Re: Cannell & shows in general...

    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
      --- In probe_control, <probecontrol@s...> wrote:
      > <snip> It *almost* makes you feel sorry for the poor schlubs given
      > the editing assignments, Terri. They're just doin' their
      > jobs. But it still stinks.

      Hi: One of the reasons I enjoy these mailing lists is that I can
      throw out an offbeat observation or register a minor to severe
      complaint, and folks will send in usually enlightening replies. So
      thanks to all who have responded to this and related threads, I've
      learned a few things in the last couple of days.

      What we probably need are more cable channels that can do for TV
      series what Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel do for
      movies. I think Encore is the only cluster of channels that run TV
      series uncut and without commercials, but they are a premium pay
      service to which I don't have access.

      I would imagine the Sleuth Channel, being owned by NBC-Uni (like Sci-
      Fi Channel), cuts their shows/movies tremendously. Can anyone give a
      report on the overall appearance of Sleuth Channel? It's another one
      I can't get.

      --Don
    • Marta Dawes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
        We're getting the Universal HD channel here, but I haven't seen the Sleuth
        Channel yet. I haven't had the chance to watch a series episode on Uni HD,
        but they show things like "The Equalizer" and "Knightrider," which I
        wouldn't know were uncut since I never watched them when they were first
        broadcast. Their movies so far have been less than inspiring, since they
        showed the cut version of "Dune" several weeks ago. It looked great,
        though. :-)

        Marta

        http://www.steveandmarta.com - See the 2004 Twilight Zone Convention page!

        All we are saying is...give Peace a chance.
        John Lennon

        May the good Lord take a likin' to ya and blow ya up real soon.
        Big Jim McBob and Billy Sol Hurok

        > <snip> It *almost* makes you feel sorry for the poor schlubs given
        > the editing assignments, Terri. They're just doin' their
        > jobs. But it still stinks.

        Hi: One of the reasons I enjoy these mailing lists is that I can
        throw out an offbeat observation or register a minor to severe
        complaint, and folks will send in usually enlightening replies. So
        thanks to all who have responded to this and related threads, I've
        learned a few things in the last couple of days.

        What we probably need are more cable channels that can do for TV
        series what Turner Classic Movies and Fox Movie Channel do for
        movies. I think Encore is the only cluster of channels that run TV
        series uncut and without commercials, but they are a premium pay
        service to which I don't have access.

        I would imagine the Sleuth Channel, being owned by NBC-Uni (like Sci-
        Fi Channel), cuts their shows/movies tremendously. Can anyone give a
        report on the overall appearance of Sleuth Channel? It's another one
        I can't get.

        --Don

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • STEPHEN RUSELL
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
          Shall we sue the DVD makers???
          Others?
          Petition???
          Online.
          With TV actors who lose residuals from DVDs alone.
          FYI.

          probecontrol@... wrote:
          >I What is depressing about Cannell is that volumes of his
          stuff dirive from music.
          ================
          Agreed. Cannell's programs are so very music-driven. Almost
          every one of them (if not every one). That's why it's
          especially unfortunate that clearances haven't been acquired
          for his DVD sets in particular.
          >... I really wonder if they realize that they take away
          more than music when they remove it.
          I doubt they care until concrete evidence can be given that
          it really *does* impact DVD sales. Until then, they won't
          give a flip.

          Just as bad (IMHO) are the editors who had to shave our
          beloved 47-to-50 minutes shows of the 50's, 60's and 70's
          down the to 45-minute run times.