1972-1973 season reviewed on TV PARTY!

  • dmanmetz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 14, 2006
      Hi gang, just wanted to let everyone know that TV PARTY! is looking back at
      the 1972-1973 TV season. Of course I wouldn't be writing this if they did not
      include Search. Search is one the program's profiled on the second page of
      the article. Most of the write up looks like a cut and paste job from the
      article Don Harden submitted about three years ago. However they did add the
      beginning teaser and opening title of the Gold Machine. COOL! Did you provide
      them with that Don?
      Somehow they managed to fine out what some of the other lower rated
      shows ranked for the season. Search may have lost the ratings war to Frank Cannon
      but Probe Control kicked the Julie Andrews Show butt! Her show was ranked
      number 61 for the Neilsens. The only other two shows less popular that year
      were The Sixth Sense and Banyon (remember that one?). I wonder what kind of
      damage Owen Marshall did to Search for the second part of the 1973 season when
      it was moved into the Julie Andrews time slot. I am already ahead of you
      though. I e-mailed the author, Billy Ingram and asked were Search was rated for
      that season. He said he did not have that information available to him.
      Like I said, a good interesting for TV buffs. Also, look for the cool
      advertisement for the Sixth Sense. Enjoy.

      Chris

      _http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html_
      (http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html)

    • Marta Dawes
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 14, 2006
        Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The Sixth Sense"
        and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert Forster.
        At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
        would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season preview TV
        Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they did with
        the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
        this day.

        "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since that
        original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode renamed some
        ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery" syndication
        package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune, probably
        the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
        superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
        remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to see those
        uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend loved Gary
        Collins, or I would never have seen the series.

        Marta

        http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

        All we are saying...
        is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon

        May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
        McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
          Correction:

          THE SIXTH SENSE was never recut. The hourlong episodes were simply
          're-wrapped' by Serling and added to the NIGHT GALLERY package. It will
          be interesting to see if these episodes come out on DVD as part of the
          NIGHT GALLERY releases.

          BTW, will the fellow who wanted to trade for SEARCH episodes with me
          please contact ME?

          Marta Dawes wrote:

          > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The Sixth
          > Sense"
          > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert Forster.
          > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
          > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season preview TV
          > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they did
          > with
          > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
          > this day.
          >
          > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since that
          > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode renamed
          > some
          > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery" syndication
          > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune, probably
          > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
          > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
          > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to see
          > those
          > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend loved Gary
          > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
          >
          > Marta
          >
          > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
          > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
          >
          > All we are saying...
          > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
          >
          > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
          > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

        • Marta Dawes
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
            Re-Correction:

            The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
            hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
            speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
            writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
            this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG episodes
            as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
            all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.

            I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
            four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
            which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
            book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
            coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
            were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
            shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.

            Marta Dawes wrote:

            > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The Sixth
            > Sense"
            > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert Forster.
            > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
            > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season preview TV
            > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they did
            > with
            > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
            > this day.
            >
            > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since that
            > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode renamed
            > some
            > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery" syndication
            > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune, probably
            > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
            > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
            > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to see
            > those
            > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend loved Gary
            > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
            >
            > Marta
            >
            > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
            > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
            >
            > All we are saying...
            > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
            >
            > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
            > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

          • Richard D. Perez
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
              Interesting. WLVI here in Boston ran hourlong versions.

              Marta Dawes wrote:

              > Re-Correction:
              >
              > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
              > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
              > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
              > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
              > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
              > episodes
              > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
              > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
              >
              > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
              > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
              > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
              > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
              > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
              > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
              > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.
              >
              > Marta
              >
              > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
              > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
              >
              > All we are saying...
              > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
              >
              > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
              > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

            • Marta Dawes
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                If the station showed the hour-long "Sixth Sense" episodes with a Serling
                intro, it had to be something put together by the station itself. How long
                ago was this? To my knowledge those hour-long "SS" episodes have never been
                shown since their original run.

                Marta Dawes wrote:

                > Re-Correction:
                >
                > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from an
                > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
                > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
                > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who did
                > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
                > episodes
                > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They were
                > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
                >
                > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the past
                > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
                > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of the
                > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will be
                > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
                > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
                > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's fault.
                >
                > Marta
                >
                > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
                > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
                >
                > All we are saying...
                > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                >
                > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big Jim
                > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

              • Skip Brown
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                  I vaguely remember Banyon, so I can't comment much about it. But "Sixth
                  Sense" is another story. I remember, at 11 years(?) old it scared the heck
                  out of me. It's pilot started as an episode of "Night Gallery", didn't it?

                  While we are talking about anthologies, anyone remember the "Night Gallery"
                  knock off called "Ghost Story" hosted by Family Affair's "Mr. French"
                  (Sebastian Cabot)? There is another show that scared me! I suppose if I saw
                  them now, I would laugh.

                  Other TV Movies that scared me during that era:
                  "Something Evil" Speilberg directed this chiller about a family on a farm,
                  where the devil comes to stay.
                  "Black Noon" Roy Thinnes is a preacher in a western town named "San Melas"
                  terrorized by a devil cult
                  "The Eyes Of Charles Sand" Another pilot movie about a man who uses his
                  supernatural "sight" to solve crimes.

                  Ooooo... Scary..... brrrrrrrr.

                  Skip

                  On 7/15/06, Richard D. Perez <richardperez@...> wrote:

                  > Interesting. WLVI here in Boston ran hourlong versions.
                  >

                  > Marta Dawes wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Re-Correction:
                  > >
                  > > The 25 "Sixth Sense" episodes that had been produced were cut down from
                  > an
                  > > hour to a half-hour. They were not rewrapped by Serling; he was hired to
                  > > speak the intros only, at a hefty price. The words were not even his
                  > > writing but someone else's. Harry Tatelman, a Universal executive who
                  > did
                  > > this same hatchet job on other series, was hired to cut down the NG
                  > > episodes
                  > > as well as the "Sixth Sense" episodes for a syndication package. They
                  > were
                  > > all half-hour desecrations when he got done with them.
                  > >
                  > > I own the Yahoo Night Gallery discussion board, have done so for the
                  > past
                  > > four years, and have the Night Gallery Companion in my hands as I type,
                  > > which states on page 361 exactly what I've typed above. The authors of
                  > the
                  > > book moderate the discussion list. These nor any other NG episodes will
                  > be
                  > > coming out on DVD, at least by Universal. The sales of the first season
                  > > were not high enough, according to the studio. No mention is made of the
                  > > shoddiness of the package they put together, which was Universal's
                  > fault.
                  > >
                  > > Marta
                  > >
                  > > http://www.steveandmarta.com <http://www.steveandmarta.com> - See the
                  > > 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!
                  > >
                  > > All we are saying...
                  > > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                  > >
                  > > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! - Big
                  > Jim
                  > > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                • Richard D. Perez
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                    Early 80s.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 15, 2006
                      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, dmanmetz@... wrote:
                      > ...they did add the
                      > beginning teaser and opening title of the Gold Machine. COOL! Did
                      > you provide them with that Don?
                      > _http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html_
                      > (http://www.tvparty.com/70fall72-2.html)

                      Hi Chris: Thanks for the info on TV Party and the link. I knew that
                      Billy Ingram was doing a retro look at 1972 and wondered if he would
                      mention Search. Well, he gave the show special mention, which is
                      great and hopefully will draw more members to our list. I did send
                      Billy a VHS with three episodes on it, and Gold Machine was one of
                      them.

                      On the comparison to '24,' I wish Billy had put it more this
                      way: "Think of SEARCH as being the analog predecessor to the
                      digital '24.'"

                      I was going to put together and send to Billy an update article based
                      on some of the new information Jim was able to get from John Strong,
                      and from other sources. But I was holding off because I thought Jim
                      said he was going to try for a follow up with Mr. Strong. Jim, let
                      us know if that is something we should be looking out for, okay? :-)

                      Thanks also to Actingman for posting those TV Guide scans. Brings
                      back lots of memories. I still have a few old TV Guides from the
                      1960's and 70's, some in better condition than others. I might fill
                      a disc with scans, slanted toward genre show listings, and send them
                      to you one of these days...

                      ---Don
                    • Morningstar
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                        While "The Twilight Zone" was the best of the series, I enjoyed both
                        "Night Gallery" and "The Sixth Sense." I think that I liked "the Sixth
                        Sense" more than "Night Gallery." SS just came across as less scare
                        and more intellectual, more science fiction than horror.

                        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Marta Dawes" <marta@...> wrote:

                        > Thanks for posting this, Chris. I very much remember both "The
                        Sixth Sense"
                        > and "Banyon," the last of which was a decent show starring Robert
                        Forster.
                        > At the time it impressed me with its noir feeling, and I was only 15. I
                        > would love to see this again. In the early 70's the fall season
                        preview TV
                        > Guide was the most awaited magazine at my house. I loved what they
                        did with
                        > the new shows section, and I remember the pictures of "Banyon" fondly to
                        > this day.
                        >
                        > "Sixth Sense" hasn't been shown in those uncut 1 hour episodes since
                        that
                        > original run; it was chopped down to a half hour, each episode
                        renamed some
                        > ridiculously insipid name, and wedged into the "Night Gallery"
                        syndication
                        > package with new intros by Rod (for which he was paid a fortune,
                        probably
                        > the only reason he did them). It helped to draw the opinion of the far
                        > superior NG downwards, since NG had been cut for syndication as well. I
                        > remember "Sixth Sense" as being talky and boring, but I'd like to
                        see those
                        > uncut episodes again, just to decide for myself. My best friend
                        loved Gary
                        > Collins, or I would never have seen the series.
                        >
                        > Marta
                        >
                        > http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention
                        page!

                        > All we are saying...
                        > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
                        >
                        > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! -
                        Big Jim
                        > McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

                      • Morningstar
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 18, 2006
                          Bummer about the other seasons of "Night Gallery." I bought the first
                          season and hoped for more.