked that I didn't see it coming!

      It was announced yesterday, (or Thursday) that a redux version of the
      original Star Trek series is being distributed into syndication with all new
      CGI effects, HD quality transfer, and digital sound enhancements. I often
      thought that would be the next step in the Star Trek franchise, to
      re-release the series with broad enhancements, but I never knew they were
      actually doing it. (How did they keep it so secret?)

      I believe the first redux I ever encountered was Speilberg's first
      re-release of Close Encounters, with the new scenes and new special effects.
      Of course, Lucasfilm did the same with Star Wars, and later in the
      Director's series, Paramount revamped a few of the Star Trek movies, but how
      long has this enhanced Star Trek series been in the works?

      I am both shocked and pleased! I can't wait until September 16, to see it!
      Anyone know where to find out what stations will be broadcasting it? CBS is
      distributing it for weekend exposure, but I don't have any further
      information. Anyone?

      Anyway, if its not out of place, I want to pass on my regards to Mike Okuda
      and his staff, and let him know, as a fan of the ST:TOS, it's a pleasant
      surprise to hear about their work. I am anticipating the series, and later
      the new DVDs, or Blu-Ray discs that are sure to be produced. (Mike, will you
      and your wife do commentary on that? Is it too early to say?)

      Have a good one!

      Skip Brown

      Skipster61@...

    • actingman6@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
        I am more curious to know if they are going to do restoration on the rest of
        the footage...never mind the special effects.

        I have the latest TOS by season DVD releases, and I was shocked at the
        condition of the episodes...especially in the first season. The amount of
        frame damage was very disturbing.

        It will be interesting to see the quality of the prints when the first
        season of Mission Impossible comes out...to see if it had anything to do
        with both shows being done at an income strapped studio...or if the Trek
        masters were neglected by Paramount when they bought out Desilu (until they
        realized what they had on their hands.)

        Seeing the breath-taking clarity and quality of the Time Tunnel masterings
        on DVD (done at the same time as first season Trek) has given me much to
        wonder about the condition of the Trek materials.

        And BTW...what is the value of new special effects if, in order to get them
        aired...they end up cutting out scenes for more commercial time in today's
        syndication market?

        On 9/2/06, Skip Brown <skipster61@...> wrote:

        > Hey everyone.
        >
        > It's been a while since I have posted here. The recent news of Joseph
        > Stephano's passing (co-producer with Leslie on "Outer Limits") was
        > something
        > I was going to post, but I see that Jim already got to that one. Of
        > course,
        > our prayers go to his family.
        >
        > On an off-topic, one of our list members Mike Okuda has been a busy little
        > bee. I for one, am shocked that I didn't see it coming!
        >
        > It was announced yesterday, (or Thursday) that a redux version of the
        > original Star Trek series is being distributed into syndication with all
        > new
        > CGI effects, HD quality transfer, and digital sound enhancements. I often
        > thought that would be the next step in the Star Trek franchise, to
        > re-release the series with broad enhancements, but I never knew they were
        > actually doing it. (How did they keep it so secret?)
        >
        > I believe the first redux I ever encountered was Speilberg's first
        > re-release of Close Encounters, with the new scenes and new special
        > effects.
        > Of course, Lucasfilm did the same with Star Wars, and later in the
        > Director's series, Paramount revamped a few of the Star Trek movies, but
        > how
        > long has this enhanced Star Trek series been in the works?
        >
        > I am both shocked and pleased! I can't wait until September 16, to see it!
        > Anyone know where to find out what stations will be broadcasting it? CBS
        > is
        > distributing it for weekend exposure, but I don't have any further
        > information. Anyone?
        >
        > Anyway, if its not out of place, I want to pass on my regards to Mike
        > Okuda
        > and his staff, and let him know, as a fan of the ST:TOS, it's a pleasant
        > surprise to hear about their work. I am anticipating the series, and later
        > the new DVDs, or Blu-Ray discs that are sure to be produced. (Mike, will
        > you
        > and your wife do commentary on that? Is it too early to say?)
        >
        > Have a good one!
        >
        > Skip Brown
        >
        > Skipster61@... <Skipster61%40gmail.com>

      • Richard D. Perez
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
          It is my understanding they will use the 'syndication' prints, which
          were recut by Par and mastered to videotape some time ago.

          TV Land is the latest cable network to get TOS, but no mention was made
          about the digital remakes.

          Personally, I don't like the fact that they can now go back and screw
          with a show just because a younger generation expects more out of sci-fi
          special effects. This same idiot mentality is what keeps great black and
          white series off TV today.

          This generation is missing out on great character-driven programs like
          "Route 66" and "The Fugitive" just because they weren't shot in color
          (and before you jump on me, I know the last season of The Fugitive was
          in color).

          I say, leave TOS alone. Remaster the prints, yes. Update the effects,
          no. Let the show stand as a testament to the ear in which it was produced.

          Richard D. Perez

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
              Hello everyone

              Re: Original series Star Trek. It wouldn't surprise me if they were
              changing the effects to match the new film, even if I think it is a dumb
              idea to do another retrograde series (although it could be a smokescreen).
              After all, using younger versions of Kirk and co means no surprises on their
              mortality.

              On a broader issue, you guys have made me stop in my tracks about buying
              the ST:TOS as the prices come down to replace my TV recorded tapes. Does
              anyone actually know if the earlier DVD releases are superior or not?? A
              look on the price comparison website I use shows Region One covers not
              similar to our own. Doesn�t always follows the contents are different but
              think Rockford.

              Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
              http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
              THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
              THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

              AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
              SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
              DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
              SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

            • actingman6@gmail.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 4, 2006
                Here is a site that reviews the first season box set, and one of the earlier
                two episode per package dvd release:

                http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/startrektosseason1.php

                http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/startrektos67.php

                On 9/4/06, Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:

                > Hello everyone
                >

                > On a broader issue, you guys have made me stop in my tracks about
                > buying
                > the ST:TOS as the prices come down to replace my TV recorded tapes. Does
                > anyone actually know if the earlier DVD releases are superior or not?? A
                > look on the price comparison website I use shows Region One covers not
                > similar to our own. Doesn't always follows the contents are different but
                > think Rockford.

              • Skip Brown
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 24, 2006
                  I finally got to see the first of the new Star Trek "enhanced" episodes, via
                  torrent download. I tried to record the program with my ATI HD All In
                  Wonder Card in order to see it in HD, but the recording failed. As a backup
                  I tried to record it with my VCR, but recorded the wrong channel! I have
                  been searching for a torrent for a week, just to see this episode, and
                  finally found one. I must say, even though I have seen the "Balance of
                  Terror" many times before (in reruns) I am very impressed with the
                  enhancements.

                  For all the skeptics and extreme purists out there, the "changes" to the
                  episode are minimal - some digital art on ship externals, star effects
                  (with less film flicker), more realistic phasers, and plasma explosions,
                  plus improved stereo field sound. The enhancements were not like George
                  Lucas' revisions of the Star Wars movies. Yet, the overall effect is very
                  good.

                  What impressed me the most about the enhancements, were the depth, and color
                  of the bridge scenes. The contrast and tones, even with the special key
                  lighting, were vivid and dramatic. The digital work brought out textures
                  that were missing in many of the scenes. If these elements can be applied
                  to other series of that era, we might be seeing a whole new audience for the
                  shows we grew up with.

                  I know I "cheated" this time around, by downloading a torrent, but if you
                  get a chance to see the enhanced series, do so. Support the sponsors, and
                  let CBS/Paramount know that you appreciate their efforts. In fact, if you
                  want to buy the Star Trek (The Original Series) on DVD, wait for a while,
                  and get the enhanced version. You'll be impressed.

                  Thanks again to Mike Okuda, and all the others who worked on the
                  enhancements as a labor of love. It really shows!