Re: SEARCH questions

  • Carrie Huebner
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 20, 2006
      I've been having fun watching some of the old eps, and have a question. Just out of curiosity, what has been your groups opinion on the best written/directed/acted episodes? We get asked this over at Lancer about every other month or so, and do the big debate all over again. Some of us old-timers roll our eyes, but I always try to find something new to bring up, as I realize it's important for the newbies. So, if you could be so kind as to delve into some of the pros and cons of the show for this Probe newbie, I'd love to join in. Personally, I find I still really enjoy Lockwood. I remember, for some reason, liking him the best as a kid, and still seem to today. Perhaps it was simply because he was the 'original' probe in the pilot. I've seen a couple Bianco eps and have enjoyed him, too, though the last ep I watched seemed to have more holes in it than usual. I've seen one Grover ep, and found that I still don't seem to like him as much as the other two, but as I
      said, I've only seen one.

      Carrie

    • probecontrol@sigecom.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 21, 2006
        > I've been having fun watching some of the old eps,
        > and have a question. Just out of curiosity, what has
        > been your groups opinion on the best
        > written/directed/acted episodes?
        ================
        I'm not 100% sure we've tackled that specific question, have
        we? An interesting line of thought.

        I'm sure everyone has their favorite episode(s)--and for
        different reasons. I think that due to the fact that SEARCH
        had some great guest stars (Capucine, Malachi Throne, Jeff
        Corey, Maurice Evans, Stephanie Powers, Jo Ann Pflug, Howard
        Duff, Anne Francis, and on and on and on), the thespianic
        standard is set very high. I wonder if there's a sub-par
        performance during the course of the entire series?

        As far as directors go--did any of the series directors have
        a better 'feel' for the material better than any other
        (perhaps Russell Mayberry--seeing as he directed the pilot TV
        Movie)?

        One thing you'll notice in the latter episodes, Carrie--the
        show was 'ordered' to shift toward slightly darker, more
        conventional crime-drama with less of an emphasis on Probe
        Control (if you can believe that--it's what SOLD the
        series!). Not to mention that actual Probe Control set going
        through a massive re-do!
        =================
        > Personally, I
        > find I still really enjoy Lockwood. I remember, for
        > some reason, liking him the best as a kid, and still
        > seem to today. Perhaps it was simply because he was
        > the 'original' probe in the pilot. I've seen a
        > couple Bianco eps and have enjoyed him, too, though
        > the last ep I watched seemed to have more holes in
        > it than usual. I've seen one Grover ep, and found
        > that I still don't seem to like him as much as the
        > other two, but as I said, I've only seen one.
        ==================
        I'm guessing the only GROVER episode you've seen is 'Short
        Circuit' (McClure's first episode), and it might just be my
        favorite episode of the series. ;)

        Even when I watched the show as a kid, I always wondered why
        World Securities would have hired this younger, less-
        experienced operative. When you stack up Grover against the
        more seasoned, self-assured Bianco and Lockwood... he *seems*
        lacking in certain ways. But--if one has read the SEARCH
        series press release (available on the website), it brings
        into focus the fact that Leslie Stevens was trying to do
        something a little different with the Grover character. He's
        certainly likeable as a character (and actor), but I can see
        why he might not fit the expected mold with some people.

        Any thoughts YOU might have upon seeing the series again
        after so many years, Carrie--are certainly welcome. Your
        opinions are just as valuable as the rest of the
        group's! :) Don't hesitate to let us know what YOU think.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 21, 2006
          Hello Brooks

          You might get a cheaper deal if you link in:-

          http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?wtit=search%2E%20%2D&wtit1=search&wauth=Weverka%2C%20Robert&wauth1=weverkas&browse=0&spell=1&cm_re=search*0results*did_you

          Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
          http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
          THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
          THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

          AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
          SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
          DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
          SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

        • Brooks Cook
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 22, 2006
            On Aug 21, 2006, at 6:28 PM, Geoff Willmetts wrote:

            > Hello Brooks
            >
            > You might get a cheaper deal if you link in:-
            >
            > http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?wtit=search%2E%20%
            > 2D&wtit1=search&wauth=Weverka%2C%
            > 20Robert&wauth1=weverkas&browse=0&spell=1&cm_re=search*0results*did_yo

            Man!

            How cool is it to have friends like we have on the Search Forum!?
            THANKS Geoff!

            And you're 100% right, too!

            :)

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 22, 2006
              Hello Carrie, Jim and everyone

              Shall I start the pot rolling? How does one define a bad performance? From
              what we understand now, Burgess Meredith is said to have been able to
              telephone his part in and yet he was spectacular considering he was talking
              to an empty screen. That is pretty common these days, 'Stargate' being a
              prime example, but rarer in 1972 outside of 'Star Trek'.

              As to the Probes being different. It stops them coming out of the same
              mould and interchangeable plots. Hopefully, Grover put into a Lockwood plot
              wouldn't necessarily come up with the same way to the solution. I mean, in
              'Flight To Nowhere', do you think Grover would have attempted to dive into
              the pool from the building rather than crash through a window like Lockwood
              did. Both would still be interesting but show a different approach. Before
              anyone asks what Bianco would do, I suspect he'd have duked it out with them
              and barely get out the stairway. :-)

              Has anyone attempted to locate and contact Russ Mayberry by the way??

              Gotta go

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 22, 2006

                Our polls section has a number of ongoing polls. An initial summary
                would say that the earlier SEARCH episodes and the pilot movie were
                among the better-liked episodes.

                The favorite Probe Agent up to now has been Lockwood, however Bianco
                and Grover are currently tied. The favorite episode so far is the
                PROBE pilot, followed by "Moonrock."

                The favorite villain so far is tied between Sir John Gielgud and Bill
                Bixby, with Edward Mulhare the runner-up.

                The favorite Probe Control set is a 100 per cent vote so far for the
                dark airplane cockpit look of the pilot and first 15 episodes. No
                votes for the later bright office look.

                The last poll question is a hypothetical based on if a Search movie
                were to appear on the big screen, and the results are hidden until
                that poll is closed.

                We've had discussions on nearly all of the episodes, and most seem to
                agree that the mid-season changes did not help the Search series very
                much. Although some of those last eight were still pretty good
                shows, they also tended to seem dull in comparison with the earlier
                episodes. For me, I didn't see why they couldn't have kept on with
                the momentum they had going with the first 15 episodes.

                They could have always worked in "gritty crime stories" with the
                more "lighthearted romantic caper" approach of the earlier episodes.
                I didn't see why the series had to be all the way one way or the
                other, I think they could have done both without the massive mid-
                season changes they did, which probably only served to turn off the
                viewers that had followed the series up to that point.
              • Carrie Huebner
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 23, 2006
                  I haven't had a chance to watch any more eps recently, so I still haven't seen any more Grover eps, and have only seen two Bianco eps. I liked the first one better than the second...Iceman, I believe it was called. I just thought there were too many plot holes in that one. Also, perhaps it's clarified in later eps, but doesn't it seem like in Bianco's first ep, when he's givin' it to that guy in the bar, that he made it sound as if he was a rather new Probe? Then in Iceman, he's supposed have been a Probe for quite awhile. The thing I did like about Iceman, though, was the use of the other Probes....who woulda guessed that Bob's wife moonlighted as a Probe, huh?

                  It's interesting that you said your favorite ep was Short Circuit. I had three scripts, one from each Probe, and Short Circuit is the Grover one. Let Us Prey is the Bianco one, and I can't remember what the Lockwood one was, and I can't find it, either. It's possible my brother has that one, or it could have been lost years ago when we moved and I had an entire box of stuff stolen on the moving van. It could be that I need to rewatch Short Circuit, however, as of all the eps I have watched so far, that's the one I was interrupted the most during. Just one of those nights when the phone kept ringing and Arion (the youngest) got an owie, and hubby couldn't find the checkbook....

                  So, I guess there are no big favorite eps, directors, scenes, etc, huh? I especially enjoy 'perfect scenes.' You know, where you have no uncontrollable urge to smack writers upside the head, or yell at directors, or send actors into their dressing rooms. LOL I think I am a frustrated writer/director at heart, and can be very critical, but when I find a scene that's perfect, I literally get goose bumps. There are a few of those over at the other show I moderate, and I love to just go watch those scenes by themselves. Great work.

                  Off topic here, but when Stargate was mentioned, it made me think of the SciFi's channel new show coming up based on Jim Butcher's books, The Dresden Files. Just wondered if any one had read them.

                  Gotta go get child #3 picked up from his first day at high school... first full day at school ever, actually.

                  Carrie

                • kansasguy_66213
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 27, 2006
                    Brand new here. Where are people getting to watch the episodes from?
                    I am dying to see this show. I thought i was the only one who
                    remembered it until I found this group! Can I buy them? Do they still
                    exist in film?

                    --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, Carrie Huebner
                    <chbuttercup@...> wrote:

                    > I've been having fun watching some of the old eps, and have a
                    question. Just out of curiosity, what has been your groups opinion
                    on the best written/directed/acted episodes? We get asked this over
                    at Lancer about every other month or so, and do the big debate all
                    over again. Some of us old-timers roll our eyes, but I always try to
                    find something new to bring up, as I realize it's important for the
                    newbies. So, if you could be so kind as to delve into some of the
                    pros and cons of the show for this Probe newbie, I'd love to join
                    in. Personally, I find I still really enjoy Lockwood. I remember,
                    for some reason, liking him the best as a kid, and still seem to
                    today. Perhaps it was simply because he was the 'original' probe in
                    the pilot. I've seen a couple Bianco eps and have enjoyed him, too,
                    though the last ep I watched seemed to have more holes in it than
                    usual. I've seen one Grover ep, and found that I still don't seem to
                    like him as much as the other two, but as I
                    > said, I've only seen one.
                    >
                    > Carrie

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 28, 2006
                      Hello kansasguy,

                      Welcome to the Probe_Control Group.

                      I was really glad when I found this group, as I also thought I was
                      the only one who remembered SEARCH.

                      Make sure you check out the Files, Photos, Links, etc., a lot of
                      good stuff, there is also a couple of interviews, one with Hugh O
                      Brian and one with John C. Strong. Excellent reading.

                      Good Day To ALL! :)
                      Mike S.

                      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "kansasguy_66213"
                      <kansasguy_66213@...> wrote:

                      > Brand new here. Where are people getting to watch the episodes
                      from?
                      > I am dying to see this show. I thought i was the only one who
                      > remembered it until I found this group! Can I buy them? Do they
                      still
                      > exist in film?
                    • STEPHEN RUSELL
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 28, 2006
                        Im in the same boat NO DVDs.
                        DVDs of other shows: Miami Vice, A Team etc
                        BUT No Search.
                        & even no 6MDM Yet.
                        Or BW.
                        Damn.
                        Rockford Files Yes.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 29, 2006
                          Hello Stephen R

                          Dunno if it'll happen both sides of the pond but season 2s of both The Six
                          Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman are due out end of October.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
                            Hello Jim, ALL,

                            Anyone intersted in some nice shots of the Scanner from the Pilot,
                            (seems like those have always been the cleanest and closest shots?)

                            I put a couple more pics in the Photos Prop Screen Grabs and put
                            them in order. It makes for a descent Slide Show. :)

                            Have A Great Day.

                            --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Willmetts"

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 2, 2006
                              Thanks for the screen grabs, Mike!