RE: [probe_control] Re: Sci-Fi Channel ran Search in 1994?

  • Michael Beacom
    Message 1 of 32 , Apr 25 10:01 PM
      I think that the PROBE format should be very workable today, but I do dread what would be done with it on cable or worse, network television. Granted, they can do more with less but I think that overall spending on genre shows has gotten WORSE in recent years due to the decline of market share for even a successful show brought on by proliferation of channels (Enterprise is being canceled because UPN cannot afford it anymore --- this is the first time a Trek show has been canceled since 1969---- you know the market is tough when that happens).

      I would hope something like HBO or SHOWTIME could be enlisted, because I think that they seem to be allowing greater range to explore than the more conventional networks do. Hence, fewer obstacles for quality writing (if you talk to anyone actually IN the business and hear about the unbelievably petty crap which goes on there it is amazing that anything gets done for the screen at all and damn near impossible to do anything well.)

      Michael Beacom
      mjbeacom@...

      Message 32 of 32 , Apr 28 6:04 PM
        Thanks very much, good idea.
        Now to PR the Name of the Game fandom too.

        Geoff Willmetts <gfwillmetts@...> wrote:
        Hello everyone

        Something did occur to me reading through all of yesterday�s ProbeChat. If
        you are going on a letter campaign to TV stations can I add my
        twopennyworth.

        Hit on those who�ve shown �Wyatt Earp� cos they�ll be familiar with Hugh
        O�Brian. If they�ve also shown �Name Of The Game� or even �The Bold Ones�
        (that had a rotating star cast, too, as I recall) then they�ll also be
        familiar with rotating stars. Using things that they are familiar with
        should at least provide some sort of hook they�re familiar with before the
        hard sale.

        Hello Skip

        Just an odd Trek issue. The episodes where the actors played the roles as
        alternative versions of their regular selves tended to be amongst the most
        popular. The thing that�s always held it back is in trying to maintain the
        �Roddenberry Dream� instead of fighting towards it instead. With the
        alternatives, there was simply a lot more meat and interest. If they go back
        to after the DS9 stuff then they need to show the Federation pulling
        together and being more demonstrative they aren�t always going in friendly
        anywhere or they�d be stuck in the water.

        Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
        http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
        THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
        THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

        AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
        SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
        DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
        SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
        http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/