Dominic Frontiere/ TV Themes

  • dmanmetz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 14, 2005
      Hi gang. I stumbled onto a fun site called mythemes.tv. It has a number of
      themes from old TV shows and other promos. At the very bottom of the list are
      the composers of some of those themes. Right now, there are only four of them
      and Dominic Frontiere is one of them, picture and all. I never knew what he
      looked like or that he was responsible for themes such as Vegas and Matt
      Houston (both, which I never liked), but no wonder those two themes sound
      similar. Also Rat Patrol, The Immortal, Branded, Stoney Bruke, The Outer Limits, and
      of course our favorite, Search. Check it out at: _http://www.mythemes.tv/_
      (http://www.mythemes.tv/)

      Chris

      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2005
        That's a fun little site, and the fellow who runs it seems quite literate in
        his decriptions of music, and what he enjoys. Great stuff! I appreciate
        you passing it along, Chris!

        Jim Alexander
        ==================================

        > Hi gang. I stumbled onto a fun site called mythemes.tv. It has a number
        of
        > themes from old TV shows and other promos. At the very bottom of the list
        are
        > the composers of some of those themes. Right now, there are only four of
        them
        > and Dominic Frontiere is one of them, picture and all. I never knew what
        he
        > looked like or that he was responsible for themes such as Vegas and Matt
        > Houston (both, which I never liked), but no wonder those two themes sound
        > similar. Also Rat Patrol, The Immortal, Branded, Stoney Bruke, The Outer
        Limits, and
        > of course our favorite, Search. Check it out at: _http://www.mythemes.tv/_
        > (http://www.mythemes.tv/)
        >

        > Chris
      • kevin_searchprobe
        Message 3 of 5 , May 24, 2005
          SEARCH profited greatly from Frontiere's theme, I don't think the
          series would've made nearly as much of an impact with me as a kid
          without it. He did some movie scores too, including one of my favorite
          films, "The Stunt Man" with Peter O'Toole.
        • R P
          Message 4 of 5 , May 24, 2005
            I AGREE ! The PROBE pilot's plot and story got me to tune in....but Frontiere's theme enriched and brought excitement to my already wonderful Midwestern upbringing..so much so that it's still in my heart today. Whenever I need to smile or a lift, I simply hum the theme and instantly become a member of the jet set crowd saving the world from the next catastrophe ! I can't imagine PROBE having a more appropriate theme which invited the audience to stay tuned for excitement and immediately let them know they were going to be entertained for the next 90+ minutes. I was disappointed that much of the series never lived up to the excitement potential I felt was inherent in the opening credits.

            kevin_searchprobe <kevin_searchprobe@...> wrote:SEARCH profited greatly from Frontiere's theme, I don't think the
            series would've made nearly as much of an impact with me as a kid
            without it. He did some movie scores too, including one of my favorite
            films, "The Stunt Man" with Peter O'Toole.

          • Michael Beacom
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2005
              Hey! Another Search fan who also loves The Stunt Man? I love that film too. Frontiere was very important both to that and to Search, although music fans will remember many other contributions of his first. In The Stunt Man, Frontiere basically takes a couple of themes and reworks them over and over in different fashion each time keeping it fresh. The Main theme he plays as ballroom dance music (as heard over the end credits), again as ragtime, carnival calliope-style and Dixieland. Likewise the hero's theme "Bits and Pieces" which was a torch song sung by Dusty Springfield but then gets heard again in various guises. The man's versatility is tremendous, and with the death of Goldsmith, Elmer Bernstein and David Raxon, leaves him as one of the last surviving Great Film Composers.

              I came a cross the record album of the Stunt Man Soundtrack in a used-store where a local radio station had dumped their library after going to CD in the 80's. I don't know if it was ever commercially available or released on CD, but I treasure that vinyl.

              Michael Beacom
              mjbeacom@...

              SEARCH profited greatly from Frontiere's theme, I don't think the
              series would've made nearly as much of an impact with me as a kid
              without it. He did some movie scores too, including one of my favorite
              films, "The Stunt Man" with Peter O'Toole.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to: