RE: [probe_control] 1972-1973 season reviewed on TV PARTY!

  • Marta Dawes
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
      Re-Correction:

      The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
      hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
      speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
      writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
      this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG episodes
      as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
      all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.

      I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
      four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
      which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
      book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
      coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
      were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
      shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.

      Marta

      http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

      All we are saying...
      is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon

      May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
      McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
        Interesting. WLVI here in Boston ran hourlong versions.

        Marta Dawes wrote:

        > Re-Correction:
        >
        > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
        > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
        > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
        > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
        > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
        > episodes
        > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
        > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
        >
        > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
        > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
        > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
        > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
        > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
        > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
        > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.
        >
        > Marta
        >
        > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
        > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
        >
        > All we are saying...
        > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
        >
        > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
        > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

      • Marta Dawes
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
          If the station showed the hour-long "Sixth Sense" episodes with a Serling
          intro, it had to be something put together by the station itself. How long
          ago was this? To my knowledge those hour-long "SS" episodes have never been
          shown since their original run.

          Marta Dawes wrote:

          > Re-Correction:
          >
          > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
          > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
          > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
          > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
          > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
          > episodes
          > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
          > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
          >
          > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
          > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
          > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
          > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
          > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
          > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
          > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.
          >
          > Marta
          >
          > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
          > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
          >
          > All we are saying...
          > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
          >
          > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
          > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

        • Skip Brown
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
            I vaguely remember Banyon, so I can't comment much about it. But "Sixth
            Sense" is another story. I remember, at 11 years(?) old it scared the heck
            out of me. It's pilot started as an episode of "Night Gallery", didn't it?

            While we are talking about anthologies, anyone remember the "Night Gallery"
            knock off called "Ghost Story" hosted by Family Affair's "Mr. French"
            (Sebastian Cabot)? There is another show that scared me! I suppose if I saw
            them now, I would laugh.

            Other TV Movies that scared me during that era:
            "Something Evil" Speilberg directed this chiller about a family on a farm,
            where the devil comes to stay.
            "Black Noon" Roy Thinnes is a preacher in a western town named "San Melas"
            terrorized by a devil cult
            "The Eyes Of Charles Sand" Another pilot movie about a man who uses his
            supernatural "sight" to solve crimes.

            Ooooo... Scary..... brrrrrrrr.

            Skip

            On 7/15/06, Richard D. Perez <richardperez@...> wrote:

            > Interesting. WLVI here in Boston ran hourlong versions.
            >

            > Marta Dawes wrote:
            > >
            > > Re-Correction:
            > >
            > > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from
            > an
            > > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
            > > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
            > > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who
            > did
            > > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
            > > episodes
            > > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They
            > were
            > > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
            > >
            > > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the
            > past
            > > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
            > > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of
            > the
            > > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will
            > be
            > > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
            > > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
            > > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's
            > fault.
            > >
            > > Marta
            > >
            > > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
            > > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
            > >
            > > All we are saying...
            > > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
            > >
            > > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big
            > Jim
            > > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

          • Richard D. Perez
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
              Early 80s.

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, dmanmetz@... wrote:
                > ...they did add the
                > beginning teaser and opening title of the Gold Machine. COOL! Did
                > you provide them with that Don?
                > _http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html_
                > (http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html)

                Hi Chris: Thanks for the info on TV Party and the link. I knew that
                Billy Ingram was doing a retro look at 1972 and wondered if he would
                mention Search. Well, he gave the show special mention, which is
                great and hopefully will draw more members to our list. I did send
                Billy a VHS with three episodes on it, and Gold Machine was one of
                them.

                On the comparison to '24,' I wish Billy had put it more this
                way: "Think of SEARCH as being the analog predecessor to the
                digital '24.'"

                I was going to put together and send to Billy an update article based
                on some of the new information Jim was able to get from John Strong,
                and from other sources. But I was holding off because I thought Jim
                said he was going to try for a follow up with Mr. Strong. Jim, let
                us know if that is something we should be looking out for, okay? :-)

                Thanks also to Actingman for posting those TV Guide scans. Brings
                back lots of memories. I still have a few old TV Guides from the
                1960's and 70's, some in better condition than others. I might fill
                a disc with scans, slanted toward genre show listings, and send them
                to you one of these days...

                ---Don
              • Morningstar
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                  While "The Twilight Zone" was the best of the series, I enjoyed both
                  "Night Gallery" and "The Sixth Sense." I think that I liked "the Sixth
                  Sense" more than "Night Gallery." SS just came across as less scare
                  and more intellectual, more science fiction than horror.

                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Marta Dawes" <marta@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The
                  Sixth Sense"
                  > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert
                  Forster.
                  > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
                  > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season
                  preview TV
                  > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they
                  did with
                  > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
                  > this day.
                  >
                  > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since
                  that
                  > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode
                  renamed some
                  > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery"
                  syndication
                  > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune,
                  probably
                  > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
                  > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
                  > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to
                  see those
                  > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend
                  loved Gary
                  > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
                  >
                  > Marta
                  >
                  > http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention
                  page!

                  > All we are saying...
                  > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                  >
                  > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! -
                  Big Jim
                  > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                • Morningstar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                    Bummer about the other seasons of "Night Gallery." I bought the first
                    season and hoped for more.