Re: [probe_control] 1972-1973 season reviewed on TV PARTY!

  • Richard D. Perez
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
      Correction:

      THE SIXTH SENSE was never recut. The hourlong episodes were simply
      're-wrapped' by Serling and added to the NIGHT GALLERY package. It will
      be interesting to see if these episodes come out on DVD as part of the
      NIGHT GALLERY releases.

      BTW, will the fellow who wanted to trade for SEARCH episodes with me
      please contact ME?

      Marta Dawes wrote:

      > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The Sixth
      > Sense"
      > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert Forster.
      > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
      > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season preview TV
      > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they did
      > with
      > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
      > this day.
      >
      > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since that
      > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode renamed
      > some
      > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery" syndication
      > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune, probably
      > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
      > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
      > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to see
      > those
      > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend loved Gary
      > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
      >
      > Marta
      >
      > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
      > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
      >
      > All we are saying...
      > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
      >
      > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
      > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

    • Marta Dawes
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
        Re-Correction:

        The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
        hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
        speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
        writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
        this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG episodes
        as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
        all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.

        I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
        four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
        which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
        book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
        coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
        were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
        shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.

        Marta

        Marta Dawes wrote:

        > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The Sixth
        > Sense"
        > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert Forster.
        > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
        > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season preview TV
        > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they did
        > with
        > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
        > this day.
        >
        > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since that
        > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode renamed
        > some
        > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery" syndication
        > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune, probably
        > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
        > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
        > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to see
        > those
        > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend loved Gary
        > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
        >
        > Marta
        >
        > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
        > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
        >
        > All we are saying...
        > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
        >
        > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
        > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

      • Richard D. Perez
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
          Interesting. WLVI here in Boston ran hourlong versions.

          Marta Dawes wrote:

          > Re-Correction:
          >
          > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
          > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
          > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
          > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
          > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
          > episodes
          > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
          > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
          >
          > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
          > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
          > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
          > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
          > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
          > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
          > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.
          >
          > Marta
          >
          > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
          > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
          >
          > All we are saying...
          > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
          >
          > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
          > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

        • Marta Dawes
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
            If the station showed the hour-long "Sixth Sense" episodes with a Serling
            intro, it had to be something put together by the station itself. How long
            ago was this? To my knowledge those hour-long "SS" episodes have never been
            shown since their original run.

            Marta

            Marta Dawes wrote:

            > Re-Correction:
            >
            > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
            > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
            > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
            > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
            > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
            > episodes
            > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
            > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
            >
            > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
            > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
            > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
            > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
            > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
            > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
            > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.
            >
            > Marta
            >
            > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
            > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
            >
            > All we are saying...
            > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
            >
            > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
            > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

          • Skip Brown
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
              I vaguely remember Banyon, so I can't comment much about it. But "Sixth
              Sense" is another story. I remember, at 11 years(?) old it scared the heck
              out of me. It's pilot started as an episode of "Night Gallery", didn't it?

              While we are talking about anthologies, anyone remember the "Night Gallery"
              knock off called "Ghost Story" hosted by Family Affair's "Mr. French"
              (Sebastian Cabot)? There is another show that scared me! I suppose if I saw
              them now, I would laugh.

              Other TV Movies that scared me during that era:
              "Something Evil" Speilberg directed this chiller about a family on a farm,
              where the devil comes to stay.
              "Black Noon" Roy Thinnes is a preacher in a western town named "San Melas"
              terrorized by a devil cult
              "The Eyes Of Charles Sand" Another pilot movie about a man who uses his
              supernatural "sight" to solve crimes.

              Ooooo... Scary..... brrrrrrrr.

              Skip

              On 7/15/06, Richard D. Perez <richardperez@...> wrote:

              > Interesting. WLVI here in Boston ran hourlong versions.
              >

              > Marta Dawes wrote:
              > >
              > > Re-Correction:
              > >
              > > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from
              > an
              > > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
              > > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
              > > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who
              > did
              > > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
              > > episodes
              > > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They
              > were
              > > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
              > >
              > > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the
              > past
              > > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
              > > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of
              > the
              > > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will
              > be
              > > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
              > > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
              > > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's
              > fault.
              > >
              > > Marta
              > >
              > > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
              > > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
              > >
              > > All we are saying...
              > > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
              > >
              > > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big
              > Jim
              > > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

            • Richard D. Perez
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                Early 80s.

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                  --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, dmanmetz@... wrote:
                  > ...they did add the
                  > beginning teaser and opening title of the Gold Machine. COOL! Did
                  > you provide them with that Don?
                  > _http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html_
                  > (http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html)

                  Hi Chris: Thanks for the info on TV Party and the link. I knew that
                  Billy Ingram was doing a retro look at 1972 and wondered if he would
                  mention Search. Well, he gave the show special mention, which is
                  great and hopefully will draw more members to our list. I did send
                  Billy a VHS with three episodes on it, and Gold Machine was one of
                  them.

                  On the comparison to '24,' I wish Billy had put it more this
                  way: "Think of SEARCH as being the analog predecessor to the
                  digital '24.'"

                  I was going to put together and send to Billy an update article based
                  on some of the new information Jim was able to get from John Strong,
                  and from other sources. But I was holding off because I thought Jim
                  said he was going to try for a follow up with Mr. Strong. Jim, let
                  us know if that is something we should be looking out for, okay? :-)

                  Thanks also to Actingman for posting those TV Guide scans. Brings
                  back lots of memories. I still have a few old TV Guides from the
                  1960's and 70's, some in better condition than others. I might fill
                  a disc with scans, slanted toward genre show listings, and send them
                  to you one of these days...

                  ---Don
                • Morningstar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                    While "The Twilight Zone" was the best of the series, I enjoyed both
                    "Night Gallery" and "The Sixth Sense." I think that I liked "the Sixth
                    Sense" more than "Night Gallery." SS just came across as less scare
                    and more intellectual, more science fiction than horror.

                    --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Marta Dawes" <marta@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The
                    Sixth Sense"
                    > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert
                    Forster.
                    > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
                    > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season
                    preview TV
                    > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they
                    did with
                    > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
                    > this day.
                    >
                    > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since
                    that
                    > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode
                    renamed some
                    > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery"
                    syndication
                    > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune,
                    probably
                    > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
                    > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
                    > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to
                    see those
                    > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend
                    loved Gary
                    > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
                    >
                    > Marta
                    >
                    > http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention
                    page!

                    > All we are saying...
                    > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                    >
                    > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! -
                    Big Jim
                    > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                  • Morningstar
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                      Bummer about the other seasons of "Night Gallery." I bought the first
                      season and hoped for more.