Jim Alexander's SEARCH audio cassettes

  • Don Harden
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 12, 2000
      Howdy folks, Don again. Jim Alexander recently sent me some audio
      cassettes he recorded back during 1972-73 when SEARCH was running on
      NBC. I had a chance to go through them and here's what I found:

      "LIVE MEN TELL TALES" is the complete NBC audio of the rerun with all
      commercials and the "MOONROCK" scenes to next week.

      "THE ADONIS FILE" is the NBC audio of the first run of that episode.
      No commercials in this one. Before the episode begins, you have the
      scenes to next week for "ADONIS" from the previous week. The scenes
      to next week at the end of this audio are for "FLIGHT TO NOWHERE."

      The tape marked "SEARCH Pilot Film" is from the Aug. 1972 NBC rerun
      of the Probe pilot renamed "SEARCH." At the beginning you have part
      of the NBC opening with an announcer mentioning the guest stars,
      joined in progress. No commercials. After the NBC opening, it jumps
      directly to the beginning of the "SEARCH" theme opening credits. (No
      scene of Lockwood dodging bullets in the village is on the tape.)
      When the opening credits music ends, it goes directly to the scene of
      Lockwood walking toward the Probe Control entrance. (No Cam or Dr.
      Laurent on the phone and the discussion of Lockwood's bonus, etc.
      Apparently that scene never made it to the network? Or was it only
      cut for the rerun?)

      On the second tape marked "SEARCH Pilot Film Tape Two Side One," the
      pilot continues. When I turned over to Side Two, the closing credits
      ended, and then it switched to an NBC promo for the then-upcoming
      Search series! After this, though, is the most important find of
      all! You have portions of Act Two of "THE GOLD MACHINE"! It starts
      when Lockwood is in Eastland's room and finds him dead slumped over a
      book of poetry. The tape ends during Lockwood and Gloria's visit to
      Harant's Book Store.

      Overall, the sound quality varies. Some of it is pretty good, the
      worst one unfortunately is the portions of "GOLD MACHINE." Some of
      that one is difficult to make out. However, I have an equalizer here
      which helps filter out some of the distortions.

      I noticed that the "cheesy cool music" plays a couple of times
      in "GOLD." That bit of music apparently originated with this
      episode. Anyway, I think we have enough historical material for at
      least two, maybe three more audio CDs for the group!

      Interested group members should get in touch with me at
      dghprobe3@... so I can know better how many audio CDs I should
      make of the above. If anyone else has audio recordings of SEARCH
      from 1972-73, post it here and let us know. Thanks!
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 13, 2000
        Don, I for one would love copies. Tell me the cost. I think I told you this
        before, but I had several audio tapes that were destroyed about 6 years ago
        when trees fell on my house during a flood/windstorm.