Re: [probe_control] Re: SEARCH novelisations

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 22, 2006
      Hello Carrie, Jim and everyone

      Shall I start the pot rolling? How does one define a bad performance? From
      what we understand now, Burgess Meredith is said to have been able to
      telephone his part in and yet he was spectacular considering he was talking
      to an empty screen. That is pretty common these days, 'Stargate' being a
      prime example, but rarer in 1972 outside of 'Star Trek'.

      As to the Probes being different. It stops them coming out of the same
      mould and interchangeable plots. Hopefully, Grover put into a Lockwood plot
      wouldn't necessarily come up with the same way to the solution. I mean, in
      'Flight To Nowhere', do you think Grover would have attempted to dive into
      the pool from the building rather than crash through a window like Lockwood
      did. Both would still be interesting but show a different approach. Before
      anyone asks what Bianco would do, I suspect he'd have duked it out with them
      and barely get out the stairway. :-)

      Has anyone attempted to locate and contact Russ Mayberry by the way??

      Gotta go

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
      SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 22, 2006

        Our polls section has a number of ongoing polls. An initial summary
        would say that the earlier SEARCH episodes and the pilot movie were
        among the better-liked episodes.

        The favorite Probe Agent up to now has been Lockwood, however Bianco
        and Grover are currently tied. The favorite episode so far is the
        PROBE pilot, followed by "Moonrock."

        The favorite villain so far is tied between Sir John Gielgud and Bill
        Bixby, with Edward Mulhare the runner-up.

        The favorite Probe Control set is a 100 per cent vote so far for the
        dark airplane cockpit look of the pilot and first 15 episodes. No
        votes for the later bright office look.

        The last poll question is a hypothetical based on if a Search movie
        were to appear on the big screen, and the results are hidden until
        that poll is closed.

        We've had discussions on nearly all of the episodes, and most seem to
        agree that the mid-season changes did not help the Search series very
        much. Although some of those last eight were still pretty good
        shows, they also tended to seem dull in comparison with the earlier
        episodes. For me, I didn't see why they couldn't have kept on with
        the momentum they had going with the first 15 episodes.

        They could have always worked in "gritty crime stories" with the
        more "lighthearted romantic caper" approach of the earlier episodes.
        I didn't see why the series had to be all the way one way or the
        other, I think they could have done both without the massive mid-
        season changes they did, which probably only served to turn off the
        viewers that had followed the series up to that point.
      • Carrie Huebner
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 23, 2006
          I haven't had a chance to watch any more eps recently, so I still haven't seen any more Grover eps, and have only seen two Bianco eps. I liked the first one better than the second...Iceman, I believe it was called. I just thought there were too many plot holes in that one. Also, perhaps it's clarified in later eps, but doesn't it seem like in Bianco's first ep, when he's givin' it to that guy in the bar, that he made it sound as if he was a rather new Probe? Then in Iceman, he's supposed have been a Probe for quite awhile. The thing I did like about Iceman, though, was the use of the other Probes....who woulda guessed that Bob's wife moonlighted as a Probe, huh?

          It's interesting that you said your favorite ep was Short Circuit. I had three scripts, one from each Probe, and Short Circuit is the Grover one. Let Us Prey is the Bianco one, and I can't remember what the Lockwood one was, and I can't find it, either. It's possible my brother has that one, or it could have been lost years ago when we moved and I had an entire box of stuff stolen on the moving van. It could be that I need to rewatch Short Circuit, however, as of all the eps I have watched so far, that's the one I was interrupted the most during. Just one of those nights when the phone kept ringing and Arion (the youngest) got an owie, and hubby couldn't find the checkbook....

          So, I guess there are no big favorite eps, directors, scenes, etc, huh? I especially enjoy 'perfect scenes.' You know, where you have no uncontrollable urge to smack writers upside the head, or yell at directors, or send actors into their dressing rooms. LOL I think I am a frustrated writer/director at heart, and can be very critical, but when I find a scene that's perfect, I literally get goose bumps. There are a few of those over at the other show I moderate, and I love to just go watch those scenes by themselves. Great work.

          Off topic here, but when Stargate was mentioned, it made me think of the SciFi's channel new show coming up based on Jim Butcher's books, The Dresden Files. Just wondered if any one had read them.

          Gotta go get child #3 picked up from his first day at high school... first full day at school ever, actually.

          Carrie

        • kansasguy_66213
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
            Brand new here. Where are people getting to watch the episodes from?
            I am dying to see this show. I thought i was the only one who
            remembered it until I found this group! Can I buy them? Do they still
            exist in film?

            --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Carrie Huebner
            <chbuttercup@...> wrote:

            > I've been having fun watching some of the old eps, and have a
            question. Just out of curiosity, what has been your groups opinion
            on the best written/directed/acted episodes? We get asked this over
            at Lancer about every other month or so, and do the big debate all
            over again. Some of us old-timers roll our eyes, but I always try to
            find something new to bring up, as I realize it's important for the
            newbies. So, if you could be so kind as to delve into some of the
            pros and cons of the show for this Probe newbie, I'd love to join
            in. Personally, I find I still really enjoy Lockwood. I remember,
            for some reason, liking him the best as a kid, and still seem to
            today. Perhaps it was simply because he was the 'original' probe in
            the pilot. I've seen a couple Bianco eps and have enjoyed him, too,
            though the last ep I watched seemed to have more holes in it than
            usual. I've seen one Grover ep, and found that I still don't seem to
            like him as much as the other two, but as I
            > said, I've only seen one.
            >
            > Carrie

          • Mike
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 28, 2006
              Hello kansasguy,

              Welcome to the Probe_Control Group.

              I was really glad when I found this group, as I also thought I was
              the only one who remembered SEARCH.

              Make sure you check out the Files, Photos, Links, etc., a lot of
              good stuff, there is also a couple of interviews, one with Hugh O
              Brian and one with John C. Strong. Excellent reading.

              Good Day To ALL! :)
              Mike S.

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "kansasguy_66213"
              <kansasguy_66213@...> wrote:

              > Brand new here. Where are people getting to watch the episodes
              from?
              > I am dying to see this show. I thought i was the only one who
              > remembered it until I found this group! Can I buy them? Do they
              still
              > exist in film?
            • STEPHEN RUSELL
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 28, 2006
                Im in the same boat NO DVDs.
                DVDs of other shows: Miami Vice, A Team etc
                BUT No Search.
                & even no 6MDM Yet.
                Or BW.
                Damn.
                Rockford Files Yes.

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 29, 2006
                  Hello Stephen R

                  Dunno if it'll happen both sides of the pond but season 2s of both The Six
                  Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman are due out end of October.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Hello Jim, ALL,

                    Anyone intersted in some nice shots of the Scanner from the Pilot,
                    (seems like those have always been the cleanest and closest shots?)

                    I put a couple more pics in the Photos Prop Screen Grabs and put
                    them in order. It makes for a descent Slide Show. :)

                    Have A Great Day.

                    --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Willmetts"

                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                      Thanks for the screen grabs, Mike!