Re: Digital TV

    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2004
      --- In probe_control, "Morningstar" wrote:
      > First, the stations have already been sold. They were auctioned off
      > several years ago...

      Ahh, thanks for the info. Evidently I'd been reading dated info on
      the auctioning of stations. But I was wondering if the Average Joe
      is aware these changes are about to take place, soon to be mandatory
      within the next few years.
    • Morningstar
      Message 2 of 12 , May 5, 2004
        Of course not. No one wants to tell anyone. The government doesn't
        want to let everyone know that they sold the digital stations at a
        bargain price.

        Television manufacturers don't want to tell people that the
        televisions in the showrooms are going to be obsolete in a few years.

        Local broadcasters don't want to let everyone know that they will be
        showing substandard material until they upgrade. No one wants to say
        anything.

        Interesting things about the broadcasting. Has anyone ever worried
        about the "v-chip?" I mean, since it is designed to interupt
        television reception, and the emergency alert system is nationwide,
        what happens if there is something that the government doesn't want
        people to know? Can the government activate the "v-chip" through the EAS?

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 15, 2011
          Hello Rob

          I�ll have to look at my book photos tomorrow of the pod again tomorrow. The Net doesn�t appear to have any close-ups. It�s a shame Kubrick never showed the source of the thrust in the film. Even a touch of vapour slowing down would have made sense but I guess someone would be asking what was causing steam in space. I never came across any info about pod thrust in any of the books.

          As to the amount of thrust. I�m well aware of the laws of motion. It isn�t that Poole had a mounting acceleration, I seem to recall Clarke saying that Poole would have come about the Discovery at some point, just that the longer it took to get there the greater the chance that Poole would have run out of oxygen. I think we can assume that when he chased Poole, Bowman thought he was alive.

          Discovery didn�t need to be accelerating. If anything Poole would be slowing down so had he been alive, he would have been left behind. I�m not entirely convinced by 3001, mostly cos Clarke needed a character to maintain the connection to the first book. Poole wasn�t actually in suspended animation but revived from being frozen solid. Not quite the same thing. He was just lucky that he didn�t have cell damage.

          Hello David Marks

          Oh, I�m not doubting that the pods wouldn�t need much fuel around the Discovery, but I would question the amount to get that distance and back with Poole�s body. Even if that was the case, the pod could be controlled by remote by Bowman as much as HAL and he wouldn�t have left Discovery but then there would go half the story and HAL would have evacuated all the air and go on alone.

          I think you�ll find the Gemini and Apollo capsules will far larger than the pods so would have had a bigger fuel reserve to fall back on.