Re: [probe_control] Warner Bros prepares TV Internet service

  • actingman@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
      Let's also remember what Marta mentioned to us.

      Here is her email from awhile back:

      I sent the email message below to Actingman, and he suggested I post it to
      the list; I thought I'd already mentioned what I'd done, but I had not.
      I've abridged a little of it. The upshot is that if you'd like to see
      "Search" out on DVD, write a nice, detailed letter to Image Entertainment,
      asking them to release it. I put the idea before them, sometime last fall,
      and haven't heard anything on it yet. But, it can't hurt to start a
      campaign so here's the address.

      IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT INC
      DVD Sales & Services
      20525 NORDHOFF ST # 200
      CHATSWORTH, CA

      Here's the email:

      "I served as a consultant on the 1985 TZ DVD set, and Image took a few of
      the images off my site. We also sent some of our memorabilia to Image to
      use, but I'm not sure what if any they did use. When we went to LA in 2004,
      we had lunch with the production team and toured the facility, talked about
      the cover art and had a great time. I also put them in touch with Alan
      Brennert, though they would have found him eventually. But, I think that by
      getting Alan to them early in the planning, they were able to get a lot of
      people in there for the commentaries that they would not have had. Since
      Phil DeGuere has since passed away, it's a good thing the commentaries
      happened when they did. There will be an "In Memoriam" to Phil on the
      second season set.

      Wait till you hear the commentaries on the first season set. They're
      priceless, and almost worth the 20 year wait. You can let me know what you
      think. I also let Image know about Search being a series with a big fan
      base, and that like "Buck Rogers," which they also did, it would be perfect
      for a DVD release since it ran just one season. I haven't heard anything
      since then on Search, but you never know; I gave them the website address
      and told them there's an active group of fans out there that love the show
      and want to see it on DVD. I thought I posted something about it to the
      list when I did it, but it's been about a year, so I must not have. Between
      school and work my memory is shot.

      Image is dedicated to putting out TV series, and if they can get the rights
      they'll do it, and do it as it should be done. All five seasons of the
      Combat! release are a big seller, and they're hitting the top of the DVD
      charts; it's doing way more than Image thought it ever would, so they're
      more receptive to the more obscure series now. I've always said Hollywood
      doesn't do their research correctly, or not at all, when they look at
      releasing TV series. Steve and I both consulted on the Image Combat! set,
      and the first three or four seasons have an image gallery with the shots
      from our site. The fifth season will have a walkthrough of Franklin Canyon,
      where virtually all of the outdoors shooting was done, with several of the
      Combat! fans who live in LA and a film crew from Image. They've got all the
      shooting locations mapped out, and have spent years hunting down every
      camera angle from some of the shows. Most of the stuff on the Combat! sets
      came from fans, which is the way to release a series that has a big fan
      base.

      Image wanted to release a deluxe Night Gallery set, but Universal refused.
      The writers of the Night Gallery Companion book, who have every bit of
      trivia and memorabilia, were going to write the booklet, and open their
      archives to Image; they were going to bring in all the stars to do
      commentaries, the directors, everyone. We (the NG discussion list) were all
      devastated when Universal turned them down flat. And then, look at the
      garbage Universal put out on NG. The first season set cover is a
      jury-rigged picture of Rod, with some space graphics behind it, and the font
      is not even the distinctive NG font. No commentaries, no extras, nothing.
      It's criminal the way some of the these studios treat their series like
      unwanted hostages."

      Marta

      http://www.steveandmarta.com

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
        Excellent post, Actingman!

        I'll dash off my letter over the weekend. It couldn't hurt.

        Brooks

        ---------------------------------

      • Michael Beacom
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
          They probably do not have a clue --- think of how amazed other fans of the show are that there is *anyone* else who loves Search. Most of the executives involved at Warners now probably were born the same year it came out or later.

          Michael Beacom
          mjbeacom@...

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
            The same can be said of the release of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. At least they kept the typewriter font on the top of the box set, but otherwise no extras. Fans have waited years for the set and what do they get? Discs that they could have made for themselves with digital cable and a DVD recorder/burner.

            Almost all of the contributors to Search are gone. If a Search DVD Set is going to get done even close to right, they need to get it done now.

            Michael Beacom
            mjbeacom@...

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
              Hello Michael

              Having execs at Warners who know nothing actually increases the chances of
              being swayed to do something. No history with the series - which has kept it
              off the air Stateside after all - and we can use that to exaggerate its
              importance more than just our group especially if it can be linked to how
              other series like Alias use a similar technique that Search started.

              Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
              http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
              THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
              THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

              AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
              SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
              DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
              SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
              http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/