RE: [probe_control] Functional Scanners

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2005
      Hello Jim

      I thought the same thing about the neck chain being an aerial but had to
      have a re-think because of the scanner being worn on a ring, a cuff-link &
      even on its own in the pilot. Of course, with all the stuff inside the Probe
      agent, he could be carrying an internal power source.

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
      SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

    • Michael Beacom
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 25 9:46 PM
        The antenna on the probe could be quite small, and the rest be implanted in the P.R.O.B.E agent.

        This would also give greater credibility to the acronym meaning Programmed Retrieval Operations Biomedically (or Bionically) Enhanced, as I have heard some say.

        Basically, the agent could have an antenna grafted to his ribcage, for example, or more. With compound antenna technology, there would be more than enough room for a hefty antenna array.

        Ditto the microwave receiver for the power supply.

        In the Pilot, they can tell Lockwood's vital signs apart from anyone else's when he leaves the scanner in the napkin. How come his signal is so readily different from any other waiter? I mean, they could check EEG and heart rhythm, but that would be a lengthier process. Lockwood is obviously transmitting to probe control on his own via the nonverbal link even when the probe itself is away and he is outside of their biotelemetry. How? If he had an internal antenna it would explain how they can so easily tell when he is nearer the probe.

        Michael Beacom
        mjbeacom@...