Re: [probe_control] Digest Number 87

  • ataylor@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2000
      probe_control@egroups.com wrote:

      > > I agree with all that you've brought up in your analysis, Ant! Good
      > > stuff!

      Well it seems like a pretty straightforward scenario in the year 2000,
      doesn't it?

      > > However-- I will beg one exception. You said:
      >
      > -----------------------------
      > >... I doubt a show with three revolving leads would do very well in today's
      > market, just as it didn't come off in 1972 according to the ratings or
      > powers that be who cancelled it.
      > -----------------------------
      > I always liked the "revolving leads" concept (but just because I liked it,
      > doesn't mean that the audience was crazy about it). Confusing to viewers?
      > Not as confusing as shows with a large cast of characters, I'd think. Not
      > as (potentially) confusing as shows with a long "mythology" a la' THE
      > X-FILES. And you're not saying that "the" major reason why SEARCH didn't do
      > well was the three-leads formula, are you? I'm guessing you're chalking it
      > up to Time Slot, etc., too.?

      Absolutely. I don't necessarily think that it was a factor at all, but I
      do think it would be now. Think about it, SEARCH was probably the LAST
      show to use rotating leads.... I think it splits the fan base into
      factions, which isnt necessarily healthy. I myself was a Grover fan as a
      child, but I enjoyed the Lockwood shows and tolerated Bianco, who was
      always a bit too smug for me, plus the shows were more mob oriented,
      something I had less interest in than international intrigue. Yep, even
      when i was 8 years old or so... lol. Watching them now, I still prefer
      Probe 1 and Standby probe to the "Omega man", although the gap is much
      closer than it was in 1972-73. I agree the three leads made WSC seem
      very large, but then there was poor Cam who obviously never slept and
      probably rarely bathed as well.
      As for the new series scenario, any other ideas? I have a friend who is
      an actor and has his own production company... I am thinking oh chatting
      with him about this at some point and see what his thoughts are...
      AT
    • ataylor@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 21, 2000
        Hey all-
        One more thing... I am a graphic artist by trade, and I am thinking of
        designing some color box covers for my SEARCH episodes... If anyone is
        interested, I could save tham as Adobe Acrobat .pdf files that could be
        stored at probecontrol.com for anyone to download. I need two things
        though...
        First, a nice high resolution (300 dpi) scan of the SEARCH logotype... I
        used to have this font but can't find it now...
        and also a consensus on format for the covers. I had two ideas, one is a
        generic box cover that would have blank space on the spine and back
        cover to write in or affix a label with episode names, or possibly doing
        three different boxes, one for each probe. This would of course mean
        that future dubs would need to be formatted so that each tape had two
        episodes with the same Probe in them. Or I could do both and let people
        decide which they wanted to use.
        What do you think?
        AT