RE: [probe_control] Re: how TV scanner was powered

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 18, 2005
      Hello Mike/kc8nqa

      The one thing the ad didn't show was its scale not scanner resolution.

      The original Probe scanner never carried a power supply. I got Jim Alexander
      on this. If you look at the original pilot, the energy is actually beamed
      into it. Not an entirely impossible idea. Probably means there's a fine wire
      aerial wrapped around the inner part of the disk. No wonder it was easy to
      make them explode on Grover's first case.

      How many of you folk are going to check the episodes. :-)

      Commissioning Editor: http://www.sfcrowsnest.co.uk or
      http://www.computercrowsnest.co.uk
      THE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY MAGAZINE
      THE E-BOOK PUBLISHER THAT TRIES HARDER

      AOL AOL ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://search.aol.com/aolcom/browse?id=906&source=subcats Yahoo Yahoo ranks
      SFcrowsnest #4 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dir.yahoo.com/Entertainment/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/ DMOZ
      DMOZ ranks SFcrowsnest #1 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://dmoz.org/Arts/Literature/Genres/Science_Fiction/ Google Google ranks
      SFcrowsnest #2 most popular SFF site on the Internet
      http://directory.google.com/Top/Arts/Genres/Science_Fiction_and_Fantasy/

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 18, 2005
        Hello again Geoff, Jim and Gang,

        I think that concept is totally feasible and unfortunately the only
        episode I have in my possession is the Pilot - I am going from memory
        on the rest of the episodes. I think I know the Pilot Inside and Out,
        I've watched so many times I'm afraid the tape will wear out. LOL

        Someday I maybe able to get my hands on some of the others - I
        know someone in the Video business that had a line on many of the
        episodes but it didn't pan out, the person my contact dealt with is
        no longer is in the business. Don't know what happened?

        I just thought of something I had when I was kid, well a young kid
        cuz I'm still a kid at heart. LOL I had a small radio that had a
        clip on it - no batteries - when you clipped it to anything metal, it
        worked. Not sure of the concept but it was years before SEARCH. If
        that were possible way back then, I would think that a signal could
        be generated the same way? Just a thought.

        Really enjoying the postings - Great conversation indeed.

        Well,

        Good Day To All.

        Mike

        --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Willmetts"

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 19, 2005
          Hello Mike

          Which country do you live in?? There are tapes of the episodes in
          circulation in the group & some arrangement can be sorted out.

          After last night, I did a little more thinking. If the Probe has got
          something internal, then at most it would be an amplifier rather than a
          power source.

          The problem with Kuroda beaming in the power to the TV scanner is what
          frequency. The same carrier wave would send the signals back & strictly
          speaking, considering how the scanner can change through the electromagnetic
          spectrum, it isn't a standard camera but probably an early example of
          digital.
          Anyway, I'm side-tracking. On the em scale, it's probably low frequency
          microwaves. Not enough to fry the brains & with the TV scanner's internal
          ariel probably easy to direct at it than the Probe. Notice how Lockwood how
          to rotate the scanner in the cellar for best transmission. Thank the
          Illuminatii that Leslie Stevens wrote stories that were internally
          consistent.