Random Thoughts/ Triva/ Information

  • dmanmetz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2005
      Hi gang. Happy New Year again. Just had a few things on my mind to share.
      Search/ Man From Uncle Connection: Did you know that Mary Ann Mobley , Lilia
      Moen in episode 3 (Short Circuit) played the original character of April
      Dancer on The Man From Uncle during it’s second season on Feb 25, 1966. When the
      series was spun off the next year, Stefanie Powers, Jill Davenport in episode
      2 (One of our Probes is Missing) took over as April Dancer. You can read all
      about it at _http://www.tvobscurities.com/shows/gfu.php_
      (http://www.tvobscurities.com/shows/gfu.php)
      Did you know that episode 13 (A Honeymoon to Kill) was reunion for Doug
      McClure and Gary Clark (Julian Whitfield). Clark starred with McClure on the
      first two seasons of the Virginian as ranch hand Steve Hill. I guess the
      friendship with McClure may have played a part in him getting the role.
      Did you know that Luciana Plauzzi, (Carla Lucchese Whitefield) in episode 13
      (A Honeymoon to Kill) was a “Bond” girl. She played Fiona Volpe in 1965’s
      Thunderball.
      Good Life Network: Don’t know how many of your cable companies carry this
      channel, but every night, they show old classic TV shows from a 9PM to 11PM
      block. On Mondays they show detective shows. I have discovered a Gem of a show
      called Harry O (1974-1976), starring the late great David Janssen. I always
      heard good things about this show, but never saw it. This show is often
      considered the runner up to Rockford Files as the best TV detective show. I heard it
      was a modest hit, but it was cancelled because ABC changed heads and decided
      do away with anything that was not a big hit. To bad. Also, did you know:
      Aaron Spelling was going to call his new TV show Harry’s Angels , but changed it
      to Charlie’s Angels because he didn’t want the public to get it mixed up
      with Harry O. Meaningless trivia.:) The other shows for Monday night are 77
      Sunset Strip and Hawaiian Eye. Wednesday is Spy Night. I Spy is on at 9PM
      followed by the first season of Man From Uncle and The Girl from Uncle at 11PM.
      Thursday is western night with Kung Fu, Maverick and Cheyenne. Friday is The
      FBI for three straight hours. Forget lazy TV land, these is are the real shows
      that Rock!
      Hallmark network shows the Virginian with Doug McClure every Saturday at 1PM
      and at 12 am. The Westeren channel started showing uncut/ clear episodes of
      Alias Smith and Jones Mon thru Fri at 5PM. I discovered Ben Murphy from NBC’s
      Gemini Man (1976) which was produced by our guy Leslie Stevens
      SEARCH related:
      IMDB has all of the episodes and guest stars listed now.
      For those of you who have not read it yet, TV Party is running Don Harden’s
      well written article about Search for this month. _http://www.tvparty.com/_
      (http://www.tvparty.com/)
      After having a bear of a time converting my Search articles to JPEGS, I have
      sent them to John and Don and they should be posted soon for all to enjoy.
      Well, I think I’ve said enough. Hope you guys get something out of this.
      Talk to you later.
      Chris

    • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
        I don't know this network. I have missed "Harry O" since its untimely
        cancellation in 1976. Personally, I've suspected the cancellation has been
        attributed to series production problems. Lately, it's been coming out about David
        Janssen drinking.

        > Good Life Network: Don’t know how many of your cable companies carry this
        > channel, but every night, they show old classic TV shows from a 9PM to 11PM
        > block. On Mondays they show detective shows. I have discovered a Gem of a
        > show
        > called Harry O (1974-1976), starring the late great David Janssen. I always
        >
        > heard good things about this show, but never saw it. This show is often
        > considered the runner up to Rockford Files as the best TV detective show. I
        > heard it
        > was a modest hit, but it was cancelled because ABC changed heads and
        > decided
        > do away with anything that was not a big hit.

      • Skip Brown
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 12, 2005
            I remember both series. As I recall "O'Hara" was a traditional police
            investigation drama, not unlike "The FBI."

            However, your comment about "Harry O" does ring true. It was along the
            lines of the new "anti-cop" type show. I think that it followed "Get
            Christy Love" on Saturdays.

            --- In probe_control@yahoogroups.com, "Skip Brown" <skipster61@e...>

          • dmanmetz@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13, 2005
              Actually it followed "The Streets of San Francisco" at 10PM fon Thursdays
              for the two years it was on.

              Chris

            • yorktowncmdr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
                I am overdue with this post.

                "Harry-O" was a 10pm Thursday night fixture. I can't recall what it followed
                though. I
                don't believe ABC ever moved it from that slot even once.

                David

              • dmanmetz@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 30, 2005
                  The Streets of San Francisco.