Warner Bros prepares TV Internet service

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi folks: Warner Brothers, the studio that made SEARCH, is planning
      a new Internet service involving the many old series they have in
      their vaults. This may turn out to be the best chance SEARCH could
      have to see the 'broadcast' light of day in the US for the first time
      since 1973. Can anyone find out more about this service? Thanks.
      -----------------------------------

      http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?
      t=278405&goto=nextnewest

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/business/14warner.html?
      pagewanted=print

      Looking for "The Fugitive?" Didn't get enough "Eight Is Enough?"
      Would you like to "Welcome Back, Kotter" one more time?

      Warner Brothers is preparing a major new Internet service that will
      let fans watch full episodes from more than 100 old television
      series. The service, called In2TV, will be free, supported by
      advertising, and will start early next year. More than 4,800 episodes
      will be made available online in the first year.

      The move will give Warner a way to reap new advertising revenue from
      a huge trove of old programming that is not widely syndicated.

      Programs on In2TV will have one to two minutes of commercials for
      each half-hour episode, compared with eight minutes in a standard
      broadcast. The Internet commercials cannot be skipped.

      America Online, which is making a broad push into Internet video,
      will distribute the service on its Web portal. Both it and Warner
      Brothers are Time Warner units. An enhanced version of the service
      will use peer-to-peer file-sharing technology to get the video data
      to viewers.

      Warner, with 800 television programs in its library, says it is the
      largest TV syndicator. It wants to use the Internet to reach viewers
      rather than depend on the whims of cable networks and local TV
      stations, said Eric Frankel, the president of Warner Brothers'
      domestic cable distribution division. (More at links.)

      http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/b...agewanted=print
    • Mike
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
        Wow, that sounds Great,

        They plan on starting with 100 but states they have 800 different
        Series. I wonder if that means they are planning on making them ALL
        availible? If they have the Search Series and they plan on making
        them availible, that would mean they would also most likely have the
        ever sought after 'Ends of The Earth'.

        Intriguing Indeed.

        Thanks for the Info.

        Good Day All,
        Mike S

        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "dghprobe3" <dghprobe3@a...>
        wrote:

        > Hi folks: Warner Brothers, the studio that made SEARCH, is
        planning
        > a new Internet service involving the many old series they have in
        > their vaults. This may turn out to be the best chance SEARCH
        could
        > have to see the 'broadcast' light of day in the US for the first
        time
        > since 1973. Can anyone find out more about this service? Thanks.
        > -----------------------------------
        >
        > http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?
        > t=278405&goto=nextnewest
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/business/14warner.html?
        > pagewanted=print
        >
        > Looking for "The Fugitive?" Didn't get enough "Eight Is Enough?"
        > Would you like to "Welcome Back, Kotter" one more time?
        >
        > Warner Brothers is preparing a major new Internet service that
        will
        > let fans watch full episodes from more than 100 old television
        > series. The service, called In2TV, will be free, supported by
        > advertising, and will start early next year. More than 4,800
        episodes
        > will be made available online in the first year.
        >
        > The move will give Warner a way to reap new advertising revenue
        from
        > a huge trove of old programming that is not widely syndicated.
        >
        > Programs on In2TV will have one to two minutes of commercials for
        > each half-hour episode, compared with eight minutes in a standard
        > broadcast. The Internet commercials cannot be skipped.
        >
        > America Online, which is making a broad push into Internet video,
        > will distribute the service on its Web portal. Both it and Warner
        > Brothers are Time Warner units. An enhanced version of the service
        > will use peer-to-peer file-sharing technology to get the video
        data
        > to viewers.
        >
        > Warner, with 800 television programs in its library, says it is
        the
        > largest TV syndicator. It wants to use the Internet to reach
        viewers
        > rather than depend on the whims of cable networks and local TV
        > stations, said Eric Frankel, the president of Warner Brothers'
        > domestic cable distribution division. (More at links.)
        >
        > http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/14/b...agewanted=print

      • Brooks, Brooks, Brooks, Brooks Cook, Coo
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
          Nice find, Don!

          If anyone does find out something, maybe we can do a "massive" letter writing campaign - well, as massive as the probe control yahoo group can be considered "massive", anyway :)

          WB may not have clue one that there's any interest at all. A few whiny letters from us may just be the thing that has them dust off the Search library. We could even send them a link to the wonderfully put together site. That would show them the level of interest.

          Brooks

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
            Let's also remember what Marta mentioned to us.

            Here is her email from awhile back:

            I sent the email message below to Actingman, and he suggested I post it to
            the list; I thought I'd already mentioned what I'd done, but I had not.
            I've abridged a little of it. The upshot is that if you'd like to see
            "Search" out on DVD, write a nice, detailed letter to Image Entertainment,
            asking them to release it. I put the idea before them, sometime last fall,
            and haven't heard anything on it yet. But, it can't hurt to start a
            campaign so here's the address.

            IMAGE ENTERTAINMENT INC
            DVD Sales & Services
            20525 NORDHOFF ST # 200
            CHATSWORTH, CA

            Here's the email:

            "I served as a consultant on the 1985 TZ DVD set, and Image took a few of
            the images off my site. We also sent some of our memorabilia to Image to
            use, but I'm not sure what if any they did use. When we went to LA in 2004,
            we had lunch with the production team and toured the facility, talked about
            the cover art and had a great time. I also put them in touch with Alan
            Brennert, though they would have found him eventually. But, I think that by
            getting Alan to them early in the planning, they were able to get a lot of
            people in there for the commentaries that they would not have had. Since
            Phil DeGuere has since passed away, it's a good thing the commentaries
            happened when they did. There will be an "In Memoriam" to Phil on the
            second season set.

            Wait till you hear the commentaries on the first season set. They're
            priceless, and almost worth the 20 year wait. You can let me know what you
            think. I also let Image know about Search being a series with a big fan
            base, and that like "Buck Rogers," which they also did, it would be perfect
            for a DVD release since it ran just one season. I haven't heard anything
            since then on Search, but you never know; I gave them the website address
            and told them there's an active group of fans out there that love the show
            and want to see it on DVD. I thought I posted something about it to the
            list when I did it, but it's been about a year, so I must not have. Between
            school and work my memory is shot.

            Image is dedicated to putting out TV series, and if they can get the rights
            they'll do it, and do it as it should be done. All five seasons of the
            Combat! release are a big seller, and they're hitting the top of the DVD
            charts; it's doing way more than Image thought it ever would, so they're
            more receptive to the more obscure series now. I've always said Hollywood
            doesn't do their research correctly, or not at all, when they look at
            releasing TV series. Steve and I both consulted on the Image Combat! set,
            and the first three or four seasons have an image gallery with the shots
            from our site. The fifth season will have a walkthrough of Franklin Canyon,
            where virtually all of the outdoors shooting was done, with several of the
            Combat! fans who live in LA and a film crew from Image. They've got all the
            shooting locations mapped out, and have spent years hunting down every
            camera angle from some of the shows. Most of the stuff on the Combat! sets
            came from fans, which is the way to release a series that has a big fan
            base.

            Image wanted to release a deluxe Night Gallery set, but Universal refused.
            The writers of the Night Gallery Companion book, who have every bit of
            trivia and memorabilia, were going to write the booklet, and open their
            archives to Image; they were going to bring in all the stars to do
            commentaries, the directors, everyone. We (the NG discussion list) were all
            devastated when Universal turned them down flat. And then, look at the
            garbage Universal put out on NG. The first season set cover is a
            jury-rigged picture of Rod, with some space graphics behind it, and the font
            is not even the distinctive NG font. No commentaries, no extras, nothing.
            It's criminal the way some of the these studios treat their series like
            unwanted hostages."

            Marta

            http://www.steveandmarta.com

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
              I think it's a great idea to have "Search" and other tv shows on the tv
              internet servicio' on one of the vaults as long as they can have at
              least a couple of eppys with network tv commercials in it.

              Just a thought
              Rick

            • Brooks, Brooks, Brooks, Brooks Cook, Coo
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 5, 2006
                Excellent post, Actingman!

                I'll dash off my letter over the weekend. It couldn't hurt.

                Brooks

              • Michael Beacom
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
                  They probably do not have a clue --- think of how amazed other fans of the show are that there is *anyone* else who loves Search. Most of the executives involved at Warners now probably were born the same year it came out or later.

                  Michael Beacom
                  mjbeacom@...

                  dghprobe3 <dghprobe3@...> wrote:
[...]

                  YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  Visit your group "probe_control" on the web.

                • Michael Beacom
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
                    The same can be said of the release of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. At least they kept the typewriter font on the top of the box set, but otherwise no extras. Fans have waited years for the set and what do they get? Discs that they could have made for themselves with digital cable and a DVD recorder/burner.

                    Almost all of the contributors to Search are gone. If a Search DVD Set is going to get done even close to right, they need to get it done now.

                    Michael Beacom
                    mjbeacom@...

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 7, 2006
                      Hello Michael

                      Having execs at Warners who know nothing actually increases the chances of
                      being swayed to do something. No history with the series - which has kept it
                      off the air Stateside after all - and we can use that to exaggerate its
                      importance more than just our group especially if it can be linked to how
                      other series like Alias use a similar technique that Search started.

                      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
                      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
                      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
                      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

                      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
                      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
                      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
                      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
                      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
                      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
                      SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
                      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/