Re: Forgotten Shows on DVD

  • Morningstar
    Message 1 of 46 , Jun 1, 2006
      "Danger Man" and "Saphire and Steele" do not count, since they were
      popular in their native Great Britain. A&E has released many British
      shows, including almost all of the Gerry Anderson series. However,
      many of those were originally released from Carlton in Great Britain,
      so all A&E had to do was repackage them.

      --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Marta Dawes" <marta@...> wrote:

      > "Good Morning World" seems as obscure as they come to me, because I
      don't
      > remember it. Just the idea that it was released on DVD is
      mind-boggling.
      > Who saw to it that it was put on DVD and what motivations were
      behind it?
      > It certainly couldn't have been done to make a profit, because the
      chances
      > are not many people remember it. Goldie could be the reason but it
      seems
      > like there should be more to it than that.
      >
      > "Fractured Flickers" is one that I did a double-take on. It also had not
      > been syndicated, that I know of, on broadcast TV since it aired.
      The cable
      > comedy Ha! Channel ran it in it around 1990 or so, and Showtime ran
      it back
      > in the early 80's. The fact that it was put on DVD is miraculous.
      >
      > The 1983 HBO series "Philip Marlowe, Private Eye" ran five original
      episodes
      > and each episode was broadcast only twice. This came out on DVD at
      the end
      > of last year, though I know a cable series is a bit different than a
      > commercial TV series. But it qualifies, I think, in that it was off the
      > radar for 22 years before it resurfaced. No one I ever talked to
      remembered
      > this series, but it was a gem.
      >
      > "Danger Man" is a good one, in that I don't believe it was
      syndicated here
      > in the US since it was first shown, back in the late 60's (though I am
      > probably totally wrong on this one). It's now out on DVD, which was
      another
      > surprise for me.
      >
      > "Sapphire and Steel" is another British show that was never
      broadcast here,
      > I believe, and I don't think it was re-shown in England, either,
      after it
      > debuted in 1979 but came out on DVD last year in both countries.
      >
      > And finally, the mini-series "Backstairs at the White House" was never
      > rebroadcast but finally came out on DVD just a few months ago.
      >
      > Marta
      >
      > http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention
      page!

      > All we are saying...
      > is give Peace a chance. - John Lennon
      >
      > May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon! -
      Big Jim

      Message 46 of 46 , Jun 1, 2006