"The Gold Machine" arrived today (11-1-00)

  • Don Harden
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
      John: "The Gold Machine" arrived today in great shape!

      I had a chance to run it and overall it looks okay. It's a 16mm copy
      someone transferred to video, similar to the one we have of "Let Us
      Prey," not quite as good, but it's still watchable. The quality
      reminds me a little of some dupes of the Star Trek blooper film.

      I only saw "ghosts" of the "Place Commercials Here," which look like
      someone went through some trouble to pause them out. There was also
      only one of the mid-point "stingers," the shorter one. I'm guessing
      you duped the tape just as you received it.

      "Gold Machine" seems meant to have been a sequel or continuation of
      the Probe pilot. It's not a "tough" episode like "Flight to
      Nowhere," it's more light-hearted like the pilot. The helicopter
      scenes reminded me a LOT of "Adonis File."

      Since this was episode #2, it seems that the famous "cheesy cool
      music" had it's debut here, yet it was the only Lockwood episode with
      that music in it.

      Thanks also for the bonus of "Moment of Madness." The picture for
      this one seems to be a bit more stable compared to what I have.

      You will have to let us know how you did it. You transferred it to a
      hard drive? Fill us in.
    • actingman@iname.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
        Yes, I simply copied it directly...I changed nothing...that frozen shot of
        the logo just before the opening of Gold Machine is someone else's work.

        Someone needs to compare some of the quick blured shots showing street
        scenes to establish Lockwood and Gloria starting their night on the town
        with the shots used in In Search Of Midas. I think some of them are the same.

        Many times shows will be completed using bits and pieces from shows shot
        later on. This is especially true with the music. There may have been a
        few episodes in the can before Dominic Frontiere wrote the series music
        (adding to the music from the pilot.)

        I have an example of this from Space:1999. The second episode of the
        second season has a two second sequence that was actually shot for
        something like the sixth episode (containing content specific to the sixth
        episode.) And I am talking production order here. They were able to use
        the first part of the shot as background filler for the earlier second episode.

        I suspect that this was done in Gold Machine.

        I ended up doing a straight vcr to vcr dub. The hard disk recorder, for
        some reason, could not read parts of the signal off the video tape.

        As a side note, the machine refuses to read macrovision dvds...it displays
        a message saying the content is copywrite protected.

        I will be doing more dubs this weekend, so those of you who haven't gotten
        them yet...just hang on. My schedule limits my dubbing time to the weekends.