Re: Ongoing threads & list history

    Message 1 of 37 , May 1, 2006
      --- In probe_control, "Richard D. Perez" wrote:
      > Read my comment again. You will see I was NOT talking about cable
      > TV, but terrestrial TV in the 70s.
      OK, folks....school's open: The syndication business has changed
      greatly since the 70s. Single season shows made here were considered
      to be worthless to stations needing strippable product.

      However, overseas, most countries are used to short-run series.
      Virtually every failed US series was pitched to foreign TV markets.
      SEARCH is still a worthless commodity to most terrestrial stations
      here, but would easily work as weekend fare at cable networks such as
      SciFi, TV Land, American Life TV, Bravo, or even AOL's In2TV service,
      which relies on Warner for its content.

      Case in point: BAYWATCH was canceled by NBC, but it did so well in
      foreign markets that they took the unprecedented step of making more.
      How successful did it become? History shows. But then again, we're
      talking about the late 80's, not the 70's.

      Another odd point to consider: THE FUGITIVE, a hugely successful
      series, ran for four years on ABC. It's syndication life? Zero. The
      thought was, everyone knows how it ends, so why would anyone watch
      it? When A&E began in the mid 80s, they revived it by running it
      every day. Now, it's vanished again with no DVD release in sight.

      Moral: don't try to figure out the syndication business, as it changes
      with the tide.

      Richard D. Perez
    • swhite228@att.net
      Message 37 of 37 , May 7, 2006
        Most all of the 20th Century Fox, Irwin Allen shows used Burrows B205 computers and tape drives.
        It's the same computer used for the Batcomputer. They are highly collectible and a couple of people sell fiberglass replicas of them.

        -------------- Original message from "galacticprobe" <LambuLambu@...>: --------------

        Greetings, All,

        I remember "Time Tunnel" (first-run eps - yes, I'm that old). I
        don't remember any Probe Control consoles being used as TT came
        before the turn of the decade, as did most of the Irwin Allen SciFi
        series ("Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea", "Lost In Space", "Land of
        the Giants", et al). However, the short computer units like those
        seen in the first two Probe Control sets next to Griffin and Carlos,
        and behind Cameron next to the twin upright reel-to-reel drives, were
        definitely there.

        Those units seemed to be "generic" computer gizmos that found
        their way into other series of the time, including the Irwin Allen
        ones I mentioned above, and the '60s series "Batman." (Incidentally,
        the Bat Computer also utilized other props seen aboard the Jupiter
        2.) Also, unless I'm mistaken (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I
        am) the short units also found their way into some later series such
        as "The Six Million-Dollar Man" and "The Bionic Woman."

        I'm sure we'd find them in many other productions as well if we
        scoured the ancient movies now available on video and DVD (including
        some that we may have already seen on "Mystery Science Theater 3000."

        End Run,
        Dino

        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Richard D. Perez"
        <richardperez@...> wrote:

        > It is not uncommon for props to be used by producers of other
        > projects after a show is canceled. In fact, I think some of the
        > computers used in Probe Control were also used in THE TIME TUNNEL.

        Television via satellite Television career production Television

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Visit your group "probe_control" on the web.