definitions

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 14, 2006
      Hello Don at dghprobe3

      I thought the whole point of discussion was if anyone disagreed with
      someone then they should speak up, argue their point or ask for
      clarification. None of us are under 40 years old or likely to belittle
      anyone if they are wrong or missed something.

      I haven't got around to 'The Lone Gunmen' DVD series yet although it is on
      my list to watch. So much is being released these days that it looks like
      companies are trying to make as much money as they can from whatever they
      own. I wonder if it�s purely cash in or they think the bubble is going to
      burst??

      Hello Tony Morningstar

      'Search influence' comes in many forms so time to define.
      A direct homage is when names and references are made to the original in
      something else. That X-Files episode is probably the best example of that.
      An indirect homage is when the same kind of technology is used ie
      monitoring events through other people at a distance. 'Alias' and
      '[Spooks]'/'MI5' falls into that category with debate as to whether the
      creators or writers knew about 'Search' only on discussion or proof of a
      direct homage by paying attention.
      A pre-homage (for the want of a better name) is an oddity of material prior
      to 'Search' where similar techniques of observing was used before 1972 and
      might have been an influence. 'Mission: Impossible' did the Search thing in
      the 60s after all.

      Do you really think CSI comes into any of this?? Observing at a distance
      through nearby agents is probably the one thing that defines 'Search' more
      than anything else.

      Hello CD cmaurelius

      Interesting point. Maybe those films could be called 'name or property
      cash-ins'??

      Gotta go

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
      SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 14, 2006
        --- In probe_control, "Geoff Willmetts" wrote:
        > I thought the whole point of discussion was if anyone disagreed
        > with someone then they should speak up, argue their point or ask
        > for clarification...

        Hi Geoff: Always good to hear from you. I followed what you advised
        in advance in message 3772, where I express my understanding on a
        number of points and ask for links and/or citations if contradictory
        info exists. If I'm misinformed on any of these items, I would very
        much like to be corrected. Will let you know if I hear anything. So
        far it's been rather silent. :-)

        And let us know when "The Lone Gunmen" arrives in your part of the
        world, and also the reaction (if any).
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
          Hello Don

          Everyone else must be having an Easter break. I'm still amazed that no
          manufacturer has ever decided to do chocolate crosses considering it
          probably makes more sense than easter eggs. If JC is added to the cross then
          it brings a whole new level for either cannabalism or eating flesh of my
          flesh. Gods, if that doesn't indicate other people are reading nothing will.
          No offence if you're religiously inclined but if they can put Barbie and
          Wolverine on Advent Calenders anything is possible.

          The Lone Gunmen DVD is out in the UK, just haven't had a slot to fit into my
          watching schedule yet. Any of you folk got any idea why the Edward Woodward
          series 'The Equalizer' on DVD got pulled so quickly??

          Gotta go

          Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
          http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
          THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
          THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

          AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
          SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
          DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
          SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
          http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

        • Chuck Joiner
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
            Hello everyone,

            Through a series of happy web-surfing accidents I discovered this list
            and just joined, so please pardon what are probably terribly over-asked
            questions.

            I have an old, old VHS of the pilot movie that I'm almost afraid to play
            because of the condition of the tape; nice to know that there are others
            who remember this series that I always thought was way ahead of its time.

            Is there any kind of FAQ file about the show i.e. episode guide, plot
            summaries, etc?

            And the very obvious question: is there anywhere one can get copies of
            the show on DVD or VHS?

            Thanks!

            ---Chuck
          • bfiler2002000
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
              I wasn't aware The Equalizer was on DVD...a few episodes were released
              on video some years back, but they were only a very few, all
              two-parters, as I recall. I do remember thinking at the time it was
              very strange and wondering why they did that.

              Now that the new Sleuth Channel has begun showing The Equalizer
              (according to their website) I have been hoping that would lead
              to a DVD release for the whole series. I don't have DVD as of yet,
              but would like to see that in terms of making people aware of a
              great show.

              Does anybody here get the Sleuth Channel? It doesn't air on my cable
              system, and I talked to a friend who lives in the NYC area, who said
              she didn't have it either...and I thought she would, being in NYC!
              Their initial offerings (again, according to their Web site) aren't
              too inspiring when you think of some of the things they could show,
              however, I heard a rumor that they were planning to run SEARCH at some
              future point (might just be the PROBE pilot, but even that would be
              good...if it wasn't at 4 A.M.!) so we might want to keep a look out.

              --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, <actingman@...> wrote:

              > Geoff: On behalf of a friend who loved The Equalizer...it was
              released on DVD somewhere at some point?

              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
                Hi: Sleuth Channel is what NBC-Universal replaced with the now-
                defunct TRIO Channel. I hear it is available on Time-Warner cable
                systems.
                sleuthchannel.com/FAQ/

                I've also heard that Sleuth is supposed to appear on DirecTV sometime
                this year, but no exact date has been given besides "Spring 2006,"
                which is already upon us.
                http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=56127

                Haven't heard that they might show "Search" or the pilot movie. Be
                nice if they did. Everyone keep a lookout.

              • actingman@mindspring.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
                  Geoff: On behalf of a friend who loved The Equalizer...it was released on DVD somewhere at some point?

                  >Subject: RE: [probe_control] Re: definitions
                  > From: "Geoff Willmetts" <gfwillmetts@...>
                  > Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 22:39:28 +0000
                  > To: probe_control@yahoogroups.com
                  >

                  >The Lone Gunmen DVD is out in the UK, just haven't had a slot to fit into my
                  >watching schedule yet. Any of you folk got any idea why the Edward Woodward
                  >series 'The Equalizer' on DVD got pulled so quickly??
                • STEPHEN RUSELL
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
                    Cant get Sleuth Channel on Charter Comm in La Canada area CA.
                    Damn.
                    Yet NBC is nearby in Burbank.
                    Hope so for Search.

                    dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@...> wrote:
                    Hi: Sleuth Channel is what NBC-Universal replaced with the now-
                    defunct TRIO Channel. I hear it is available on Time-Warner cable
                    systems.
                    sleuthchannel.com/FAQ/

                    I've also heard that Sleuth is supposed to appear on DirecTV sometime
                    this year, but no exact date has been given besides "Spring 2006,"
                    which is already upon us.
                    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=56127

                    Haven't heard that they might show "Search" or the pilot movie. Be
                    nice if they did. Everyone keep a lookout.

                    --- In probe_control, "bfiler2002000" wrote:
                    > Does anybody here get the Sleuth Channel...

                    Television commercial production Television advertising Plasma television Television via satellite Television career production Television

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
                      Give a shout if you hear that they are on Directv. That would be nice since they dropped Trio...and haven't added anything good since

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 15, 2006
                        Then Chuck, I guess you haven't been to www.probecontrol.com yet.

                        Go now...and come back to us in about three days when you surface for air.

                        You'll see what I mean.

                        >Subject: [probe_control] Newbie question(s)
                        > From: "Chuck Joiner" <chuck@...>
                        > Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 20:27:12 -0400
                        > To: <probe_control@yahoogroups.com>
                        >
                        >Hello everyone,
                        >
                        >Through a series of happy web-surfing accidents I discovered this list
                        >and just joined, so please pardon what are probably terribly over-asked
                        >questions.
                        >
                        >I have an old, old VHS of the pilot movie that I'm almost afraid to play
                        >because of the condition of the tape; nice to know that there are others
                        >who remember this series that I always thought was way ahead of its time.
                        >
                        >Is there any kind of FAQ file about the show i.e. episode guide, plot
                        >summaries, etc?
                        >
                        >And the very obvious question: is there anywhere one can get copies of
                        >the show on DVD or VHS?
                        >
                        >Thanks!
                        >
                        >---Chuck
                      • Richard D. Perez
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2006
                          Apparently THE EQUALIZER is on dvd in the UK, but not here. If you buy
                          an Apex DVD player, it can be flashed to play all regions.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 16, 2006
                            I've had a region free, plays PAL dvd player for years now.

                            I checked Amazon.uk...no trace of Equalizer on dvd there.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 16, 2006
                              Check out www.dvdavenue.tv for the DVDs